PDA

View Full Version : Strings breaking up top? Please help, gurus.

servelefty2233
08-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Ok, so I use the POG OS, and my string set up is MSV Co-focus 1.27 in the mains and MSV Hex 1.23 in the crosses at 65 lbs. I string them myself one a Neos. For quite a while, the strings have been breaking right up top, almost exactly on the grommets. It is getting very frustrating, as in my last 3 hours of play, I have averaged breaking a string once every 37 minutes. :evil: If anyone could offer some advice as to why this is occurring, please let me know. Much appreciated.

jim e
08-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Ok, so I use the POG OS, and my string set up is MSV Co-focus 1.27 in the mains and MSV Hex 1.23 in the crosses at 65 lbs. I string them myself one a Neos. For quite a while, the strings have been breaking right up top, almost exactly on the grommets. It is getting very frustrating, as in my last 3 hours of play, I have averaged breaking a string once every 37 minutes. :evil: If anyone could offer some advice as to why this is occurring, please let me know. Much appreciated.

A % of the time it could be too tight clamp pressure weakening the string, or not enough tightness and the string slips especially on the 1st pull, which weakens the string.On the 1st pull, I do not have the clamp pressure too tight, but since this is the most tension applied against a machines clamp on the 1st pull, I normally back it up with a starting clamp to be sure no slippage.Some strings are more sensative to clamping issues than others.

servelefty2233
08-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks a lot. I will try that tonight.

jim e
08-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks a lot. I will try that tonight.

This is how I start my mains now.Its a nice easy method, and you do not need to have your clamp pressure as tight to hold.
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2009/09/the_yusuki_method_of_starting.html

Irvin
08-18-2010, 04:15 AM
There are many Poly and Co-poly strings that have a tendancy to shear near the top. Not too much you can do about that except switch to another string or lower your tension. But before you do try putting some power pads at the top of the frame.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=340387&highlight=power+pad

Irvin