PDA

View Full Version : Youtek Prestige Pro Serve Spin Setup

johndagolfer
08-21-2010, 10:19 AM
HI all,

I have a modded Youtek Prestige Pro that since I have dropped my tension 52 52 hybrid of spin x and gosen, cannot spin my second serves in unless I really slow down. I have tried raising the tension to a 54 58 and have better success.

The problem is that I am unsure my arm/shoulder/forearm will survive the bump up in tesion. I have recently got back into the game over a many year layoff. My arm has gotten stronger and I don't feel more than tiredness after a long session. I, however, don't want to push my luck.

I am an all court player with an extreme eastern forehand that I absolutely spin fuzz off the ball. My 1 hbh also is more of a loopy than flat shot, though less so than my forehand.

My serve used to be my forte, until the above mentioned tension drop. My first serves were a combination of outwide slices or flatter topspin bombs down the middle. I definitely could notice that my first serve wasn't flat(had an arc and speed), and the speed and spin used to give my 3.5 competitors fits.

Lately however I've noticed that I no longer have that topspin drop on my first serve. It's defintely more of a flat ball that doesn't kick up at all. My second serve also seems to have lost a lot of bite.

My current string options that I have in stock are prince SGD 16, gosen micro 17, genesis spin X 17. Are there any other options that you think I should try out or should i just try to build the tension up in my current setup.

Thanks!

PED
08-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Why not drop the tension a bit and try full poly. The poly crosses will def give you some more spin overall. The MG and YT prestige pros are both very soft and arm friendly. I think you'd be better off dropping down and going full poly instead of going up with the hybrid. I played with these frames for about 18 months with full poly at 59/57 with no arm problems at all.

Both full SpinX 17 or Typhoon are solid choices for this stick. The PP has so much control and Typhoon is quite high powered so it's a nice match.

T1000
08-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Spin x or typhoon will give you lots of spin

btw PED, how's the APDGT compared to the ytpp?

PED
08-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Spin x or typhoon will give you lots of spin

btw PED, how's the APDGT compared to the ytpp?

If someone had warned me beforehand that it would take so long to adapt, I would not have changed. It's taken me a month of setup changes to get it to where I can be effective. My PP setup was 32.3cm balance and 345g. My apd + setup is now 32.7cm and 341g so it's close.

I tried hard to play it stock but I couldn't break an egg with the stick at 323g strung....lol

Nice stick and I'm finally getting the hang of it: it's a shock to go from 21.5mm beam to 26 :)

The other big change has been tension: I've ended up dropping my tension around 6 to 7lbs to compensate. At stock weight, I couldn't generate the weight of ball that I wanted but here at 341g, I'm back to being able to dictate a bit more.

The pluses are nasty angles crosscourt for both BH and FH and the serve is nice as well. I'd love to know what Tsonga's setup with this is: he was 345g unstrung with his Wilson's so this would be quite a change but that's why he's top 10 I guess :)

johndagolfer
08-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Thanks PED! Do you think I am losing a lot of spin by hybriding instead of going with a full bed of spinX. I think I may try a full bed of spinX. Should I keep them at the same tension? Thanks!

PED
08-22-2010, 07:02 PM
I used to hybrid and started using full poly back in late 07. The stiffer cross really makes all the difference and it gives you ball that crucial bit of spin to make it dip.

I'll be surprised if you have any arm issues with it. Regarding SpinX, I found the 17g works better in the Pro as opposed to the thicker 16g with no real loss in durability plus the feel and touch are improved.

Finally, if you are concerned about your arm, use the Red instead of the Silver. The Red tends to play a bit softer. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

bad_call
08-22-2010, 07:10 PM
SpinX didn't make the cut for this player when it came to spinny serves.

johndagolfer
08-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks I do use red. I'll let you know how it goes.

johndagolfer
08-23-2010, 06:24 PM
PED,

So I restrung my Youtek PP with a full bed of SpinX red at 53 lb. Wow is all I can say! I could tell from the first ball that I was in control again.

I had a match against a 4.0 today in the local park league...I am a 3.5.

the first set I was so tight and trying to hit the ball so hard that I was gripping too tightly and tensing up so much. While I was hitting some good shots I was hitting a ton of bad one.

I also felt my arm being fatigued and a tad sorer than normal. So for the 2nd set I told my self I am just going to swing looser and try not to hit the ball so hard and hit it deep. WOW there were 3 or 4 balls that we both thought were going out that dipped at the last second. My serve also did the same and kicked very nicely on both serves.

I ended up beating him 1-6 6-1 6-1. My first victory over a 4.0 since I got back into tennis!

Thanks for all the advice!

PED
08-24-2010, 04:14 AM
^^John, so glad it worked out for you and now like me, you're gonna be addicted to full poly :)