PDA

View Full Version : All you POG users

wankster
05-27-2005, 09:14 PM
Are all of you guys/girls old?? This is something I've been wondering for a while... I've never seen someone under age 35 using a POG.

Also....

Why does the OS version get such better reviews than the midplus? Why is the OS considered a player's racquet when it has a 107 sq in. headsize?

Thanks!

MChong
05-27-2005, 09:50 PM
Hmm.. I'm only 16, and I was really considering using the POG so I'm not sure if age is a factor; I ended up going with the Diablo Mid however because it had more mains (I burn through strings). Also last year, in my league, there was a player with POG Mid.

kv581
05-27-2005, 09:57 PM
OS version gets better reviews than the MP? My impression is that they both have their diehard supporters, and neither is really considered to be better than the other.

Also, I think the arbitrary designations of "player racquets" or "tweeners" are more reflective of a particular racquet's weight and power level, not head size. POG OS may be 107si, but it is also flexible and >12oz.

AndrewD
05-27-2005, 11:10 PM
I dont think age is the primary factor although, no doubt, a lot of older players started using the POG quite some time ago and haven't felt the need or desire to switch. Im under 35 and I used the POG OS for a time. Equinox, from these boards, is younger and uses it as well. Most likely, if you want an OS with good weight and comfortable flex you go to the POG OS. Or, if you have arm/shoulder trouble you might seek it out.

I think it gets more love than the midplus because, in that oversize category (good weight and comfortable flex) it is pretty much the best thing. Doesn't have much competition whereas the midplus has a lot more.

Other than that, it has a very open string pattern, relatively stiff flex and a unique feel which some don't like. Personally, Id say the Prestige is quite a bit better all-around while others might go for the PS85. Also, these days, people go mainly for the 95sq+ frames which leaves the POG midplus out of the equation but still caters for the POG OS.

gokou703
05-28-2005, 01:35 AM
i'm 22 years old 4.0-4.5 and have used the POG mp for a while...just recently switched back to my ti radical OS cause of shoulder problems though...oh yeah my 15 year old high school friend uses the pog mp too...when i was at the ojai tournament in socal a month ago i saw quite a few college players using pog mp's. definately not as many as i saw liquid metal radical mp, or babolats....but there were some who used the pog

Hedges
05-28-2005, 05:54 AM
Yup...I'm creaky old.

But I see other POGOS players around town who are 19 through 30s. The things they all seem to have in common? Heavy topspin, 2-hand backhand, poly in the mains and 4.5+ rating.

POG Mid is prolly better for a one-hand topspin backhand player.

POGO
05-28-2005, 06:00 AM
Take a look at this thread, http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=53107

Many pros have used the POG to springboard their tennis career. Many former POG users have switched to Yonex :)

Z-Man
05-28-2005, 06:48 AM
I'm 30, and I've been aware of the POG since my grandmother had one in about 1980, but I just started using the POG LB in the past year. Great stick! And yes, I'm a 4.5, have a two handed backhand, and hit with topspin. How'd you guess?

BTW, I have demoed tons of racquets and my favorites were the POG LB, LM Prestige MP, and PK 7g. So I guess the good old POG and it's variants are still among the best...

AJK1
05-28-2005, 04:34 PM
I have 3 POG's, 2 i use, and one that is brand new, but is actually 18 years old that i'm keeping for a collector's piece. I bought them purely because of their reputation as a great racquet for tennis elbow sufferers. But i knew nothing about their legendary status, so i was surprised at how many Pro's have used them over the years. I'm from Australia, and i couldn't buy them here, i had to get them from overseas, so i haven't seen anyone here using them, which is a shame really, they are such great racquets. But when people see my racquets and know what they are, they always comment on how good they are, and where did i get them from etc.

Xevoius
05-29-2005, 09:29 PM
I have been a POG OS user for over 10 years now with a 5.0 game. I also had a couple of mids that I would like to use every now and then but always went back to the OSs due to a sensitive elbow.

I have now found a racquet that is worthy of its replacement.

Babolat Aeropro Control.

I will say no more.

ATXtennisaddict
05-29-2005, 11:52 PM
My POG OS is coming in tomorrow from TW :)

I am aged 22. I love the POG OS,it's so arm-friendly!

fancheung
05-30-2005, 08:47 AM
I'm a POG mid user. How to add some power to this lovely racquet? my old version (4 green strips) has better heft to drive more power while the newer version is comparatively less heft.

Adding lead tape will help? How to cust?

Cheers,
Billy

goosala
05-30-2005, 09:45 AM
I am 31 and have two Mid POG's with lead tape at the 3 and 9 positions. They rock as far as topspin and control. As far as feel goes, the Pro Staff 85 or 90 with Kevlar has a better feel.

POGO
05-30-2005, 09:47 AM
I am 31 and have two Mid POG's with lead tape at the 3 and 9 positions. They rock as far as topspin and control. As far as feel goes, the Pro Staff 85 or 90 with Kevlar has a better feel.
Yea the POG mid is really a spin doctor but I think it gives too much spin and not enough pace at times. Now, that is where the RD-7 comes in, lots of spin, pace and feel all in one :)

fancheung
05-30-2005, 09:52 AM

by how many grams?? does it have any effects on balance?? :neutral:

goober
05-30-2005, 10:03 AM
Do any of you POG OS users have a one handed BH? I am thinking of demoing one.

pchoi04
05-30-2005, 10:40 AM
I'm 18 and I use the POG MP and I think I'm sticking with this racquet for awhile. I've never seen anyone else use this racquet. I sometimes like to hit one handed back hands for fun and I think the POG does well with a one hander. I like the extra leverage that I'm able to get with the one hander when I'm pushed out wide and I can roll it for an angle, but then I took over a month off and now I play like trash... and for some reason my only good shot is my 2 hander.

Jonnyf
05-30-2005, 10:45 AM
liam curran (Fena14) has a few POG LB's and he's 17