PDA

View Full Version : Question about shipping and paypal clearance

atatu
08-19-2010, 06:50 PM
So I agreed to buy a racket the other day and paid via paypal. I did not hear back from the seller so I sent an email asking if he had received the money. He replied yes, and he would ship out once he gets the money from paypal, i.e. once paypal cuts him a check. In the past when selling, I have always shipped out once I got the money in my paypal account. I have never made a buyer wait until paypal cuts me a check (anyway, I usually just keep the money in my paypal account for later purchases). Is this the norm ?

Fearsome Forehand
08-19-2010, 07:57 PM
So I agreed to buy a racket the other day and paid via paypal. I did not hear back from the seller so I sent an email asking if he had received the money. He replied yes, and he would ship out once he gets the money from paypal, i.e. once paypal cuts him a check. In the past when selling, I have always shipped out once I got the money in my paypal account. I have never made a buyer wait until paypal cuts me a check (anyway, I usually just keep the money in my paypal account for later purchases). Is this the norm ?

Everyone is different, I suppose. I never leave any money in my PP account. Ten seconds after I get paid, I'm transferring the money into my bank account. It usually takes one business day for PP to say the transfer is completed and one more biz day for the money to clear the ACH and show up in my bank account. I usually wait a day, or two, before shipping because I don't trust PP at all. If there is a problem with the transfer, I don't want to be put in a position of having already shipped and then having to beg PP, or the buyer, for a remedy. I am cautious about these things; perhaps overly so. PP has shown me on more than one occasion not to trust them. They have an F you attitude if anything goes wrong and they don't care about right and wrong only their two thousand rules. If you find yourself on the wrong side on one of PP's many rules, you are screwed, plain and simple.

I think it could take a while for PP to cut this guy his check. He probably won't get it for a week. (Better to deal with adults with bank accounts.) Did the seller mention this little oddity prior to purchase? If not, he is kind of a jerk. Hope you get your racket.

SteveI
08-20-2010, 03:54 AM
Everyone is different, I suppose. I never leave any money in my PP account. Ten seconds after I get paid, I'm transferring the money into my bank account. It usually takes one business day for PP to say the transfer is completed and one more biz day for the money to clear the ACH and show up in my bank account. I usually wait a day, or two, before shipping because I don't trust PP at all. If there is a problem with the transfer, I don't want to be put in a position of having already shipped and then having to beg PP, or the buyer, for a remedy. I am cautious about these things; perhaps overly so. PP has shown me on more than one occasion not to trust them. They have an F you attitude if anything goes wrong and they don't care about right and wrong only their two thousand rules. If you find yourself on the wrong side on one of PP's many rules, you are screwed, plain and simple.

I think it could take a while for PP to cut this guy his check. He probably won't get it for a week. (Better to deal with adults with bank accounts.) Did the seller mention this little oddity prior to purchase? If not, he is kind of a jerk. Hope you get your racket.

Hey,

Wow.. that is a 1st for me. Never heard that one. Waiting for PayPal to send him a check? It will be at least a week.. more like two to get a check from PayPal. I am sure the seller is just very new at all of this.. or PayPal has not treated him too well in the past. I also hope you get your frame.

Regards,
Steve

Kot_Bigemot
08-20-2010, 04:18 AM
Did you check his references? Did you check his PP status - is he a verified member?

Fearsome Forehand
08-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Hey,

Wow.. that is a 1st for me. Never heard that one. Waiting for PayPal to send him a check? It will be at least a week.. more like two to get a check from PayPal. I am sure the seller is just very new at all of this.. or PayPal has not treated him too well in the past. I also hope you get your frame.

Regards,
Steve

If someone does not have a linked bank account, they have the option to have PP send them their balance in check form. (I think one has that option even if one has a linked account. I've never withdrawn money that way. ) I'm assuming the seller either never linked his bank account to PP or doesn't have a bank account. Either a kid or someone very old school. Let's hope it is the latter, or the OP may have a very long wait for his racket.

Atatu, who was the seller? He didn't mention this I'll have to wait for the PP check deal when he sold you the racket, correct? Not good.

SteveI
08-23-2010, 09:59 AM
If someone does not have a linked bank account, they have the option to have PP send them their balance in check form. (I think one has that option even if one has a linked account. I've never withdrawn money that way. ) I'm assuming the seller either never linked his bank account to PP or doesn't have a bank account. Either a kid or someone very old school. Let's hope it is the latter, or the OP may have a very long wait for his racket.

Atatu, who was the seller? He didn't mention this I'll have to wait for the PP check deal when he sold you the racket, correct? Not good.

FFH,

That is correct, if someone does not have a linked bank account, they have the option to have PP send them their balance in check form. It takes quite a while to get the check. One to two weeks. In any event, once the money hits the sellers account the frame should be shipped. End of story. The fact that the seller does not have a linked bank account is the seller's option. The seller should have shipped the frame. Never heard of ths one before.. and the buyer could have never thought to ask about this one..Yikes.

Is the seller going to deposit the check and wait until it clears before he/her ships? Whats next?