PDA

View Full Version : KPS 88 String suggestions...

ArchEtech
08-20-2010, 07:38 PM
I've tried gamma pro spin 58 and 62- can't keep it in the court and can't hit out.

Prince top spin - same tension range, same results.

willson poly - same tension range about the same.

I've used harder strings in the past such as pro blend and another hybrid string but I haven't tried this in this racquet because I don't want to hurt the touch and feel. Maybe the kps is beyond my skill level I don't know.

Suggestions?

kickenchiken92
08-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Maybe the kps is beyond my skill level I don't know.
Suggestions?

I don't want to judge. But that may be the problem. Maybe splurge on some natty gut.

Keifers
08-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Check out this thread. Lots of good info...

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=241889

Centered
08-20-2010, 08:37 PM
I've tried gamma pro spin 58 and 62- can't keep it in the court and can't hit out.

Prince top spin - same tension range, same results.

willson poly - same tension range about the same.

I've used harder strings in the past such as pro blend and another hybrid string but I haven't tried this in this racquet because I don't want to hurt the touch and feel. Maybe the kps is beyond my skill level I don't know.

Suggestions?
Pro Blend is ridiculously stiff.

Why not try Ashaway Composite XT Pro at 55 lbs? It's more than twice as stiff as Prince Top Spin, stiffer than any poly, but half the stiffness of the Pro Blend mains. Since it's Vectran, it holds its tension better than Kevlar and poly generally, as well.

It's a multi, actually, but one with a stiffness of 470 (RSI). Pro Blend is 980 or something and Topspin is like 221 or so. The stiffest poly according to RSI was 320 and the average is somewhere around 230.

High Roller
08-20-2010, 09:04 PM
No offense, but a change in swing path might prove more meaningful than a change in strings based on the scenario you've described.

parasailing
08-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Technique and form first but since you asked, Biphase Xone, Xcel Power, or natty gut to reduce the stiffness of the racquet.

Centered
08-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Biphase Xone, Xcel Power, or natty gut to reduce the stiffness of the racquet.
That's the opposite of what the person's information suggests:

"can't keep it in the court and can't hit out."

That suggests higher tension and/or stiffer string, without taking technique into account.

However, technique does seem to be a factor. If someone can't "hit out" with poly strung at 62 lbs in such a small-headed control racquet, that's quite strange.

highgeer
08-21-2010, 11:33 AM
You might try Polyfibre Viper at about 60- 62lbs, and xcel power(M) and a poly(C) strung tight (above 63lbs, I like 68M/64C).

Mike

beststringer
08-21-2010, 12:36 PM
i just did a natural gut / topspin cyber blue at 50/30 on a scrapped up kps 88 that I can't and don't want to sell . feels good. will try it out.

beststringer
08-21-2010, 05:29 PM
i just did a natural gut / topspin cyber blue at 50/30 on a scrapped up kps 88 that I can't and don't want to sell . feels good. will try it out.

Just hit with the setup for about 2 hours. It's pretty nice. Powerful and good spin/control. much nicer than fullpoly at 30lbs or syn gut at 55.

JoelDali
08-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Luxilon Flouro at 61.

Or if $ is no object.

VS Team Mains + Flouro crosses.

Technifibre BiPhase 17 full bed at 62 is awesome for about 2 hours then goes dead. But those first few hours are heaven in the 88.

:)

parasailing
08-21-2010, 09:37 PM
However, technique does seem to be a factor. If someone can't "hit out" with poly strung at 62 lbs in such a small-headed control racquet, that's quite strange.

Agreed, given that this is a player's racquet and he is using poly strung at 62lbs and still has issue keeping it in the court, he definitely needs to look at technique and form first.

This racquet is already stiff plus putting on poly at 62lbs, I can only imagine the arm and shoulder problem this person is going to have down the road.

film1
08-21-2010, 09:39 PM
tnt2 at 63/61