PDA

View Full Version : Original Pro Hurricane = underrated?

Falloutjr
08-16-2010, 06:57 PM
I've always wondered why the original Pro Hurricane never gets any love around here. It's the least stiff poly I have ever played with, and has the lowest listed stiffness of any poly string on RSI (at least 18, the gauge I use), has decent power, above average spin production, good durability and tension maintenance and is a phenomenal co-poly for people with arm troubles, it's less stiff than some synthetic strings, and at $10.95 a set, is reasonably priced given it's playability. I don't think this is a string that should fall by the wayside

/.02

meowmix
08-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Honestly, I don't think it IS underrated. It's still highly recommended as a softer polyester.

However, given how many options that have come into the market in the recent years, I'm not surprised that it's not as popular as it once was. When it was introduced, there was PH, and then pretty much nothing else in that softness class. Now, you have plenty of relatively arm friendly polys, many of them costing the same or less.

The biggest issue is that PH isn't that cheap in reel form. There are plenty of polys that cost as much as PH does in set form, but then their reels are a lot cheaper. IMO, that is the biggest contributor to its decline in popularity.

Fugazi
08-16-2010, 08:47 PM
As anyone actually compared PH with PHT?

15-0
08-17-2010, 03:36 AM
PHT loses tension a lot quicker but has more power and slightly more spin maybe less control. For my purposes i prefer the PH over PHT. Btw, PH has more durability.

fgs
08-17-2010, 04:20 AM
i found that the pro hurricane plays very close to the kirschbaum competition with one major difference in my opinion - i played the competition for 8-9 hitting hours without any significant tension drop, while the pro hurricane lasts about 4-5 hours and then turns dead.

rodrigoamaral
08-17-2010, 06:44 AM
Honestly, I don't think it IS underrated. It's still highly recommended as a softer polyester.

However, given how many options that have come into the market in the recent years, I'm not surprised that it's not as popular as it once was. When it was introduced, there was PH, and then pretty much nothing else in that softness class. Now, you have plenty of relatively arm friendly polys, many of them costing the same or less.

The biggest issue is that PH isn't that cheap in reel form. There are plenty of polys that cost as much as PH does in set form, but then their reels are a lot cheaper. IMO, that is the biggest contributor to its decline in popularity.

completely agree with you here.. There are many, many better polys out there with similar performance at a fraction of the price..