PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Strings!

Parker512
08-16-2010, 02:12 PM
What do they play like? Also how long do they last if you don't put alot of power on the ball? Plus are there grips like Babolats new ones?

dodgers
08-16-2010, 02:51 PM
Played with the Comfort Polyester, not too bad. I'm not a power hitter and the strings lasted me about a month. My stringer was not impressed with the amount of silicon on the string. He said it made quite a mess and had to clean his machine down after the stringing job.

rodrigoamaral
08-16-2010, 03:19 PM
i tried them about a month ago and thought they were just average.. really didnt suit my game or my racquet..

schenkelini
08-16-2010, 04:19 PM
I really like the comfort ploy. I think that it plays great and is very arm friendly with average power for a poly.

Doubles
08-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Average power for all of the strings. The poly's are both nice in terms of comfort, and crispness. Control is a great benefit for all of the strings. Durability is average, maybe a little moreso. The grips are alright, but nothing too special...

Parker512
08-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Any on the power synthetic?

fgs
08-17-2010, 01:04 AM
strings are a very delicate issue and of course it's reasonable to check for feedback, but trying them out yourself will be the only way to find out if they do fit you.
for instance i'm completely thrilled with the mantis power poly mains and mantis power syn hybrid. i don't know what level i am since in europe we don't have anything similar to the ntrp ratings, but i play tennis for 40 years now and still competing in the +45 currently (winning the nationals in romania). so, i think i know a thing or two about tennis and can't be a very bad player.
i've done a review of both the power poly/power syn and power poly/comfort syn hybrids - check them out.
i found particulerly the first combination to last me very long (12 hitting hours) as opposed to a lot of other combinations which usually get me around 8 hitting hours. in the past 10 months i've played more than 25 different strings and besides the mantis strings i'm particularly fond of the kirschbaum competition and the luxilon adrenaline - which come in also more expensive, so that my current setup is with the mantis power polyester.
i don't have (reasonable) acces to genesis and solinco strings, as buying from the us imparts prohibitive shipping costs, but i've had my fair share of msv, signum pro, other kirschbaums, isospeed, big hitter, tecnifibre, babolat and pacific.
what i can say is that they truly deliver no stand-out quality except for tension maintenance, but the most important thing for me is that they do blend in at a high level of all the other characteristics like power, control, spin, comfort, etc. for my game style they offer a really perfect (close to perfect) blend of characteristics. there are strings that spin more but have less control or lose tension after three hitting hours. there are strings with more control but much less power, so i started to have slight shoulder issues due to overhitting, etc.
i've played much more expensive combinations but currently have not found a setup with more pleasing results.
i do state once again that string choice and tension range are very individual, so what for me can be a perfect match, for others can be a complete disaster. the only way to find out is trying yourself.