PDA

View Full Version : Racquet weight - A sense of perspective

netman
05-28-2005, 05:10 AM
Stumbled across a beat up old Spalding Woodstar Match Play racquet the other day and just had to buy it. This was my first racquet, bought with my own money when I was 9 yrs old. Played and won a lot of matches with it over the course of almost 8 years. Never worried about weight, balance and the like back then.

Just for fun put it on the scale. Could not believe it when it came up 378 grams (13.3 oz). These days I wouldn't touch anything over 11.5 oz., yet as a 5 ft tall, 11 yr old I had a pretty good S&V game with this beast. Practiced for several hours a day with it, never got tired. Kind of put all the debates we have here on the board over racquet weight vs. player size and skill level into perspective.

I guess its the mileage, not the weight, in the end. :)

dozu
05-28-2005, 05:34 AM
sure... the other day i was hitting with my buddy and it was raining so we were just banging balls around.... he just got a new nCode nTour, $160+, so i pulled out a Splading MatchKing woodie(14oz ?), $7 from ****.... and my balls are deeper than his sub 11oz space age racket.

Lambsscroll
05-28-2005, 05:34 AM
Old ladies had no choice but to play with wood racquets back in the day.

Grimjack
05-28-2005, 05:40 AM
The idea that a 13 oz racquet is "heavy" is purely an effort of the racquet marketing community.

ThunderServe
05-28-2005, 09:42 AM
Just asking what is the heaviest moderatly recent (7 yrs give or take) racket.

Grimjack
05-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Just asking what is the heaviest moderatly recent (7 yrs give or take) racket.

Don't know where to look to find out, but the 5g PSE's have been tipping the scales at nearly 13 oz. They've got to be right up there. Ditto the Tour 90 and its successor.