PDA

View Full Version : what to look for in a used crank machine

federalprassi
08-18-2010, 03:27 PM
what do you look for in general when buying a second hand crank stringing machine. How do you tell if the clamps are in good condition etc...

dancraig
08-18-2010, 07:43 PM
what do you look for in general when buying a second hand crank stringing machine. How do you tell if the clamps are in good condition etc...

Ask the owner if it is complete and in good working order.
All stringing machines have three main parts. The mounting, the tensioner and the clamps.
You can clamp a piece of string in a clamp and pull tension to see if the clamps hold and the tensioner works.

federalprassi
08-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Ask the owner if it is complete and in good working order.
All stringing machines have three main parts. The mounting, the tensioner and the clamps.
You can clamp a piece of string in a clamp and pull tension to see if the clamps hold and the tensioner works.

ok thanks. Is there a easy way to test if the tension is accurate?

Lakers4Life
08-19-2010, 12:39 PM
I recently looked at a Czechs Tension machine that was about 20 years old. It was in decent shape but the center pads were worn to hell and the indicator bung on the tension adjuster was loose (cheap plastic). As far as the tension being acurate, you can always hook up a calibrator/digital scale to the machine to verify the tension.

What's important are spare parts or replaceable parts that are available. I prefer a better mounting system than the tensioner. The tensioner in most cases can be replaced, but the mounting and clamping systems most of the time cannot.

federalprassi
08-20-2010, 07:49 AM
[QUOTE=Lakers4Life;4965402]I recently looked at a Czechs Tension machine that was about 20 years old. It was in decent shape but the center pads were worn to hell and the indicator bung on the tension adjuster was loose (cheap plastic). As far as the tension being acurate, you can always hook up a calibrator/digital scale to the machine to verify the tension.

What's important are spare parts or replaceable parts that are available. I prefer a better mounting system than the tensioner. The tensioner in most cases can be replaced, but the mounting and clamping systems most of the time cannot.[/QUOT

thanks, I'll be sure to look for it.

struggle
08-20-2010, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=Lakers4Life;4965402]I recently looked at a Czechs Tension machine that was about 20 years old. It was in decent shape but the center pads were worn to hell and the indicator bung on the tension adjuster was loose (cheap plastic). As far as the tension being acurate, you can always hook up a calibrator/digital scale to the machine to verify the tension.

What's important are spare parts or replaceable parts that are available. I prefer a better mounting system than the tensioner. The tensioner in most cases can be replaced, but the mounting and clamping systems most of the time cannot.[/QUOT

thanks, I'll be sure to look for it.

i concur. in the end, the main thing i would likely look for is price.
if it's a decent machine at a good price, the guys at tennis machines can make it right, if it is not already.