PDA

View Full Version : Safe to string a racket with no grommets in Throat?

David123
08-16-2010, 08:59 PM
I just received a racket from a friend. An old prince, and it has grommets everywhere but in the throat. Is it safe to string up?

meowmix
08-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Put in some tubing. It'll prevent the string from sawing through the graphite.

David123
08-16-2010, 10:17 PM
I don't have tubing. Is it still safe?

esgee48
08-17-2010, 08:24 AM
You need to tube the throat otherwise your friend may end up breaking the string at the throat when hitting. The angle turn the string makes may end up being too sharp without the tube. You may also want to consider using power pads to lessen the sharp angle turn.

drakulie
08-17-2010, 08:34 AM
^^is it supposed to have grommets in the throat?? Some older frames don't have grommets in the throat, although I doubt this is one of those instances.

As others have stated, if it is supposed to have grommets, you will need to tube it. the sharp edges of the grommet holes will snap the string.

rich s
08-17-2010, 09:07 AM
I just received a racket from a friend. An old prince, and it has grommets everywhere but in the throat. Is it safe to string up?

what is the model of the racquet?.... that will help determine if it is supposed to have grommets at the throat or not......

Irvin
08-17-2010, 10:31 AM
I can't remember a Prince racket that did not have grommets in the throat. Get some individual replacement grommets and put some power pads in between them.

Irvin

lefty10spro
08-17-2010, 01:09 PM
There was a prince triple threat that was brown and it was one of those big snowshoe shaped frames. For a while it strung right over and around an inverted arc of a throat that had no holes. I used to put leather under that throat bar because the strings ate into the frame's finish. Can't remember the name of that beast, but the throat design was eventually changed. It sounds like what this guy might have.

Bud
08-17-2010, 01:27 PM
There was a prince triple threat that was brown and it was one of those big snowshoe shaped frames. For a while it strung right over and around an inverted arc of a throat that had no holes. I used to put leather under that throat bar because the strings ate into the frame's finish. Can't remember the name of that beast, but the throat design was eventually changed. It sounds like what this guy might have.

Wasn't it called the Prince TT Ring... or something to that effect?

http://www.epinions.com/images/opti/35/b7/sprtTennisPrince_Triple_Threat_Ring-resized200.gif

lefty10spro
08-17-2010, 01:43 PM
That's it! Now I can sleep tonight!

drakulie
08-17-2010, 01:50 PM
The Prince Original Graphite (first version), also had no grommets anywhere or bumperguard. Still have mine, along with the suede full bag cover it came with. Possibly the nicest racquet bag cover ever. :)

Rock Strongo
08-17-2010, 02:01 PM
The Prince Original Graphite (first version), also had no grommets anywhere or bumperguard. Still have mine, along with the suede full bag cover it came with. Possibly the nicest racquet bag cover ever. :)

How does that work out? Wouldn't the string break very quickly? Or at least they'd saw through the frame?

David123
08-17-2010, 03:55 PM
haha I am pretty sure the racket is supposed to have grommets at throat. The racket is called Prince Competitor Widebody power zone.

Outlined
08-17-2010, 05:33 PM

In that case I would like to point you to the following topic (of mine) :)
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=342514

drakulie
08-17-2010, 06:15 PM
In that case I would like to point you to the following topic (of mine) :)
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=342514

Nice! The one pictured here from the thread you posted is the one I have.

mmmmm suede:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc28/mdjenders/FILE0220.jpg

drakulie
08-17-2010, 06:17 PM
How does that work out? Wouldn't the string break very quickly? Or at least they'd saw through the frame?

Rock, picture the current Prince O Port Frames, except with much smaller holes. Every hole where the string goes thur is rounded and smooth. No sharp angles, and the string won't saw thru the frame because the material is extremely thick.