PDA

View Full Version : Wins vs Losses to Sustain NTRP Rating?

bad_call
08-18-2010, 08:47 AM
how many wins vs losses in ntrp matches qualifies a player to be legit in that ranking? it would seem obvious that if a player wins all their matches ( at least 10 played matches maybe? ) then they should be moved up. likewise if a player loses all their matches then move down. what if a player only plays one match and loses, should they also move down or should a comparison between score and history of winning opponent be considered?

J_R_B
08-18-2010, 11:47 AM
how many wins vs losses in ntrp matches qualifies a player to be legit in that ranking? it would seem obvious that if a player wins all their matches ( at least 10 played matches maybe? ) then they should be moved up. likewise if a player loses all their matches then move down. what if a player only plays one match and loses, should they also move down or should a comparison between score and history of winning opponent be considered?

I believe you need two matches to get an official year-end rating. You could move up or down based on those two matches based on the scores and ratings of the opponents.

bad_call
08-18-2010, 02:52 PM
I believe you need two matches to get an official year-end rating. You could move up or down based on those two matches based on the scores and ratings of the opponents.

what other conditions for this to happen? know players that play more than 2 matches in ntrp tourneys and haven't changed rating.

polski
08-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Was discussed a few days ago: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=343639

bad_call
08-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Was discussed a few days ago: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=343639

thanks....sections huh. anyway what about players who don't win a match in ntrp rating? do they stay at that level or move down? (the linked thread thus far discussed those who continually win..not lose)

Topaz
08-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Your win/loss record doesn't determine your rating (or whether you stay at one or get moved up or down)...what matters is your dynamic NTRP (a fluid number that is never actually released), that of your opponents, and the score of the match.

So, you could be a 3.5, lose all of your matches, but if they were close scores, you wouldn't be moved down, because you've shown you were competitive at that level.

To be competitive at a level doesn't equal winning all your matches at your level. Many people get confused on this point.

You may want to search this forum for 'dynamic NTRP' and see what comes up.

polski
08-19-2010, 01:34 AM
thanks....sections huh. anyway what about players who don't win a match in ntrp rating? do they stay at that level or move down? (the linked thread thus far discussed those who continually win..not lose)

Watch this: http://tennislink.usta.com/leagues/HelpTutorials/ac050000.html

That should answer all your questions

bad_call
08-19-2010, 04:21 AM
Watch this: http://tennislink.usta.com/leagues/HelpTutorials/ac050000.html

That should answer all your questions

polski - thanks again...i like cartoons. :)

polski
08-19-2010, 07:25 AM
polski - thanks again...i like cartoons. :)

If they are still in line with doing NTRP dynamics the way the video states, it means that:

1) Everyone is sort of prerated & then rated again when the "benchmark" group is factored in

2) Tournament only players don't get judged against the "benchmark" group of players at the end like league players do

Jim A
08-22-2010, 02:02 PM
interesting video, I think I'll be an interesting case if I've played enough since this has been a lost season

played 2 tournaments
1st - made the semi's, knocked out a guy who is likely getting moved up (undefeated in league play @ #1 singles) and lost 7-6, 7-6 to another who is likely getting bumped as is ranked fairly high among tournament players, so I probably should have won this one ...was just gassed after 3 matches in one day..

2nd - lost in the 1st round in a 3rd set breaker to the eventual champion...he outplayed me the 2nd half of the match...

1 league match - played doubles and beat 2 guys who went to Districts (1 will be getting bumped, the other likely will stay @ 3.5, my partner may move up..likely on the fence)

bad_call
08-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Jim A - appreciate your post on the rating end of year (or whenever it happens) update.