PDA

View Full Version : Shaving grip

Arafel
05-27-2005, 04:58 PM
How hard is it to change a grip size? I know it's possible to shave a grip down a little, but could you say shave a 4 1/2 down to a 4 3/8, and how would you do it?

CliffH
05-27-2005, 07:41 PM
I used to do it in the tennis shop all the time. I think other people have posted about this.

Our technique was to use a black felt tip marking pen and cover the pallet in ink, then use a metal file, cleaning it often & sand perfectly along each of the flat grip sides with the same number of strokes per grip side to keep them identical until the ink was gone, then remeasure the grip for a change. It usually would shave a grip by 1/16 each time.

A note: a good shop does not charge very much. It is so eaasy to screw it up and waste a racket, let them do it!!!!!!

We charged $10. It was a deal since the grip needs to have new staples at the base to hold the butt cap on & the grip to it and new sticky tape under the length of the grip to look new. Sometimes the shops will have the correct butt cap for the new grip size. Add correct new tape to finish the grip.

We also used to get the exact measurements, without the grip, of the desired grip size for that model.

It was cool when you got it so perfect that you could compare it to a new frame. Then you knew you were a total racquet ggeeeekkkk.

good luck

doriancito
05-28-2005, 07:34 AM
just take out the original grip and replace it by a over grip.....that shall work!

safin_protege
05-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Are there any thinner replacement grips that would decrease the grip size, like a thin leather grip?

Fortylove
05-29-2005, 06:40 PM
What type of file and size did you use to shave a grip? Does a file work better that sandpapper?

deme08
01-11-2008, 08:46 AM
"What type of file and size did you use to shave a grip? Does a file work better that sandpapper?"

After sizing down several handles (same shape) plus changing the shape of some other handles (I love Head shape, but playing Dunlop now), I think I can provide some tips (by the way... do use search, there are several wonderful post in this forum. I learnt A LOT from them).
1. Use a caliber or alike tool able to mesure up to 0,1 mm. You want to be precise.
2. Measure your handle and draw an schematic diagram of the handle and the dimensions of each face. You'll have to grind half the desired size on each face so you keep the ratios between faces.
3. Do not use sand paper. Yes, this is against all the advices here. Rather do use a flie with a rectangular shape (the typical tool for prison inmates :twisted:) This will help you to keep the surfaces flat and bowels sharp.
4. Use a marker. Paint 1 face. Use the file to grind... the coloured surface will provide you a guide of how much are taking out and where.
5. Grind a little bit. Measure with the caliber. Grind, measure, grind measure
6. Do not be impatient. There are 8 faces per racquet. Slow down...

Again, do some search and you'll find better tips than mine for sure. Enjoy!!

kenshireen
01-11-2008, 03:57 PM
I have shaved grips down... Sandpaper works ONLY if you have the skill to not wreck the edges of the 1,3,5,7 bevels.... You need to wrap the sandpaper around a flat instrument that measures the same size as the bevels

Ken

racquet_jedi
01-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Shaving down the handle does, however, void the racquet's warranty...

SonRK
01-11-2008, 04:58 PM
I have 2 Head Microgel Radicals, but one is 4 1/2 and the other is 4 3/8s. I prefer the 3/8s size so now I'm tryign to consider between (A) Shaving it by myself (highly unlikely that I'm gonna do this step), (B) Try to find a 3/8 pallet or (C) Send it to RPNY.

I think trying to find a 3/8 pallet would be the cheapest, but I don't think they're that easy to find =[

svebriyos
01-11-2008, 05:02 PM
I have 2 Head Microgel Radicals, but one is 4 1/2 and the other is 4 3/8s. I prefer the 3/8s size so now I'm tryign to consider between (A) Shaving it by myself (highly unlikely that I'm gonna do this step), (B) Try to find a 3/8 pallet or (C) Send it to RPNY.

I think trying to find a 3/8 pallet would be the cheapest, but I don't think they're that easy to find =[

Email me. I have head pallets.

SonRK
01-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Email me. I have head pallets.

I can't find your email information.

svebriyos
01-11-2008, 05:19 PM
I used to do it in the tennis shop all the time. I think other people have posted about this.

Our technique was to use a black felt tip marking pen and cover the pallet in ink, then use a metal file, cleaning it often & sand perfectly along each of the flat grip sides with the same number of strokes per grip side to keep them identical until the ink was gone, then remeasure the grip for a change. It usually would shave a grip by 1/16 each time.

A note: a good shop does not charge very much. It is so eaasy to screw it up and waste a racket, let them do it!!!!!!

We charged $10. It was a deal since the grip needs to have new staples at the base to hold the butt cap on & the grip to it and new sticky tape under the length of the grip to look new. Sometimes the shops will have the correct butt cap for the new grip size. Add correct new tape to finish the grip.

We also used to get the exact measurements, without the grip, of the desired grip size for that model.

It was cool when you got it so perfect that you could compare it to a new frame. Then you knew you were a total racquet ggeeeekkkk.

good luck

You are my HERO!!! You are doing all that work for $10 :shock:

I used to make model handles and duplicates for Pro players to test before making a mold of their favorite one. It's a lot of work if you do it right.
I wouldn't touch a frame for less than $45.

Hats off to you.

svebriyos
01-11-2008, 05:21 PM
I can't find your email information.

Sorry :oops:, I'm new to this. svebriyos@yahoo.com

TheShaun
01-11-2008, 05:22 PM

you could try and do a straight up trade here on the forum.

deme08
01-11-2008, 07:19 PM

Why not do it yourself? Just practice on an old raquet first. It's not as complicated as it sounds.

Have fun playing tennis as well as customizing your racquets:)

Jackie T. Stephens
01-11-2008, 07:23 PM
"What type of file and size did you use to shave a grip? Does a file work better that sandpapper?"

Does it work on leather grips to??

YULitle
01-11-2008, 07:38 PM
You don't shave the grip. You shave the handle underneath it.

deme08
01-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Does it work on leather grips to??

As yulitle said, we are talking about shaving the handle underneath the leather or synthetic grip. If you want a smaller grip you could either shave the handle or get a thinner synthetic grip.

YULitle
01-11-2008, 08:31 PM
just take out the original grip and replace it by a over grip.....that shall work!

If you want a grip that feels awful, do what he said. Not a good method for people with tender hands.

SonRK
01-11-2008, 09:14 PM
All right guys, I managed to find a friend with an FXP Prestige who just happened to want a 4 1/2 grip, BUT had a 3/8 grip on his racquet. Perfect I thought!

So he dropped it over at my house and I took out the grips, cleaned off the sticky stuff. Then I took off the buttcap and pushed the staples out of the butt. I then took off the butt and then came the hardest part; taking off the pallet.

This was the hardest thing ever for me! I cracked it into small pieces and I got ****ed thinking I was going to screw it up hardcore. I started off with his racquet so I would end up getting the poorly taken off pallet. I ended up having to use tape and pretend it was a jigsaw puzzle to get it back to look normal. FOR both racquets I ended up taking off one half of the pallet in perfect condition. I guess with practice you can take them off with minimal to no cracking.

I then swapped the pallets, put in all the pieces, and added a little tape again to make them look good. Put the butt back on and stapled it to the pallet, and then regripped them with their original grips. I wanted to put a new grip on but I didn't have any on me today, tomorrow I will buy new grips for both racquets.

And in the end, I now have a 3/8 Radical and my friend has a 1/2 Prestige :D

roller~
01-11-2008, 11:56 PM
I think it has a small bad effect on Balance.

JackSkellington
01-12-2008, 12:03 AM
All right guys, I managed to find a friend with an FXP Prestige who just happened to want a 4 1/2 grip, BUT had a 3/8 grip on his racquet. Perfect I thought!

So he dropped it over at my house and I took out the grips, cleaned off the sticky stuff. Then I took off the buttcap and pushed the staples out of the butt. I then took off the butt and then came the hardest part; taking off the pallet.

This was the hardest thing ever for me! I cracked it into small pieces and I got ****ed thinking I was going to screw it up hardcore. I started off with his racquet so I would end up getting the poorly taken off pallet. I ended up having to use tape and pretend it was a jigsaw puzzle to get it back to look normal. FOR both racquets I ended up taking off one half of the pallet in perfect condition. I guess with practice you can take them off with minimal to no cracking.

I then swapped the pallets, put in all the pieces, and added a little tape again to make them look good. Put the butt back on and stapled it to the pallet, and then regripped them with their original grips. I wanted to put a new grip on but I didn't have any on me today, tomorrow I will buy new grips for both racquets.

And in the end, I now have a 3/8 Radical and my friend has a 1/2 Prestige :D

Pray they don't squeak when you play :p