PDA

View Full Version : flex league question

HFS
08-17-2010, 07:17 AM
I have a flex league opponent who has, on three different occassions, committed to play our match, only to back out the next day saying that he can't make it or that he forgot that he already had something scheduled. Each time he backs out, we are more than 24 hours from the play time/date. In general, I don't like the thought of defaulting someone (I paid for the match so I would prefer to play it), but I don't like being jerked around either. Has anyone ever had this happen? How did you handle it?

JRstriker12
08-17-2010, 07:35 AM
I have a flex league opponent who has, on three different occassions, committed to play our match, only to back out the next day saying that he can't make it or that he forgot that he already had something scheduled. Each time he backs out, we are more than 24 hours from the play time/date. In general, I don't like the thought of defaulting someone (I paid for the match so I would prefer to play it), but I don't like being jerked around either. Has anyone ever had this happen? How did you handle it?

Hasn't happend to me ( I haven't played Flex yet), but it may be time to contact the coordinator.

A quick google search reveals that - According to the rules he defaulted the match:

http://www.usta.com/Play-Tennis/Flex-Leagues/Information/Flex_Leagues_rules/

2. Schedule Matches Schedules will be created suggesting a week for matches to be played. Matches can be played any time agreed upon by both players (or both doubles pairs). All matches should be completed and scores entered by the Season End Date for the program. Most leagues will schedule an extra week to complete all matches. Defaults should not be recorded until end of league season unless a player or doubles team has cancelled twice once a day/time has been confirmed. It is understood that some players may be unavailable during part of the season but planning to play more matches toward the end of the season. Any match where one player or doubles team attempted to schedule a day/time with opponents that remained unplayed at the end of the season should be recorded as a default by the player/doubles team that attempted to schedule the match.

If it happens once, okay, we all have unforseen events happen. But a third time is too much - IMHO.

goober
08-17-2010, 07:39 AM
3 strikes and you are out in my book. I wouldn't even bother contacting him again. I would email the flex league coordinator. You probably could get a default which you don't want, but the coordinator could give him some type of warning. Maybe it won't change anything, but at least he might be kept out of future leagues so you won't have to put up with it. Thankfully I have never seen that type of person. Usually I see a person who never responds to emails or calls or just plays one match and doesn't play any others.

Lefty5
08-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Default them and don't feel bad about it. If they are jerks enough to not respect your time (repeatedly), how can they complain... On a side note, Ultimate and T2 should build in a rating system that follows a player around. i.e. rate the player on ease of scheduling, honoring commitments, responsiveness, etc..., kinda like **** sellers carry around their ratings. I think it would help people to become more accountable, something BADLY needed in these flex leagues.

AR15
08-17-2010, 02:22 PM
I was personally frustrated this season by a couple of players that didn't return emails or voice mails from me when I was contacting them to play. I wrote them off and had no plans to play them. Now that there is only a week left, they are calling me desperate to get their matches finished.

My win/loss record is in the middle of the pack, and playing these guys isn't going to drop me to the bottom or raise me to the top. But, I'll play them at my convenience.

thejuice
08-17-2010, 03:37 PM
On a side note, Ultimate and T2 should build in a rating system that follows a player around. i.e. rate the player on ease of scheduling, honoring commitments, responsiveness, etc..., kinda like **** sellers carry around their ratings. I think it would help people to become more accountable, something BADLY needed in these flex leagues.

Great idea!!!! I hope some of the UT and T2 people see this.

ut_staff
08-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread. I'm not sure which flex league that the OP is playing, but I would like to respond on how we at Ultimate Tennis handle these situations. We basically have a "3 strikes and you're out" code of conduct, in which the 3rd offense is suspension from the league. This includes unexcused defaults, bad line calls, unsportsmanlike conduct, etc. We don't want those players in the league either.

Lefty5
08-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread. I'm not sure which flex league that the OP is playing, but I would like to respond on how we at Ultimate Tennis handle these situations. We basically have a "3 strikes and you're out" code of conduct, in which the 3rd offense is suspension from the league. This includes unexcused defaults, bad line calls, unsportsmanlike conduct, etc. We don't want those players in the league either.

UT is my favorite but still there is a big gap between playing respectful and responsive people vs. playing deadbeats that do just enough to not get the 3 strikes... I still think an e b a y seller type rating system would be a great way to motivate people to want to be more accountable...

ut_staff
08-24-2010, 06:24 PM
UT is my favorite but still there is a big gap between playing respectful and responsive people vs. playing deadbeats that do just enough to not get the 3 strikes... I still think an e b a y seller type rating system would be a great way to motivate people to want to be more accountable...
Lefty5, sounds like you're a dedicated player. We'd love to hear your ideas as we are working on some of these same issues. If you'd like, you can email me directly, marketing@ultimatetennis.com Attn: Cindy. Thanks!

Lefty5
08-25-2010, 07:14 AM
Lefty5, sounds like you're a dedicated player. We'd love to hear your ideas as we are working on some of these same issues. If you'd like, you can email me directly, marketing@ultimatetennis.com Attn: Cindy. Thanks!

I don't have a lot more to add.... Maybe once the scores are entered, send out an automatically generated email to both players asking to rate the player 1-5 on the overall experience (scheduling, responsiveness, sportsmanship, etc..), and a place for comments. The average rating and comments should be attached to the players profile. I suppose the player should have a place to respond or defend himself as well.

maybe you can pilot this in a couple divisions to see how it goes to make sure it doesn't open a huge can of worms.

That's all I've got. And yes, I'm getting ready now to sign up for the fall!

Thanks

SweetH2O
08-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Peach Tennis has you rate your opponent for sportsmanship and responsivenesss when you enter scores. But results aren't published publicly. They sometimes give away a small weekly prize to players with good sportsmanship.

Lefty's idea is pretty good except I wouldn't leave any bad written comments. It would be too easy for someone to figure out who left bad comments about them. And that would only make a bad situation worse next season when I had to play them again. I would rate opponents on a scale of 1-5 or something if it all got averaged and individual responses were less obvious.

Lefty5
08-26-2010, 05:21 AM
I would not make the feedback or ratings anonymous.... It all needs to be visible and open to all to avoid senseless negative feedback.

ut_staff
08-26-2010, 07:03 AM
All good ideas on the rating of the players. I think you'll find the things you are looking for on our website in the near future. Have a great fall season!