PDA

View Full Version : Worth complaining about?

vcat
08-20-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm playing in a non-USTA tournament in the 4.0 mens doubles draw (my partner and I both have 4.0C USTA ratings). Our opponents tonight are what I think is a father/son team (same last name), who also happen to be sponsors for the tournament. The father has a current 4.0C USTA rating but the son has an older 5.5 rating from 2000. I was going to play and see...but barring some sort of significant injury, could a previous 5.5 really be at a 4.0 level by just not playing in the last 9 years? I smell something fishy...but who knows. Any suggestions?

polski
08-20-2010, 11:59 AM
I always like to say something up front like, "I looked you guys up to check out your USTA history. I didn't see a 4.0 with your first name, do you ever play leagues?"

If it is indeed the 5.5 guy, he'll know that you know who he is.

I would say there is near a zero chance that a 5.5 9 years ago is now a legitimate 4.0. Even if he's had 10 surgeries, he's still in the upper 4.5 range.

Panic492
08-20-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm playing in a non-USTA tournament in the 4.0 mens doubles draw (my partner and I both have 4.0C USTA ratings). Our opponents tonight are what I think is a father/son team (same last name), who also happen to be sponsors for the tournament. The father has a current 4.0C USTA rating but the son has an older 5.5 rating from 2000. I was going to play and see...but barring some sort of significant injury, could a previous 5.5 really be at a 4.0 level by just not playing in the last 9 years? I smell something fishy...but who knows. Any suggestions?

If he played 5.5 that tells me he likely played high level college tennis. Which means he would need to play at least 4.5 I think.

vcat
08-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Ok. So my partner and I won 6-3, 6-1. The guy seemed like a rusty 4.5 player. He had all the strokes but the consistency wasn't quite there. I guess the tournament organizers put him in the right spot after all. I did hear a rumor that if you played in college you automatically got a 5.5 rating afterwards...anyone hear of that before?

J_R_B
08-22-2010, 06:01 AM
Ok. So my partner and I won 6-3, 6-1. The guy seemed like a rusty 4.5 player. He had all the strokes but the consistency wasn't quite there. I guess the tournament organizers put him in the right spot after all. I did hear a rumor that if you played in college you automatically got a 5.5 rating afterwards...anyone hear of that before?

It depends on what level of college. Any college is a minimum of 4.5. If it's a ranked D3 or higher division, then it's 5.0 minimum. If it's a ranked D1 school, then it's minimum 5.5.

Steady Eddy
08-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Ok. So my partner and I won 6-3, 6-1. The guy seemed like a rusty 4.5 player. He had all the strokes but the consistency wasn't quite there. I guess the tournament organizers put him in the right spot after all.Does this mean that you and your partner were the true sandbaggers?

Jim A
08-22-2010, 12:36 PM
if its a non USTA tournament its all on the honor system anyway

JLyon
08-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Does this mean that you and your partner were the true sandbaggers?

haha good point.

vcat
08-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Does this mean that you and your partner were the true sandbaggers?

Ha! No, we got beat pretty easily in the semi-finals. Our other matches (we played 4) were quite close besides this one.

Failed
08-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Ha! No, we got beat pretty easily in the semi-finals. Our other matches (we played 4) were quite close besides this one.

If you guys had lost, would you have complained about him sandbagging :D?

vcat
08-22-2010, 11:15 PM
If you guys had lost, would you have complained about him sandbagging :D?

If we got smoked, probably would have, especially if it seemed that the guy was playing with us like a cat with a mouse.