PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Radical 98 OS user?

guernica1
02-23-2004, 05:28 PM
Hey all..

I am looking to get back to playing again. I've used a Head Radical 1998 OS twin tube for a long time now and love the feel of the racket but they are getting old now and hard to find.

Also, as a 2h backhand I found the handle to be a little short and thus uncomfortable. I have an all court type game.

I'm in the market for a new racket but am in no rush. I have found that later generations of Radicals weren't really the same...

Today I tried out PC and PD standard and didn't particularly like either one. The Pure Drive I found unforgiving and uncomfortable on off-center shots and lacked feel and Pure Control I just never really liked.

I'm looking for suggestions... basically if I could get something similar to the 98 Radical's power and feel and with a longer handle and also maybe looking to switch back down to Mid-plus size.

Thanks!

guernica1
02-23-2004, 05:35 PM
My old racket was the Yonex Super RD Tour 95 which I liked overall but found to be a bit cumbersome at times.

How would something like the Wilson Pro Staff Tour 95 or i.radical mid plus compare? Those are the two I was planning on demo'ing next...

BIGROY
02-23-2004, 05:39 PM
get the POG os

Brent Pederson
02-23-2004, 06:20 PM
you might want to give the iprestige midplus xl a try. Very close the the radical feel, but midplus, and with a longer handle. It's a nice stick.

tennisdad
02-23-2004, 06:56 PM
How I long for those Radicals... I had the black & yellow Rad Tour OS for 5 years and miss it - in the span of 10 days last year I had one stolen and cracked the other. Anyway, after literally weeks of demoing, I settled on the Fischer Pro 1. It's a more demanding racquet.... logically going from an OS to an MP will have that effect, I guess. But in a sense it's helped me, no, forced me to work more on my mechanics... It doesn't feel like the Rads, but after 6 months I'm feeling at home with it. I'm a 4.5 all-courter

radical tourist
02-23-2004, 11:28 PM
The 98 Rad OS is still available new or used. Best racquet ever. Do a search for Jade Tennis. There was also a west coast company that had some new 98 Rads if you do a search for Head Radical. If they don't have your grip size, you can get grip pallets from an authorized Head dealer, perhaps TW. Second choice, and a cheaper one, would be to buy some Ti-Rads from TW for $70 and have them matched to your 98. With identical weight, balance and swingweight, nothing else plays closer. And at the price TW is selling them, even with professional match balancing, you're still way ahead of buying some other brand new racquet and being unhappy to boot. As for the longer grip, a pro racquet technician could make you one but no reason you can't just keep wrapping that replacement grip on up the throat of the racquet.

Big D
02-24-2004, 12:02 PM
I prestige has a fairly long handle. Give the mp std a try.

Ronaldo
02-24-2004, 04:18 PM
After owning and using every Radical, the original may suit your tastes. And they still are available. Finally, check **** as nearly any Radical can be found for a song.