View Full Version : Polystar Energy Review

austinjbrunner
08-17-2010, 05:36 PM
gauge: 17 PolyStar Energy
racquet: Head Microgel Radical Pro
tension: 57 lbs
surface: Outdoor Hardcourt

power 9/10
Very powerful string. Taking cracks at the ball with this string is not hard to do. I would compare this string to the last string in my racket, which was Pro Hurricane Tour. Flat powerful shots felt clean with these strings.

control 9.5/10
Very good control with this string. I could place the ball when going for rally shots, and I could take cracks at it that would place right where I wanted. Serving, I could hit my spots without concern. Kicker, flat, down the T, out wide, they were all hit with precision.

feel 9.5/10
Drop shots are easy with this string. I could hit great touch shots with these strings, or stick volleys that seemed to dive right in the corner. My favorite approach shot is the backhand slice down the line, and this string seems to hold the ball on the strings long enough to place the ball right along the line.

spin - 8.5/10
I get more spin off these strings than say a Hurricane, but not as much as a RPM Blast to compare them to some poly's. That being said, the access to spin is great. I could hit loopy top spin forehands and I could flick short angle backhand top spin winners. This is a great string for spin, but there are other strings that can give more spin if needed.

durability/tension maintenance - 10/10 (SO FAR)
So far I have only fed practice and hit in some drills with the team I help coach but the few matches I have played, so far so good in terms of tension maintenance and durability.

overall
This is a great string at a great price. The biggest upside to me, is the arm comfort. I have experienced 0 problems in terms of tennis elbow since using this string over a week ago. If you are looking for a cheaper version of some of the "upper echelon" poly strings, I would highly recommend this string.

rodrigoamaral
08-17-2010, 05:38 PM
gauge: 17 PolyStar Energy
racquet: Head Microgel Radical Pro
tension: 57 lbs
surface: Outdoor Hardcourt

power 9/10
Very powerful string. Taking cracks at the ball with this string is not hard to do. I would compare this string to the last string in my racket, which was Pro Hurricane Tour. Flat powerful shots felt clean with these strings.

control 9.5/10
Very good control with this string. I could place the ball when going for rally shots, and I could take cracks at it that would place right where I wanted. Serving, I could hit my spots without concern. Kicker, flat, down the T, out wide, they were all hit with precision.

feel 9.5/10
Drop shots are easy with this string. I could hit great touch shots with these strings, or stick volleys that seemed to dive right in the corner. My favorite approach shot is the backhand slice down the line, and this string seems to hold the ball on the strings long enough to place the ball right along the line.

spin - 8.5/10
I get more spin off these strings than say a Hurricane, but not as much as a RPM Blast to compare them to some poly's. That being said, the access to spin is great. I could hit loopy top spin forehands and I could flick short angle backhand top spin winners. This is a great string for spin, but there are other strings that can give more spin if needed.

durability/tension maintenance - 10/10 (SO FAR)
So far I have only fed practice and hit in some drills with the team I help coach but the few matches I have played, so far so good in terms of tension maintenance and durability.

overall
This is a great string at a great price. The biggest upside to me, is the arm comfort. I have experienced 0 problems in terms of tennis elbow since using this string over a week ago. If you are looking for a cheaper version of some of the "upper echelon" poly strings, I would highly recommend this string.

thanks for the review.. glad to see my recommendation worked for you.. I agree that this string is really unique, amazing feel and comfort for a poly and a excellent price/ performance ratio..

tsongaali
08-17-2010, 05:47 PM
I also vouch for this string. It has superb comfort and elasticity for a poly:)

austinjbrunner
08-18-2010, 03:41 AM
thanks for the review.. glad to see my recommendation worked for you.. I agree that this string is really unique, amazing feel and comfort for a poly and a excellent price/ performance ratio..

Yea, it's great so far. My biggest concern was my arm issues. Playing with that pain was becoming a problem, despite the performance I was getting. This stuff so far has been great for that, and I haven't lost anything from the switch so I am a big fan of these strings. Also, paying 8 and some change compared to 15 is a nice bonus. Just one man's opinion though.

ManuGinobili
08-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Warning: will give you extreme urge to hit every ball as hard as possible.

Get a reel and it comes down to $4 per racket.

Ross K
08-19-2010, 01:06 AM
Agree with OP and have liked this string a while now... apart from when the tension drops some and it suddenly plays awful - like a massive trampoline!

austinjbrunner
08-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Warning: will give you extreme urge to hit every ball as hard as possible.

Get a reel and it comes down to $4 per racket.

Yea, I agree with the warning. I can take cuts and when it's a clean shot, the ball hits in the court. It's a darn good string. After trying it out, I am considering buying a reel. Under 100 for a reel that would save me money for a string I love at the moment...not bad.

Power Player
08-19-2010, 11:06 AM
I play at lower tensions..40#s with Solinco TB..44 with Dunlop Explosive..etc

What Tension is going to work for the polystar..can I do it at 44? I received a pack today.

austinjbrunner
08-19-2010, 11:53 AM

What Tension is going to work for the polystar..can I do it at 44? I received a pack today.

I believe Davydenko strings it in the 40's, so imagine you would be fine. I personally have never tried stringing that low, so I can't give you a real answer. I imagine this would work well at 44 with the control and power it gives.

Power Player
08-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Nice. I will give it a go some point soon and post my impressions.

Kam2010
08-19-2010, 02:41 PM
From this review, I will add this to my next order possibly by 1am today from stringers world

iplaylikeyourgrandma
08-19-2010, 04:00 PM
This is a great string, but the tension maintenance is horrible.
I strung this up at 53 lbs on a Graphite Oversize last Saturday. It felt great for about 2 or 3 hours. I stopped playing, took out the same racquet 4 days later, and it was a trampoline.

ManuGinobili
08-19-2010, 07:11 PM

I've been playing extensively at 15kg in the past month or so, hope this can give you a vague idea

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=4963873&postcount=37

ManuGinobili
08-19-2010, 07:14 PM
This is a great string, but the tension maintenance is horrible.
I strung this up at 53 lbs on a Graphite Oversize last Saturday. It felt great for about 2 or 3 hours. I stopped playing, took out the same racquet 4 days later, and it was a trampoline.

Has that happened a few times for you or only once? Because if a string sits in a racket untouched and unaffected by temperature/humidity, it only loses significant tension in the first 48 hours... after that there is minimal tension loss...

iplaylikeyourgrandma
08-19-2010, 07:49 PM
This has happened to me before. I am revisiting this string after stringing it up at 60 lbs in February. I have been slowly dropping my tension down since then, after switching from a syn gut to poly earlier this year.

I don't think it lost tension in the bag. I would say there was probably a gradual tension loss during my 1st hitting session over the 2 or 3 hours, and at the end I just didn't notice it being that bad. Then when I took out the racquet 4 days later, I noticed it.

austinjbrunner
08-19-2010, 07:49 PM
From this review, I will add this to my next order possibly by 1am today from stringers world

It's definitely worth a try at least. To me this is my saving grace at the moment in terms of a great poly string without the arm problems.

Edit: And the cost is nice too.

Tennis_Crazed
08-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Agree with OP and have liked this string a while now... apart from when the tension drops some and it suddenly plays awful - like a massive trampoline!

hmmm.. can someone confirm or comment on this?

How does tension maintenance compare to ALU Power?

dekko1
08-20-2010, 12:53 AM

It depends.
My playtime with Energy or Turbo (1.25) is about 3 hours, then it breaks. So for me, Energy or Turbro is perfect, whenever it starts to lose a bit too much tension, it breaks. I just string it a 2 pounds tighter than usual poly and it plays great the whole time.
So, I dont know how it is to have the strings on the racquet for long, how much tension it loses according to play time. Would be interesting to see a graph of Tension vs playtime.

austinjbrunner
08-20-2010, 02:57 AM

Personally, ALU did not last as long as this stuff. I have had this stuff for over a week and I am still playing fine with it. Did it lose some tension? Of course, but so far it hasn't lost enough to be THAT noticeable for me. I have done more feeding than match play, but I have hit with it and so far so good. When I start playing matches again, I imagine this will last a match or two for me and not much more. That being said, test it yourself. What is good for me, may not work for someone else. This is only my opinion.

eldub20
08-24-2010, 03:23 PM
...Would be interesting to see a graph of Tension vs playtime.

If it can help I strung my racquet at 62/64 with full Energy 1.25 and here are some Stringmeter readings:

0 hours=41.1 lbs
1 h=38.45
4.5 h=38.3
6.5 h=37.9

I would say that I am somewhere between a 4-4.5 S&V player and considered a medium to hard hitter.

Durability seems to be close to PL2 for me as it looks like I may have 1-2 hours of play left before they break and usually break PL2 at the 8h mark.

I used to play with PL2 and just ordered a reel of Energy...I find that Energy is close to PL2 in all aspects aside from the fact that it provides more power but if you increase the tension by 3 lbs it gets pretty close.

eldub20
08-24-2010, 03:31 PM
If it can help I strung my racquet at 62/64 with full Energy 1.25 and here are some Stringmeter readings:

0 hours=41.1 lbs
1 h=38.45
4.5 h=38.3
6.5 h=37.9

I forgot to mention the method I use with the Stringmeter...I take a reading of the 10 middle strings by alternating at the 10th & 11th cross strings from the throat and calculate the average for the 10 readings.

tsongaali
08-24-2010, 03:35 PM
I forgot to mention the method I use with the Stringmeter...I take a reading of the 10 middle strings by alternating at the 10th & 11th cross strings from the throat and calculate the average for the 10 readings.

hours of hitting or hours of the racquet just sitting there?

eldub20
08-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Hours of hitting over a period of 12 days after stringing the racquet.

bad_call
08-24-2010, 07:03 PM
It depends.
My playtime with Energy or Turbo (1.25) is about 3 hours, then it breaks. So for me, Energy or Turbro is perfect, whenever it starts to lose a bit too much tension, it breaks. I just string it a 2 pounds tighter than usual poly and it plays great the whole time.
So, I dont know how it is to have the strings on the racquet for long, how much tension it loses according to play time. Would be interesting to see a graph of Tension vs playtime.

3 hours is a bit low on durability. curious about the Turbo but maybe not.

what has been the longest lasting poly you've used ?

dekko1
08-25-2010, 12:07 AM
3 hours is a bit low on durability. curious about the Turbo but maybe not.

what has been the longest lasting poly you've used ?

It was a Toalson Ultimate Poly, 1.30. It was on my racquet for about 3 1/2 hours and I just cut it as it was completely dead.

It also depends, if I play on clay outdoors, I can break avg poly in less than 2 hours, also depends if I am coaching or playing a match. But indoors it can last over 3 hours.

Just recently I tried many polys, Pacific, Toalson, Babolat, Tecnifibre, and I think that Turbo and Energy were about avg in durability. Strike lasted the most out of the Polystar strings, and Classic was about the same as Turbo/Energy.

bad_call
08-25-2010, 03:44 AM
It was a Toalson Ultimate Poly, 1.30. It was on my racquet for about 3 1/2 hours and I just cut it as it was completely dead.

It also depends, if I play on clay outdoors, I can break avg poly in less than 2 hours, also depends if I am coaching or playing a match. But indoors it can last over 3 hours.

Just recently I tried many polys, Pacific, Toalson, Babolat, Tecnifibre, and I think that Turbo and Energy were about avg in durability. Strike lasted the most out of the Polystar strings, and Classic was about the same as Turbo/Energy.

thanks. will add Turbo to the list.

ManuGinobili
08-25-2010, 07:18 PM

You sir, are a beast.... or a big time mis hitter (I do hope it was the former :twisted:)

Hours of hitting over a period of 12 days after stringing the racquet.

So you let it sit for 12 days? That initial tension loss is ridiculous! There must be some other factor in your case.... The roughly 10% loss during play is not bad, in fact better than a lot of polys

eldub20
08-26-2010, 01:08 PM
So you let it sit for 12 days? That initial tension loss is ridiculous! There must be some other factor in your case.... The roughly 10% loss during play is not bad, in fact better than a lot of polys

I have only been able to hit 6.5 hours in a 12 days timeframe.

Don't quote me, but if I remember well the Stringmeter only gives an actual tension (or very close to it) on a full job of natural gut strings, so the initial reading would be closer to the reference tension (probably mid 50's) than a stiffer string like a co-poly or polyester.

FWIW, I get the same gap (20 lbs range) between the reference tension and the initial Stringmeter reading for co-poly like PL2 at tensions in the 60 lbs range. However, I strung 1 of my frames with P2 @ 34/36 and the reading right after stringing was much closer at 30.55 lbs.

Bottom line is that the Stringmeter is a tool to monitor tension loss in your stringbed but not an indicator of the actual tension.

I agree tension loss on Energy seems very decent for a co-poly, it's the 1st time I was stringing it.

Hope it helps.

ManuGinobili
08-31-2010, 11:27 PM
Yup thought the same thing about the ERT and tension loss ... I don't really notice "the world is going to end" loss, and the string is playable till it breaks anyway.

austinjbrunner
09-01-2010, 02:33 AM
Yup thought the same thing about the ERT and tension loss ... I don't really notice "the world is going to end" loss, and the string is playable till it breaks anyway.

Agreed. I've had the current set in my racket for over 3 weeks, hitting almost everyday (feeding and playing in drills with the team I help coach for high school) and I just hit yesterday with some friends, and I could still take big cuts and I was hitting corners. This is a great poly in terms of tension maintenance, at least for me. Great for keeping in for practices and what not until match time comes around.

rodrigoamaral
09-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Agreed. I've had the current set in my racket for over 3 weeks, hitting almost everyday (feeding and playing in drills with the team I help coach for high school) and I just hit yesterday with some friends, and I could still take big cuts and I was hitting corners. This is a great poly in terms of tension maintenance, at least for me. Great for keeping in for practices and what not until match time comes around.

Yes, it does hold tension pretty well.. have you switched to the poly star energy?

for those interested, I posted a small review of the poly star strike here: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=342181

Pro Staff Pete
09-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Love this string! It's comfortable on the arm which is important to me, since I've been dealing with injuries with other poly strings. It also has good power and control and the spin is ok for me. If you want more spin, you could try the Polystar Turbo string. Also, Polystar Energy holds tension quite well. Good price.

PED
09-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Nice reviews guys, thanks. I've got 3 sets of Energy and was wondering about what tension to use and how it played.
I think I'll bump it up to compensate for the power. Sounds like a winner at that price.

eldub20
09-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Nice reviews guys, thanks. I've got 3 sets of Energy and was wondering about what tension to use and how it played.
I think I'll bump it up to compensate for the power. Sounds like a winner at that price.

PED if I remember well you used to play with PL2, if it's the case you'll definitely like Energy...just bump up the tension you used on PL2 by 2-3 lbs & you'll be all set. Just got my reel today so need to string my sticks for a tourney this weekend.

Enjoy!

dewey2110
09-09-2010, 09:40 PM
How come they don't have the reel for 16L gauge?

mozzer
09-10-2010, 03:24 AM
This is a great string, especially for doubles which i mainly play!
Power and comfort are so great wit hthis string, i was also getting some crazy spin too, really helped in my match against some pushers last night >_>
The feel is awesome, perfect for volleying and touch shots!

For this 17 year old student, the price is unbeatable!

Im using 1.20 string at 61/63 in a Vantage 95

PED
09-10-2010, 04:42 AM
PED if I remember well you used to play with PL2, if it's the case you'll definitely like Energy...just bump up the tension you used on PL2 by 2-3 lbs & you'll be all set. Just got my reel today so need to string my sticks for a tourney this weekend.

Enjoy!

Good memory :) I used to love pl2. I'll follow your guidelines and bump up my tension a few pounds to compensate. Thanks for the tip

tjwalker097
09-10-2010, 05:08 AM
^^^^^^^^^^
How would you compare Typhoon to Poly Star Energy? Power, durability tension maintenance and in general? Thanks.

PED
09-10-2010, 09:07 AM
^^TJ, I've not had a chance yet to try out the Polystar but have been in love with Typhoon since it came out this year.

I'll report back after hitting with the polystar.

gflyer
09-10-2010, 09:36 AM
^^^^^^^^^^
How would you compare Typhoon to Poly Star Energy? Power, durability tension maintenance and in general? Thanks.

I can comment on this if you don't mind.
Energy is softer. Very easy on the arm. Good feel for a poly. Nice pocketing. Great power. Really nice string BUT really bad tension loss. :-(
I have a ERT device and freshly strung I get DT ~36-37.
The day after (without playing) is already down to ~31.
After playing twice is down to 28 and is time to cut the strings.
If you play with spin Energy is good even after tension loss.
But I like to flatten out when I can and so it is not playable for me.

Typhoon is firm compared to Energy. it did bother my arm after hitting 2-3 sessions so I gave it up. But the playability is very nice. great control and spin. Good power. And great tension maintenance.

They are both great strings IMHO. If my arm didn't suffer, I would have chosen typhoon (because of tension maintenance).
Maybe I will give another shot at lower tensions.
My 2c.

JT_2eighty
09-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Anyone who has used Energy that has also used UBHBlue, PHurricane18 or BAMicro?

Interested in comparisons to these other "softies", thanks.

spun_out
09-10-2010, 12:17 PM

Polystar Energy 125 is my current string of choice (at 40lbs on Vantage 100). I have also used Topspin Cyber Blue 125 extensively. At the same tension, Energy has a higher trajectory, which I think is indicative of the strings bending more or grabbing the ball more since Energy produces a spinnier ball than Cyber Blue. Energy is definitely less comfortable than Cyber Blue on off-centered hits. For me, Cyber Blue has more pop on first serves and flat forehands. As for durability, they are about the same, lasting 6hrs for me to break playing singles.

I am in the process of testing out Cyber Blue mains and Energy crosses to see if I can get the best of both worlds.

rodrigoamaral
09-12-2010, 12:32 PM

I think the energy is probably the softest of the 3 other strings you mentioned.. Energy surprisingly plays very soft and has really good feel..

JTathlete
09-21-2010, 02:47 PM
did anyone try to hybrid the poly star turbo with the energy..if so, how did it play?

rodrigoamaral
09-26-2010, 12:15 PM
did anyone try to hybrid the poly star turbo with the energy..if so, how did it play?

I'm thinking about trying this out this week or the following week.. will let you know how it plays

acer4tennis
09-26-2010, 03:03 PM

according to my knowledge one of the players at USC plays with that type of hybrid.
My guess, it's not bad, he is 600 ATP.

rodrigoamaral
10-03-2010, 06:36 PM
I'm thinking about trying this out this week or the following week.. will let you know how it plays

just tried out the hybrid with energy and turbo.. pretty good setup so far.. will post back in a few days with a small review/comparison

Power Player
10-03-2010, 06:46 PM
according to my knowledge one of the players at USC plays with that type of hybrid.
My guess, it's not bad, he is 600 ATP.

How is it set up..Know what the main strings and the tensions are?

Power Player
10-05-2010, 05:43 AM
Is it better to hyrbid the Energy with a syn gut? Maybe the syn gut in the crosses? I am just trying to figure out the best way to deal with the tension loss..possibly string up the energy a little high..at 54#s and then have my cross at 56, or would that be overkill? ( I usually string full poly around 48-50#s).

PED
10-05-2010, 12:03 PM
I've got a couple of sets of Energy if anyone is looking to trade.

Ross K
10-05-2010, 12:14 PM
I've got a couple of sets of Energy if anyone is looking to trade.

So what do you make of it then? I'm guessing it's not quite for you?

rodrigoamaral
10-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Is it better to hyrbid the Energy with a syn gut? Maybe the syn gut in the crosses? I am just trying to figure out the best way to deal with the tension loss..possibly string up the energy a little high..at 54#s and then have my cross at 56, or would that be overkill? ( I usually string full poly around 48-50#s).

I have not tried hybriding energy with a syn gut because I believe that energy is one of the softest polys out there so need to hybrid it...

to deal with tension loss, I would string it tighter by a few pounds

kiteboard
10-17-2010, 12:26 PM
String the mains lower at about 45lbs, and crosses at 55lbs.

decades
10-17-2010, 01:09 PM
i feel energy is softer and has more pop than cyber blue

mozzer
10-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Me too. While tension maintenance of Energy is worse, it maintains playability much longer IMO.

rodrigoamaral
10-24-2010, 07:46 AM

I would have to agree with you here.. it is indeed very soft. Anyone know what stiffness rating RSI gives it?

Power Player
11-01-2010, 07:13 AM
I threw some energy in my crosses (hexonic mains). It feels great. I will say that the tension loss is substantial though. I was having trouble keeping my shots in the this weekend (after 6-7 hours of play on stringbed). Yesterday I switched to my Tfight that has a multi in it, and I immediatley got my control back.

I usually can deal with tension loss, but the polystar combined with the hexonic got a little out of control for me.

rodrigoamaral
11-02-2010, 03:27 PM
I threw some energy in my crosses (hexonic mains). It feels great. I will say that the tension loss is substantial though. I was having trouble keeping my shots in the this weekend (after 6-7 hours of play on stringbed). Yesterday I switched to my Tfight that has a multi in it, and I immediatley got my control back.

I usually can deal with tension loss, but the polystar combined with the hexonic got a little out of control for me.

have you tried the poly star energy as a full stringjob?

WarrenT
11-02-2010, 04:41 PM
I just tried this string after hearing a lot of good things. Must agree with what a lot of posters seem to be saying. This is maybe the "softest" poly I've hit with. Very easy on the arm with very obvious pocketing. BUT really bad tension loss. I strung it full bed at 58 and when I first hit with the string I thought it felt at least 8-10 lbs lower than that. I think this is a good, comfort string but maybe try stringing it higher than usual to compensate for initial loss.

Power Player
11-03-2010, 06:55 AM
have you tried the poly star energy as a full stringjob?

I have not. I am not sure if I will simply because I have a powerful racquet and I need some control. To put it in perspective, I got some NXT Control from Wilson in my other racquet strung at 55#s. When I switched out sticks, I immeditaly had my control back, and this was with a multi.

There is a happy medium for me where I like softer polys that have some power to them, but I think polystar gave me too much after the tension dropped. I did not experience that with a full job of Hexonic.

Maybe I just need to string the polystar tighter, but for now I am into Hexonic and Big Hitter Blue.

rodrigoamaral
11-07-2010, 04:31 PM
I have not. I am not sure if I will simply because I have a powerful racquet and I need some control. To put it in perspective, I got some NXT Control from Wilson in my other racquet strung at 55#s. When I switched out sticks, I immeditaly had my control back, and this was with a multi.

There is a happy medium for me where I like softer polys that have some power to them, but I think polystar gave me too much after the tension dropped. I did not experience that with a full job of Hexonic.

Maybe I just need to string the polystar tighter, but for now I am into Hexonic and Big Hitter Blue.

Ok thanks.. yes, I think the polystar strings should be strung a bit tighter due to their tension drop

rodrigoamaral
11-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Update: Tried the Energy/Turbo hybrid and I really liked it. Preferred it over the full energy stringbed. Felt like the hybrid gave me a bit more spin, control and held tension better..

Power Player
12-06-2010, 09:47 AM
I am still interested in trying this string as a full job. I am liking regular poly at around 48#s, so I guess I can string the polystar at 54 and see what happens. I just like how long the polystar lasts and the insane comfort level.

CHOcobo
12-06-2010, 11:00 AM
full bed (energy 16L) 51 on my AG300 and 42 on my AG100. played awesome at first but after a while it gets way too resiliency. very powerful & uncontrollable at that point. sounds nasty and very dead, i don't like it on my AG300. but on my AG100 however alright. it's still very powerful but more playable than my AG300. spin and everything is great but way too much springy for me. good think i thought about hyrbids before i purchased the 400m reel. haven't used the energy in a hybrid......yet or any so far.

i would still prefer a full bed of maxim touch 17 over the energy. maxim touch played awesome til it snapped. lasted longer too, much longer (up to the point where the energy gets too loose).

Power Player
12-07-2010, 09:06 AM
I should add that what I do when strings lose tension is simply adjust my grip a little more western and I am fine. So I am definitley pumped to try a full bed of energy, and will probably play with it at around 52#s instead of 54. I am searching for poly with the best feel. The Hexonic wins so far, but when I put Energy in the crosses, it was just an amazing playing stick that lasted forever.

The biggest thing about energy is stringing it takes some time because of the stretchiness. Anyone have any tricks for dropweight stringers to compensate? I guess I will just get used to it.

Mazilla2219
12-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Just hit around with a hybrid bed of (m) Turbo 45#/ (x) Energy 40# in a LM Radical MP. I have to admit I was weary b/c poly's have been harsh on my arm in the past but this combo was delightful. It took me a couple of minutes to find the range on my FH but my 2HBH was landing short, maybe I was just tentative with that side and I need to adjust my stroke to be flatter. Ultimately, after 2hrs of hitting the strings are absolutely amazing. Volleys weren't bad but I feel that I could up the tension a tad as most where more powerful that I expected.

Dez
12-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Energy is a great string but loses lots of tension so if you don't string it a little tighter the power does become a little difficult to control.
lately I've been using it more in hybrids.

Dez
12-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Recently I've started using Polystar Strike, it offers excellent Control, Spin and Tension maintenance with decent feel but it's less comfortable and lower powered than Energy or Turbo. So, I put Energy in the crosses to give better comfort, feel and power and it looks like the combo works great.
My son (14) now uses Strike/Energy hybrid @ 19Kg on AG300s. I had recently changed the setup on one of his rackets to this (I string his rackets), after hitting with it for 20mins he told to string all his rackets with this setup. Two weeks later he won a tournament, hitting better than ever!
IMO this setup holds tension a lot better that other Polystar setups, offers excellent durability and plays great until it breaks. Worth a try.

Power Player
12-10-2010, 07:21 AM
Dez..awesome idea. I may have to try that. Energy in the crosses is really comfortable. Feels like a hybrid, but hits like full poly.

How does the Strike string? It is easy? Energy is so soft that it takes me a little longer on a dropweight.

SullivanR
12-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Poly star sent me a sample pack of their poly's and I wasn't exactly impressed; most of the polys felt partly dead and un-lively .

Dez
12-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Dez..awesome idea. I may have to try that. Energy in the crosses is really comfortable. Feels like a hybrid, but hits like full poly.

How does the Strike string? It is easy? Energy is so soft that it takes me a little longer on a dropweight.

Strike strings well, it's not as soft as Energy but I can't say it's more difficult than most polys especially on the mains.

rodrigoamaral
12-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Recently I've started using Polystar Strike, it offers excellent Control, Spin and Tension maintenance with decent feel but it's less comfortable and lower powered than Energy or Turbo. So, I put Energy in the crosses to give better comfort, feel and power and it looks like the combo works great.
My son (14) now uses Strike/Energy hybrid @ 19Kg on AG300s. I had recently changed the setup on one of his rackets to this (I string his rackets), after hitting with it for 20mins he told to string all his rackets with this setup. Two weeks later he won a tournament, hitting better than ever!
IMO this setup holds tension a lot better that other Polystar setups, offers excellent durability and plays great until it breaks. Worth a try.

sounds like a pretty interesting setup.. im gonna put it up on my "to try" list and let you know how it works for me..

Power Player
12-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Dez just wondered if your son was still into the string setup. I plan to try it out next week.

Dez
12-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Dez just wondered if your son was still into the string setup. I plan to try it out next week.

Hi Power Player,
Yes, right now it's his standard setup. The only thing he did was asked me to drop the tension another Kg since it's lower powered than full Energy (also colder winter temperatures), now he's very happy with the power level and the control level is the same for him.
Both my son and I like playing at low tension and this setup works great at low tension.
I hope it works for you. Please post your results once you've tried it out.

Regards

Dez

Power Player
12-20-2010, 07:10 PM
I was also thinking about trying full poly star in a Pure Drive gt. It is a stiffer racquet and soft strings feel great on it. If I was hitting with Addiction at 58#s and found it to be a hair too powerful, would I want the energy at around 55#s or would you want it as tight as a multi?

kiteboard
12-20-2010, 08:08 PM
How about sngps/poly star energy?

PED
12-21-2010, 03:32 AM
^^ PP,
I wasn't crazy about polystar energy in the pdr gt. It felt very "disconnected" in there for some reason and I felt like the setup just didn't click for me like hexonic or tour bite does in the pdr.

I did mine at 54 which would probably translate to or 59 on your manual machine.

Power Player
12-21-2010, 05:37 AM
Ped how comfortable is the tour bite? I want something soft to counter the stiffness of the racquet. I'd probably go multi if I had to.

Up&comer
01-09-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm not sure what you're talking about with the spin on polystar energy. I usually string my rackets at 30 kilos and I stung the polystar at 32 kilos and I had absolutely no control whatsoever. (I usually use technifibre black mains bab vs touch crosses)

sepidoel
05-05-2011, 10:45 AM
After a while the PSE 1.20 has finally arrived on my hand to replace the good Luxilon Adrenaline 1.25. However it will only be used as cross as the owner loves soft string but wants more control and spin. The racket was Prince Rebel (18x20) and Wilson Hollow Core 17 as the main string (55 lbs). The PSE was double-pulled with 53 lbs tension (while the old Adrenaline used 50 lbs) in order to compensate the infamous tension loss.

The first impression was pretty bad: the new string bed felt more harsh without much improvement from the old and I lost a set in frustration. Then I took another warm-up against the wall for about 15 minutes. After became more accustomed to the new string-bed, I dared to make bigger hit and wow.. the harsh feeling became lesser and my stroke felt much more rewarded - I won the set :). The third set I was playing double against a couple with hard-shot, and never thought I could return their shots with such control and pace; while on my big shots I felt the ball sunk in the string-bed and launched back with great power, spin and accuracy. On the serve section, I had the highest consistency of power, spin and accuracy ever. This string ROCKS. :) The set was a draw since the light suddenly went off...... DUH.

Compared to Adrenaline, this string marginally brought more movement. Nothing to be bothered though.

Final word, since I only used PSE as cross I don't know how the string actually performs. One thing for sure, it's a great string for cross in hybrid if you look for a package of more power and control compare to average poly. I still look forward to its ten stab... hope it isn't as bad as many have said.

JTathlete
05-08-2011, 01:07 PM
After a while the PSE 1.20 has finally arrived on my hand to replace the good Luxilon Adrenaline 1.25. However it will only be used as cross as the owner loves soft string but wants more control and spin. The racket was Prince Rebel (18x20) and Wilson Hollow Core 17 as the main string (55 lbs). The PSE was double-pulled with 53 lbs tension (while the old Adrenaline used 50 lbs) in order to compensate the infamous tension loss.

The first impression was pretty bad: the new string bed felt more harsh without much improvement from the old and I lost a set in frustration. Then I took another warm-up against the wall for about 15 minutes. After became more accustomed to the new string-bed, I dared to make bigger hit and wow.. the harsh feeling became lesser and my stroke felt much more rewarded - I won the set :). The third set I was playing double against a couple with hard-shot, and never thought I could return their shots with such control and pace; while on my big shots I felt the ball sunk in the string-bed and launched back with great power, spin and accuracy. On the serve section, I had the highest consistency of power, spin and accuracy ever. This string ROCKS. :) The set was a draw since the light suddenly went off...... DUH.

Compared to Adrenaline, this string marginally brought more movement. Nothing to be bothered though.

Final word, since I only used PSE as cross I don't know how the string actually performs. One thing for sure, it's a great string for cross in hybrid if you look for a package of more power and control compare to average poly. I still look forward to its ten stab... hope it isn't as bad as many have said.

thanks for sharing.. im a string junkie and also tried energy and found that it lost tension quicker than others but the feel and power it provided was amazing.. also worked great for volleys and serves..

sepidoel
05-09-2011, 07:36 PM
I totally agree. Now I'm still experimenting how that tension loss affecting the game, as a cross. But first I need to get rid my cold... :(

rodrigoamaral
05-16-2011, 03:23 PM

how did you feel it is holding its tension in the 17 gauge? Have you experimented with increasing tension?

sepidoel
05-17-2011, 10:10 AM
I just had practice session with a friend of mine and that was my third time playing tennis in almost 2 weeks using this setup. I say the setup getting more and more comfortable and also more powerful. Today I tend to hit long if I didn't hit the ball close to the net.

What I notice is that the it had more string movement then before. So I think ONE of the causes of hitting long was because it created less spin.

I don't know how to measure current string tension, but it seems what other said about it loses tension fast isn't wrong. Next time I'll string it with higher tension.

Shaochieh
05-19-2011, 05:31 AM
I like this string better the the BHBR. I have the same racket 18x20 strung at 22.5kg same tension and the Energy was a bit softer for me, the power was great. Spin was a little bit less but I think it is a great string for the price.

rodrigoamaral
05-19-2011, 01:57 PM
I like this string better the the BHBR. I have the same racket 18x20 strung at 22.5kg same tension and the Energy was a bit softer for me, the power was great. Spin was a little bit less but I think it is a great string for the price.

definately agree that it is a great string for the price.. have you tried altering the tension to see what effect it has on the tension?

rodrigoamaral
05-30-2011, 02:17 PM
just tried this weekend the energy hybrid with the classic and liked it quite a bit.. had better control and durability than the full energy setup...

BigT
05-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Classic is very underrated.

Shaochieh
05-30-2011, 11:34 PM
definately agree that it is a great string for the price.. have you tried altering the tension to see what effect it has on the tension?

No, not yet. I might try some differnet tensions. I am going to tennis rackets like my socks right now. Everything is flying out on me except for a NCODE PS 7.1 racket. I have lost control of every stroke right now. It is kind of furstrating.

rodrigoamaral
06-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Classic is very underrated.

agreed.. a pretty good string that gets 0 attention on here..

steve260z
06-01-2011, 06:29 PM
full bed (energy 16L) 51 on my AG300 and 42 on my AG100. played awesome at first but after a while it gets way too resiliency. very powerful & uncontrollable at that point. sounds nasty and very dead, i don't like it on my AG300. but on my AG100 however alright. it's still very powerful but more playable than my AG300. spin and everything is great but way too much springy for me. good think i thought about hyrbids before i purchased the 400m reel. haven't used the energy in a hybrid......yet or any so far.

i would still prefer a full bed of maxim touch 17 over the energy. maxim touch played awesome til it snapped. lasted longer too, much longer (up to the point where the energy gets too loose).

I strung both Energy 16 and 16L in my 300 4D. Tension at 49/47. String just didn't do it for me. It just never ripped or snapped the ball back. Maybe to elastic, maybe I strung too low maybe just not a good match for the Dunlop 300. It just felt elastic and dead. My best description.

steve260z
06-01-2011, 06:37 PM
I strung both Energy 16 and 16L in my 300 4D. Tension at 49/47. String just didn't do it for me. It just never ripped or snapped the ball back. Maybe to elastic, maybe I strung too low maybe just not a good match for the Dunlop 300. It just felt elastic and dead. My best description.

And now have Black Code 18.....No that's a different story. BIG TIME!