PDA

View Full Version : Video - weave your crosses faster

Irvin
08-20-2010, 05:19 AM
If weaving your crosses slows you down try this method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kUKKMEIseI

Here is another video I made a little later

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tuc5ISysro

Irvin

drakulie
08-20-2010, 05:40 AM
Irvin, that is an awesome TIP/TRICK. Most excellent. :)

Thanks for sharing.

armsty
08-20-2010, 05:51 AM
I laughed very hard when I saw this.

I wonder why this hasn't been more commonly done. The only reason I can see this being ignored is because of the time taken to get the string and set it up, but if you do that once it's ready to go every time i'd assume?

drakulie
08-20-2010, 05:53 AM
This is better than the Stringway Tool that costs over a hundred. You should patent it, Irvin.

armsty
08-20-2010, 05:59 AM
A good shoelace should do the trick. I have two rackets to string for customers tomorrow, might give it a go!

Irvin
08-20-2010, 06:00 AM
This is better than the Stringway Tool that costs over a hundred. You should patent it, Irvin.

Wow now that is a cool idea. Do you think anyone would buy it or just make their own?

Irvin

armsty
08-20-2010, 06:04 AM
It's too simple to buy, all one needs is a shoelace and that's it. Irvin you're a deadset legend though.

drakulie
08-20-2010, 06:06 AM
Now that the "cat is out of the bag", I think people will make their own, but very nice of you to share.

Seriously, that is a great tip,,,,,,, especially for beginner stringers. Only down side would be that they will probably never get better at weaving. :)

And I agree with armsty, you are a legend with great KUNG FU POWERS. :)

Irvin
08-20-2010, 06:06 AM
A good shoelace should do the trick. I have two rackets to string for customers tomorrow, might give it a go!

That was my first idea too. But then I remembered I had some cotton string so I tried that. I believe you are going to need something small in diameter so it will not catch on the mains when you pull on it. For the return especially. I used about four feet for each loop and it seemed to work fine.

I may go to Home Depot and pick up some more string to try the next time. I am thinking maybe something about the same gauge as tennis string for the pulling string and something as small as I can get for the return string.

I would appreciate it if anyone comes up with something that works for them to post it here for everyone.

Irvin

Irvin
08-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Now that the "cat is out of the bag", I think people will make their own, but very nice of you to share.

Seriously, that is a great tip,,,,,,, especially for beginner stringers. Only down side would be that they will probably never get better at weaving. :)

And I agree with armsty, you are a legend with great KUNG FU POWERS. :)

I am gong to have to disagree with both of you there. You still have to weave half the strings yourself. If or when you get good enough get rid of the string. Until then use the string.

Irvin

austinjbrunner
08-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Very nice trick Irvin. I may give this a shot. Being a beginner, this would help....

audioaffliction
08-20-2010, 09:29 AM
I would think that butcher's twine--the kind used to tie and truss meat and poultry--would be the perfect string to use. You should be able to pick a ball of this up at any grocery store.

And can't you weave both directions if you simply use two strings, one for each side of the frame? I'm going to try this tonight.

leafscat
08-20-2010, 09:46 AM
You still have to weave half the strings yourself.

Irvin

Irvin, cool trick. I think I may give it a try as well. Quick question though, why do you have to weave half the strings?

Thanks

Irvin
08-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Irvin, cool trick. I think I may give it a try as well. Quick question though, why do you have to weave half the strings?

Thanks

Because the string goes over and under the same mains. Only every other string goes over and under the same mains.

Irvin

Ash_Smith
08-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Very Nice - as Drak said - knocks that stringway weave tool into a cocked hat!

Ash

High Roller
08-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Ingenious. :-)

Irvin
08-20-2010, 10:30 AM
I want to make sure everyone understands me this string only works one way were the Stringway tools works both ways. Of course the string is about $100 cheaper. I do not plan to use this stringing method much because I think I can weave pretty quick so it does not save me a lot of time. I am stringing another racket with some nylon mason string and there are some problems so I may make another video to explain the method a little better.

Irvin

struggle
08-20-2010, 10:47 AM
hahahaha

what fools we all have been for so long!@!@

brilliant, elegant, simple.

nice stuff Irvin!!

thanks again!

charliefedererer
08-20-2010, 10:51 AM
As soon as you see it, you think, "Why haven't I and a thousand others thought of that?"

But how readily apparent that it works and the simplicity are the ingenious parts of it.

Thanks for posting.

audioaffliction
08-20-2010, 11:31 AM
I want to make sure everyone understands me this string only works one way were the Stringway tools works both ways. Of course the string is about $100 cheaper. I do not plan to use this stringing method much because I think I can weave pretty quick so it does not save me a lot of time. I am stringing another racket with some nylon mason string and there are some problems so I may make another video to explain the method a little better.

Irvin

Irvin, what about using a second string on the other side of the racquet? Wouldn't that get you both directions or am I missing something?

drakulie
08-20-2010, 12:27 PM
The second pull string would get in the way and block you from pulling the string thru.

Irvin
08-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Irvin, what about using a second string on the other side of the racquet? Wouldn't that get you both directions or am I missing something?

You can try but it will not work. It will be easier for you to see it by doing it than me to explain it.

Irvin

jmverdugo
08-20-2010, 02:19 PM
WOW!, and I actually think it could work with any string. If it is causing some damage just do it diagonal and slowly, it would definitely be faster than weaving. Seriously WOW. The problem with having another "puller" on the other direction is that (it seems) that you will cross the string and initial "puller", or maybe not.

EDIT: I think the best way to do it is to use the "puller" like this: Tension the first cross, use the "puller" on the second cross (that should be hard) and then weave manually the next string that has the same up-down pattern than the tensioned one. It is basically the pre weaving system reverse.

onehandbh
08-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Woah! This is cool. I'll have to give it a try!
Irvin should get instant GOAT status.

Irvin
08-20-2010, 04:21 PM
I have been playing around with this a little more and getting much better at it. Here is another video I loaded on YouTube about it.

I hate that this video is such poor quality. I start out the HD and end up on YouTube with junk. Any suggestions?

Irvin

David123
08-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Wow Genious! would this work with a 2pt mount machine?

scotus
08-21-2010, 12:23 AM
Brilliant! Simply brilliant!

Now I am going to have to throw away my Stringway Cross-stringer.

Anybody want it?

scotus
08-21-2010, 12:23 AM
Relax, I was just kidding about the Stringway tool.

SirGounder
08-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Dude that is crazy. I will have to try that tomorrow. Like you said I think it will really come in handy toward the bottom of the racquet. Thanks for sharing that!

taylorhorton4
08-22-2010, 04:06 AM
this is an awesome idea. Nice job Irvin

Parker512
08-22-2010, 05:25 AM
Irvin poster of the year award!Wow

Irvin
08-22-2010, 10:50 AM
I have found a way to get HD video on youtube and have updated the two videos on youtube. If you are interested here are the links. There are the same videos as before just higher quality.

I have updated the initial post of the urls for the better videos and deleted the reference to the old videos.

Irvin

fgzhu88
08-22-2010, 02:16 PM

Irvin

why not?? unless you can weave both soft and hard weaves in under 1 second..

seriously, this method should become a standard weaving practice. I see no disadvantages whatsoever.

Irvin
08-22-2010, 04:21 PM
^^ I have tried to explain this a couple of time and it is a little hard to explain. Try it and you will see immediately.

Irvin

simplify
08-23-2010, 07:54 AM
I'm stunned... probably one of the best tips ever I've gotten off this board. Thanks!!!

Kostas
08-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Isn't there a way to setup the string so it has TWO loops (one at each end) and you can pull it both ways?

The string may have to be a bit longer and you'd anchor it on both sides of the stringer/frame but it seems in theory that it could work in both directions provided the "loop" was available?

beernutz
08-23-2010, 11:40 AM
I have found a way to get HD video on youtube and have updated the two videos on youtube. If you are interested here are the links. There are the same videos as before just higher quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kUKKMEIseI

Irvin

Thanks for sharing Irwin; that is a brilliant, yet simple, idea.

Irvin
08-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Isn't there a way to setup the string so it has TWO loops (one at each end) and you can pull it both ways?

The string may have to be a bit longer and you'd anchor it on both sides of the stringer/frame but it seems in theory that it could work in both directions provided the "loop" was available?

Seems like everyone wants to do that but it is impossible to do with one string.

Irvin

jmnk
08-23-2010, 07:24 PM

not really as the cross strings in the other directions need to go exactly the opposite way vs. the just pulled one. I mean if the cross ended 'over' the main on your last pull it will have to go 'under' on the next cross. So I can't see how it would be possible to do this trick for all crosses.

It is still nothing short of brilliant.

4sound
08-23-2010, 08:51 PM
This is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. I'm a bit surprised no one has thought of this before now. The simplest things are the best!!

Kostas
08-24-2010, 06:44 AM
not really as the cross strings in the other directions need to go exactly the opposite way vs. the just pulled one. I mean if the cross ended 'over' the main on your last pull it will have to go 'under' on the next cross. So I can't see how it would be possible to do this trick for all crosses.

It is still nothing short of brilliant.

Duh...this makes perfect sense. Sorry for the stupid question.

iplaybetter
08-24-2010, 07:35 AM
very cleaver

frosty8722
08-24-2010, 05:08 PM
This is utter genius.
I'm a 16 year old new stringer and I definitely find this useful. DEFINITELY going to give this a try on my next string job, and might stick with it from now on.

autumn_leaf
08-24-2010, 06:39 PM
wow...that's freaking ingenious. i would have never thought of that. and i don't see why anyone would think of that lol.

this might not help with stringing time for people that are good with weaving, but it will definitely help my fingers when i have to do multiple rackets in a night.

THANK YOU!!! <3

Irvin
08-25-2010, 02:32 AM
wow...that's freaking ingenious. i would have never thought of that. and i don't see why anyone would think of that lol.

this might not help with stringing time for people that are good with weaving, but it will definitely help my fingers when i have to do multiple rackets in a night.

THANK YOU!!! <3

I really do not think this will improve your time if you are a good weaver. Most of the time on the crosses is spent finding the end of your string and pulling the cross through the mains after you weave it.

If you are looking to save some time always weave one ahead. When I do this I like to pull the second string through the mains to reduce friction on the strings. At that point if you drop the string on the floor you have to find the end to start the next cross. That takes time. If you hold the string in your hand it will always get caught on something and get pulled out of your hand so you still have to find that end.but if you only pull the second cross through about 1 foot the end it right there.

You could also take the end and start the third cross and let the racket hold the end too.

Irvin

autumn_leaf
08-25-2010, 06:17 AM
I really do not think this will improve your time if you are a good weaver. Most of the time on the crosses is spent finding the end of your string and pulling the cross through the mains after you weave it.

If you are looking to save some time always weave one ahead. When I do this I like to pull the second string through the mains to reduce friction on the strings. At that point if you drop the string on the floor you have to find the end to start the next cross. That takes time. If you hold the string in your hand it will always get caught on something and get pulled out of your hand so you still have to find that end.but if you only pull the second cross through about 1 foot the end it right there.

You could also take the end and start the third cross and let the racket hold the end too.

Irvin

i don't know why you quoted me on this. i agreed with it in my post that it wouldn't save time. it would help my fingers from getting raw since it cuts in half the pushing of a pointy string across a stringbed.

Irvin
08-25-2010, 06:41 AM
^^ Sorry I was not trying to start a discussion but just give the post some continuity.

Irvin

NoobWannabe
08-25-2010, 01:41 PM
someone please sticky this !

BlueTennis
08-27-2010, 09:42 AM
no longer will i fear weaving those last crosses with a poly string. well done, sir.

fruitytennis1
08-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Good idea...though ill still weave like usual

mad dog1
08-27-2010, 11:25 AM
AWESOME tip, Irvin! thanks for sharing!

Beacon Hill
08-27-2010, 11:24 PM
Fantastic.

Ash_Smith
09-01-2010, 05:09 AM
Hey Irv, i'm sure you'll be delighted to know you have now gone international! Your vid was posted on the UKRSA stringing forums the other day by a member who picked it up from GSS!

Ash

P.S. Can I have your autograph now you're famous :)

beernutz
09-01-2010, 07:25 AM
Last night I wanted to try the cross weaving trick for the first time but couldn't find any string to use. After almost giving up I remembered my wife has many (MANY!) spools of ribbon for wrapping. I cut a couple of lengths of quarter inch wide ribbon to make the two circles and it worked great. The ribbon was so slick that it easily glided between the main strings.

Thanks again for a great tip Irwin!

I also had the worst brain fart while stringing since the first few times I tried it nearly six years ago. I had the racquet mounted and was starting on the mains and probably had 5 or 6 of them tightened when the racquet violently and suddenly moved to the right like it was shot from a bow. In my scurrying around to find the ribbon to use for the cross weaving trick I'd forgotten to lock the throat riser slide bar into position after mounting the frame. Doh!

Irvin
09-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Hey Irv, i'm sure you'll be delighted to know you have now gone international! Your vid was posted on the UKRSA stringing forums the other day by a member who picked it up from GSS!

Ash

P.S. Can I have your autograph now you're famous :)

I am really amazed. I can't believe something so simple as this has caught on like it has. I do this method some but I really feel I can weave as fast most of the time. At least people have to do their own weaving 50% of the time and that is a good thing. Now that can concentrate on the side that is easiest for them and use this method on the hard way.

Thanks for the information Ash.

Irvin

patbf
09-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Last night I wanted to try the cross weaving trick for the first time but couldn't find any string to use. After almost giving up I remembered my wife has many (MANY!) spools of ribbon for wrapping. I cut a couple of lengths of quarter inch wide ribbon to make the two circles and it worked great. The ribbon was so slick that it easily glided between the main strings.

Thanks again for a great tip Irwin!

I also had the worst brain fart while stringing since the first few times I tried it nearly six years ago. I had the racquet mounted and was starting on the mains and probably had 5 or 6 of them tightened when the racquet violently and suddenly moved to the right like it was shot from a bow. In my scurrying around to find the ribbon to use for the cross weaving trick I'd forgotten to lock the throat riser slide bar into position after mounting the frame. Doh!

'beernutz' you may be on to something there. I can see where a flat ribbon may be easier to pull through the mains than a string could be. Also the flat ribbon may spread the mains open so the stirng will pull though easier.

Irvin

beernutz
09-02-2010, 09:35 AM
'beernutz' you may be on to something there. I can see where a flat ribbon may be easier to pull through the mains than a string could be. Also the flat ribbon may spread the mains open so the stirng will pull though easier.

Irvin
Could be. I thought when I started that the ribbons would be frayed after pulling them through the mains but after I finished they looked about the same as when I started so I'll use the same ones again for next time.

Irvin
09-02-2010, 10:07 AM
^^ Great I hope it works for you. I just realized I must have been on my wife's PC when I made that comment. Oh well she has a post now at least. LMAO

Irvin

beernutz
09-03-2010, 12:15 PM
^^ Great I hope it works for you. I just realized I must have been on my wife's PC when I made that comment. Oh well she has a post now at least. LMAO

Irvin

I have to admit that I scratched my head a bit when I saw the Irwin signature on that post.

Its funny, my wife plays tennis, both league and recreational, but she has ZERO interest in participating in any tennis forum (or really any forum). She works on a computer, telecommutes in fact, all day and has very little interest in them once the workday is over.

kimbahpnam
09-03-2010, 12:22 PM
great tip....especially for those dense patterns

tennisnoob3
09-05-2010, 08:23 AM
wow this is a life saver

Whitey
11-15-2010, 02:16 PM
If you were to use three loops of string hooked together, two long loops tied to both posts(say 2 or 3 feet long) and a short one in the middle connecting them making a small hole to put the string into say 2 inches around(4 inch piece of sting or so) you would then be able to do this on both sides becacuse you would have a loop to put the string in on both sides. Also you would not have to pull the loop back across the other side because it would alraedy be there saving even moe time. Or you could posible just use two string loops tie both loops to a post and use one string to pull it left and right either way you should be able to do this on both sides useing one chain of string loops.

Irvin
11-15-2010, 02:25 PM
^^ 'Whitey' I assume that you have not tried this yet. Try it if it works let me know but I don't think it will.

Irvin

SFrazeur
11-15-2010, 02:36 PM
Why not tie a small circle of string together and then attach two long strands and weave through the mains.

Looking like this: ----O----
Slip the cross through circle and pull the crosses back and forth both ways.

-SF

Whitey
11-15-2010, 02:51 PM
^^ 'Whitey' I assume that you have not tried this yet. Try it if it works let me know but I don't think it will.

Irvin

I will and i will let you know, but im not sure I understand why you dont think it will work, you never pull the string all the way out when you do it your way and when you pull the loop back across to do it again each time the loop is comming with so you might as well have a string in it, right? I haven't tried it yet but logically it plays out perfectly so im fairly confident it will work.

Whitey
11-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Why not tie a small circle of string together and then attach two long strands and weave through the mains.

Looking like this: ----O----
Slip the cross through circle and pull the crosses back and forth both ways.

-SF

that is essiently exactlty what i just described but your picture works to explain it a million times better then i could

Whitey
11-15-2010, 03:13 PM
I just tested my idea, and yes it works perfectly. Extremely fast thanks for this genius intitial idea. I'm not sure how you came up with the original way but i feel like it will help alot. The principal of useing the string is truely genius irv

bmwfool
11-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Can you please explain further how you got it to work both directions? From what you described, it doesn't sound like the crosses would be alternating over the mains.

Kaz00
11-15-2010, 03:22 PM
That was freaking awesome!! I am going to try this now should make my stringing times way faster!

Whitey
11-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Can you please explain further how you got it to work both directions? From what you described, it doesn't sound like the crosses would be alternating over the mains.

I guess in my quick test I did not realize that. You are correct they would not alternate, and therefore it would not work but i do have an idea to make it work but it might sacrafice a little speed, but for me a slow weaver it would still be good

parasailing
11-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks Irvin for the ingenious idea. This is going to save me a huge amount of time and might actually make stringing more fun, maybe :).

SFrazeur
11-15-2010, 05:34 PM

Ahh, yes. You would be correct.

-SF

Irvin
11-16-2010, 12:21 AM
I guess in my quick test I did not realize that. You are correct they would not alternate, and therefore it would not work but i do have an idea to make it work but it might sacrafice a little speed, but for me a slow weaver it would still be good

Just like many I too wanted it to work in both directions at first but when you try it you quickly see why it will not work. I think the practice of weaving it in one direction is good for your weaving technique also. While the string makes you twice as fast.

Good luck

Irvin

shubydoobydo
11-16-2010, 10:36 AM
What if you just set the system up twice with two different colors. Blue goes one way yellow goes the other.

Would that work... FYI I did not listen to the video just watched it.

diredesire
11-16-2010, 10:47 AM
What if you just set the system up twice with two different colors. Blue goes one way yellow goes the other.

Would that work... FYI I did not listen to the video just watched it.

Either way, it won't work, you'll have two sets of string. One will be further "up" the string bed, the other one will be further down. When you try to use the one further down, you just wove below the top set. You "trapped" your helper.

I might actually try this at national indoors if i get a lot of full poly. I'm not exactly slow, though, but I do see this as a POSSIBLE speed up.

Irvin
11-16-2010, 10:56 AM
^^ It is difficult to explain. Once you try it you will see but until you do you probably will not understand. Crosses have to be woven opposite each other from one to the next. When you put two strings in opposite each other they will not pass each other. Seems like it will work but it will not.

This system works great when you are learning to weave crosses but there is no alternative to weaving by hand once you get it down. Practice, practice, practice that is all I can say for right now.

Irvin

Irvin
11-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Either way, it won't work, you'll have two sets of string. One will be further "up" the string bed, the other one will be further down. When you try to use the one further down, you just wove below the top set. You "trapped" your helper.

I might actually try this at national indoors if i get a lot of full poly. I'm not exactly slow, though, but I do see this as a POSSIBLE speed up.

Could not have said it better myself 'diredesire.' I'm am actually faster with most strings myself and do not use this method, but for someone new it is life saver. But when I got a Pure Sotrm Limited (18x20) the other day with xcel mains and PHT crosses I found myself looking for that loop of string. LOL

I might mention that when I string a dark string like RPM Blast I have a hard time spotting miss-weaves. Using a white nylon string makes it much easier to spot problems than black through black. The eyes are not as good as they used to be. LOL

Irvin

shubydoobydo
11-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Maybe if we all wish hard enough it will come true ;)

diredesire
11-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Laserfibre does make a tool that speeds cross stringing, but much like this method, there is some setup involved, and the benefit isn't necessarily one that outweighs the cost. I'm interested in experimenting, though, weaving full poly on dense frames slows me down juuust enough where something like this might be worth it.

AllLeague
11-16-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks Irvin! I will definitely try this next time I string up my rackets, comparing the times with and without this method.

Technatic
12-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Hi Irvine,

I saw your idea because it was mentioned on the Austrian forum.
Great idea, congratulations.

Pinocchio
12-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Irvin for President!

DevilsChildXD
12-15-2010, 08:30 PM
I've gotta try this out!! Its gonna make stringing my poly's soo much faster now thanks irving!! Your the best!! lol

TennisWooh
12-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Irvin you are a genius. Thank you for sharing this.

Expired
03-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Why wouldn't you be able to go the other way as well?

Irvin
03-03-2011, 09:54 AM
The crosses or laced opposite each other so the strings would have to go the same way and you can get them past each other or you would have the string between two racket strings. It just won't work. That is everyone first idea.

Here is another idea that may work though if you want faster. Weaving one string ahead make it easier to get the string you are weaving through the mains because you are going under the high strings and over the low ones if that makes sense to you. So let say you have the first three crosses in and the second cross is tensioned but the third string is now is the time to weave the fourth cross with your fingers but instead of doing that put an ice cream stick in the bottom of the mains and make sure it is the same as the second cross. Now the second cross is holding up the same strings as the ice cream stick making it ever easier to weave your crosses. Now weave your fourth cross. Tension the third cross and weave the pulling string in the same as the third string. Pull in the fifth cross and tension the fourth. Weave the sixth cross and tension the fifth.

If that is too confusing let me know and I will make a video.

Irvin

diredesire
03-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Why wouldn't you be able to go the other way as well?

It's really hard to explain in text, just try it yourself if you don't get it, one cross in, you'll understand ;)

diredesire
03-04-2011, 10:13 AM
The crosses or laced opposite each other so the strings would have to go the same way and you can get them past each other or you would have the string between two racket strings. It just won't work. That is everyone first idea.

Here is another idea that may work though if you want faster. Weaving one string ahead make it easier to get the string you are weaving through the mains because you are going under the high strings and over the low ones if that makes sense to you. So let say you have the first three crosses in and the second cross is tensioned but the third string is now is the time to weave the fourth cross with your fingers but instead of doing that put an ice cream stick in the bottom of the mains and make sure it is the same as the second cross. Now the second cross is holding up the same strings as the ice cream stick making it ever easier to weave your crosses. Now weave your fourth cross. Tension the third cross and weave the pulling string in the same as the third string. Pull in the fifth cross and tension the fourth. Weave the sixth cross and tension the fifth.

If that is too confusing let me know and I will make a video.

Irvin

Not a bad idea, when you weave, it's all easy weaves, and you can pull the rest through, right?

Irvin
03-04-2011, 11:52 AM
That is correct.

Irvin

Irvin
03-05-2011, 02:11 AM
Not a bad idea, when you weave, it's all easy weaves, and you can pull the rest through, right?

I left out an important part. I was thinking of weaving a scrap piece of string in the bottom hold the same strings up as let's say the third cross so the mains are held up by two string. Then use the string to pull the even cross while you weave the odd ones.

Irvin

Kal-El 34
03-07-2011, 08:41 AM
irvin, this is a fantastic tool for stringing and a great idea. very nice of you to post this up for the board and all of the web to see. very cool!

lostintravise
10-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Helps a lot with poly. Thanks for the tip! :)