PDA

View Full Version : Tournament rating superseding C rating subject to three strikes DQ

Greedy Partner
08-17-2010, 04:57 PM
At districts this past weekend, one of the players on my team received a three strikes DQ, which reversed a team win that would have sent us on to sectionals.

The player had a 4.0T rating. In 2007, he played 3.5 and received a 3.5C. In 2008, he played 3.5 and got bumped up to 4.0C. In 2009, he didn't play in a league, but played tournaments, which resulted in a 4.0T rating.

The 4.0T is subject to a three strikes DQ, but a 4.0C is not subject to a three strikes DQ. While the rules seem fairly clear that a rating is valid for 3 years until superseded by another rating (in this case, the 4.0T), this seems like a disincentive for people to play in tournaments.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this situation and potential appeals?

J_R_B
08-17-2010, 05:13 PM
At districts this past weekend, one of the players on my team received a three strikes DQ, which reversed a team win that would have sent us on to sectionals.

The player had a 4.0T rating. In 2007, he played 3.5 and received a 3.5C. In 2008, he played 3.5 and got bumped up to 4.0C. In 2009, he didn't play in a league, but played tournaments, which resulted in a 4.0T rating.

The 4.0T is subject to a three strikes DQ, but a 4.0C is not subject to a three strikes DQ. While the rules seem fairly clear that a rating is valid for 3 years until superseded by another rating (in this case, the 4.0T), this seems like a disincentive for people to play in tournaments.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this situation and potential appeals?

That seems strange. I would have thought that the C rating would have remained for 3 years, but I guess not.

jonnyjack
08-18-2010, 01:17 PM
I think I know exactly who you're talking about, you guys ended up loading 2-3 on Fri, win 4-1, Sat and Sun due to the overturned matches right?

I think players who have a T rating should be safe from 3 strikes like a C or B player is. They get their ratings the same exact way since they're playing other players with dynamic ratings that were generated from playing league.

Sorry that happened to you guys. You guys actually have two T rated players get DQ'ed. USTA has gotta change that rule, only S and A players should be subject to 3 strikes IMO.