PDA

View Full Version : Need String Advice:

SmoothOperator
08-19-2010, 11:59 AM
I have a couple questions but first a little background.

I'm a 3.5 player who just concluded a fairly successful season at 4.0. I play 4-5 hours a week but plan to play more often this fall. I have a 2-handed backhand and hit relatively flat off both wings. I play an all-court singles game and alot of doubles with my Head Microgel Extreme(16x19 100si). I never thought much about strings until I came across this forum. I've only tried two strings so far at mid tension (a.) Synthetic gut (Head Syn. Gut PPS 17) ) and (b.) Multi (Wilson NXT 17). I've noticed that after 7-8 hours my strings start to feel mushy. My shots feel decent (good depth and pace) until my strings go mushy then my shots (serve, fh, bh) start sailing long. I also find the string movement of the NXT to be extremely annoying.

Q1: Which strings would you recommend? Higher tension?

Q2: Does it make sense to use different strings for doubles versus singles?

Valjean
08-19-2010, 12:13 PM
I have a couple questions but first a little background.

I'm a 3.5 player who just concluded a fairly successful season at 4.0. I play 4-5 hours a week but plan to play more often this fall. I have a 2-handed backhand and hit relatively flat off both wings. I play an all-court singles game and alot of doubles with my Head Microgel Extreme(16x19 100si). I never thought much about strings until I came across this forum. I've only tried two strings so far at mid tension (a.) Synthetic gut (Head Syn. Gut PPS 17) ) and (b.) Multi (Wilson NXT 17). I've noticed that after 7-8 hours my strings start to feel mushy. My shots feel decent (good depth and pace) until my strings go mushy then my shots (serve, fh, bh) start sailing long. I also find the string movement of the NXT to be extremely annoying.

My advice, if you are as between these two string categories as you sound, is that you try Tecnifibre's Multifeel, which is like a cross of the two, as well.

And that string should work similarly for you for singles and doubles play, too.

SmoothOperator
08-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not married to the idea of using something similar to what I've used in the past. I'm just posting in the hope that someone can direct me to the most appropriate string for my style of play rather than guess and waste my time and money. My biggest issue with my current strings is that after 6-8 hours of play my balls start sail on me. The strings just don't seem to have the same level of crispness.

Jonny S&V
08-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Q1) Well, since I'm assuming you don't string for yourself, my advice would be to try Multifeel (like Valjean suggested), as it's a nice string, but semi-pricey. Another suggestion is a stiffer syn gut, such as PSGD (Prince Syn Gut w/Duraflex). Another option out their is a reverse hybrid, putting the multi/syngut/natgut in the mains and poly in the crosses (since you are a flatter hitter), this will work especially if you're looking for a little crisper string bed and more control.

Q2) I'm personally not picky when it comes to different tensions / strings between doubles and singles, but there is (usually) more volleying in doubles, so using a softer string that you can hit any type of volley with would be nice, but since you are a flatter hitter, you probably won't have to worry about it.

Parker512
08-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Mantis tennis strings?

Doubles
08-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Mantis tennis strings?

Stop reccommending strings that you have never played with...

Parker512
08-19-2010, 03:34 PM
They have had great reviews.

Doubles
08-19-2010, 03:53 PM
They have had great reviews.

Yes, but if you have never played with them, and you can't even reccommend one specifically, then don't even mention them...

Parker512
08-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Power Poly has incredible reviews.

Doubles
08-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Power Poly has incredible reviews.

So what? You haven't played with it. Reviews don't matter if you haven't played with it. You might not like it...

Tennis_Crazed
08-19-2010, 11:33 PM
So what? You haven't played with it. Reviews don't matter if you haven't played with it. You might not like it...

hahahah funny funnny exchange... sound like a parent and a child...

tball
08-20-2010, 01:11 PM
My experience with Head Syn. Gut PPS 16 (which should be close to your 17) is very much like yours. This string seems to have too much of a transition: from tight to very-very lose. This is why I did not like it.

The last multi I tried (X1 Biphase) also had the same effect: it started out very tight and crisp, then loosened up, and became very-very powerful. (Too powerful for me).

As was suggested above, I am currently trying X1 Biphase in the mains with Poly in the crosses. This does seem to have the desired effect: it evens out the dip. There is less power, and less feel, but the tension is much more consistent over time.

The other thing I would recommend is to try Prince TopSpin 15L. This is a thick synthetic gut. It is much more consistent in terms of tension than Head PPS, probably just due to its thickness. It loosens up just a little bit after a while, but not a lot. Still retains a tight response. I do not have balls sailing long on me with this string.

Doubles
08-20-2010, 02:03 PM
hahahah funny funnny exchange... sound like a parent and a child...

It certainly feels like it...

Kevo
08-20-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm just posting in the hope that someone can direct me to the most appropriate string for my style of play rather than guess and waste my time and money. My biggest issue with my current strings is that after 6-8 hours of play my balls start sail on me. The strings just don't seem to have the same level of crispness.

Two things.

1) There is no string appropriate to any style. It's a personal preference mostly based on feel and subjective experience of each individual player.

2) Every string changes feel over time. Some more or less than others, but there are about 3 million string choices at last count, so it's going to be hard for someone to tell you what to try and have it actually turn out to be the choice you'd make if you demoed 10 different strings.

Typically nylon synthetic gut strings will maintain their feel longer than multis. And thicker strings longer than thinner ones. You might want to try the 16g version of the head string. Multifeel is a good option too, but a little more expensive.

You could also try a hybrid with a poly if you want to try a different type of string entirely.

Parker512
08-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Should i buy a stringer i have"nt broke a string since April.
Just going to buhy a simple used one under $100 from someone i know.

Centered
08-20-2010, 05:43 PM
There is no string appropriate to any style.
That's generally true, although I think VS Team 17, given the right tension, should satisfy just about anyone.

A high-quality natural gut is unfortunately quite expensive and poly does have some advantages for professionals, hence its popularity. But, I think any professional could get by with VS Team 17, given the right tension.

Centered
08-20-2010, 05:50 PM
My shots feel decent (good depth and pace) until my strings go mushy then my shots (serve, fh, bh) start sailing long. I also find the string movement of the NXT to be extremely annoying.

Make sure your technique and timing is good. Don't use stiff string to compensate for improper technique or sloppy timing. It's not good for your elbow, and sometimes wrist.

NXT is a stiff enough string. What tension are you using? You probably need to string 5 lbs tighter and see what happens. It sounds like you break your strings in and then don't like the resulting tension.

NRG-2 and X-One have better tension retention than NXT, so you can consider trying them. NRG-2 16 is probably of comparable stiffness to regular NXT. NXT Tour is very stiff for a multi.

If you like a stiff feel, you may want to ditch multis like NXT for monofilament nylon "synthetic gut". One of them that will feel stiff and holds its tension extremely well is Prince Topspin 15L. When pre-stretched, it has the best tension retension of any nylon string -- losing only a bit more than 2 lbs after the TW tests. It will feel hard/stiff, too -- not mushy.

High Roller
08-20-2010, 09:10 PM
hahahah funny funnny exchange... sound like a parent and a *learning impaired* child...

Fixed. ;-)

SmoothOperator
08-28-2010, 02:28 PM
So I cut out my old strings and had one racquet strung with Head Sonic Pro 17 and the other strung with Prince Recoil 16. I hit each for about an hour today. As I stated previously, I haven't tried many strings. So here is my question. I can't tell much difference between the Sonic Pro, Recoil and the Head Syn. Gut PPS when it was freshly strung. All were strung at 57 lbs. What am I missing? Are these strings so similar that I shouldn't be able to differentiate or is there another explanation?