PDA

View Full Version : Soft but Powerful Poly? Or Comparable?

BustedString
08-18-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm using a Wilson kTour and had been using a hybrid of Hurricane Tour (mains) / VS Natural Gut (crosses) previously. This summer I switched to Babolat RPM (17) in the mains and kept the VS in the crosses. I loved it. I added a lot of power. I hit pretty flat (tiny bit of spin) but my shots stayed in and penetrated well.

Unfortunately, my elbow and shoulder are starting to kill me, especially after 4 or more sets during practice. If I take a few days off, it heals up OK but I don't think the RPM is going to work out because I like to play ~ 5 days per week.

Anything softer but comparable to the RPM in terms of power / keeping the ball in play?

If I put the RPM's in the crosses and VS in the mains would that be a more arm friendly alternative? I'm also open to using all natural gut. Just need my arm friendly power! I rarely break strings.

karophiteblu
08-18-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm using a Wilson kTour and had been using a hybrid of Hurricane Tour (mains) / VS Natural Gut (crosses) previously. This summer I switched to Babolat RPM (17) in the mains and kept the VS in the crosses. I loved it. I added a lot of power. I hit pretty flat (tiny bit of spin) but my shots stayed in and penetrated well.

Unfortunately, my elbow and shoulder are starting to kill me, especially after 4 or more sets during practice. If I take a few days off, it heals up OK but I don't think the RPM is going to work out because I like to play ~ 5 days per week.

Anything softer but comparable to the RPM in terms of power / keeping the ball in play?

If I put the RPM's in the crosses and VS in the mains would that be a more arm friendly alternative? I'm also open to using all natural gut. Just need my arm friendly power! I rarely break strings.

solinco tour bite is the obvious choice. if u look at the reviews here on the boards, durability is great, one of the best strings available, very arm-friendly, and lots of power. give it a try; it's only 11.50 a set!

XFactorer
08-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Topspin Concept Pure

Centered
08-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Soft poly strings tend to have poor tension retention.

Try Ashaway Dynamite WB 16. It is more flexible than a poly so it will be easier on your elbow, but will have a firm enough feel on slow shots. The faster you swing, the more the string will stretch.

fuzz nation
08-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Dump the poly completely and take some active measures including icing, therapy, and strengthening exercises to try and get healthy. Otherwise you may be headed for a lot of chronic ailments.

dekko1
08-18-2010, 11:57 PM
Polystar Energy or Turbo.

ManuGinobili
08-19-2010, 12:16 AM
Full gut will be the most powerful string you can have.

Then gut in the main and whatever in the cross.

For full poly, soft and powerful ones are(im missing a couple, damn mental block): Topspin Cyberblue, PolyStar Energy, Genesis Black Magic...

dadozen
08-19-2010, 04:58 AM
Agree that soft polys tend to have bad tension stability.

Also agree that you should look for something more arm friendly and exercise in order to play healthy.

Anyway, soft polys that I've tried and recommend:

PLII, Hyperion 1.18 and 1.24, WeissCannon Turbo Twist and Mosquito Bite, Big Ace Micro.

The_Question
08-19-2010, 05:55 AM
I'm going against the mass on the typical suggestions and recommend Prince Tour 17, that was my experience...

Tennis_Crazed
08-19-2010, 10:38 PM
solinco tour bite is the obvious choice. if u look at the reviews here on the boards, durability is great, one of the best strings available, very arm-friendly, and lots of power. give it a try; it's only 11.50 a set!

+1 on the solinco tour bite if you want to stick with poly. Otherwise hybrid or go straight multifilament or gut...