PDA

View Full Version : To PHT users: Which Gauge do you prefer most?

mrmo1115
08-21-2010, 08:20 PM
What the title says.

I am a long user of 16 Gauge but I am now settled on the 17 Gauge because I don't see any downside of moving up to the thinner gauge.

I shouldn't be losing any control by making the gauge switch should I?

What do you guys prefer ?

RoddickAce
08-21-2010, 08:26 PM
I've always used 16G for the normal Pro Hurricane and the PHT, so that's my preference.

mrmo1115
08-21-2010, 08:30 PM
I've always used the 16 Gauge as well. But as I've been using it through the years, I've been noticing a lot of people opting for the 17 Gauge.

I decided to jump on the bandwagon because I feel like going to a thinner gauge, I am not really sacrificing anything besides durability and I never pop the mains (I use PHT as a hybrid with it in the mains), while I am gaining things such as spin and more pop.

My only question is... am I sacrificing any sort of control with the thinner gauge?

scotus
08-21-2010, 08:33 PM
My only question is... am I sacrificing any sort of control with the thinner gauge?

You have used 16G for a long time, and now you have fully tested the 17G.

I would think you should be able to answer that yourself.

mrmo1115
08-21-2010, 08:35 PM
You have used 16G for a long time, and now you have fully tested the 17G.

I would think you should be able to answer that yourself.

Agreed , but the question I have is : In all cases, when going up to a thinner gauge, are you gaining, losing , keeping the same control as you do with a thicker gauge?

Ex: 16->17

Also, my stringer told me that since I am using PHT in a hybrid, VS Touch in the cross, he doesn't think there is a difference whether I am throwing on PHT 16 gauge or 17 gauge, he thinks it will feel the same and its just my head if I think there is any difference at all... is he right?

I guess I can feel some differences but sometimes I feel its so subtle that its not recognizable. Anyone else with a similar experience?

LPShanet
08-22-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm going to go against the group (and with the advice you got). I think the 17 gauge is a bit livelier and easier on the arm. And if you're not breaking it, then there's no reason not to give it a shot. Worst that happens is you go back to 16 after trying it.

mrmo1115
08-23-2010, 06:37 AM
Thanks. I definitely think it is actually a bit livelier. But I am not sure if I am losing control by going to the 17 gauge..

In all situations are you losing or gaining or keeping the same control between gauges such as 16 and 17.

LPShanet
08-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks. I definitely think it is actually a bit livelier. But I am not sure if I am losing control by going to the 17 gauge..

In all situations are you losing or gaining or keeping the same control between gauges such as 16 and 17.

Again, I'm sure you can find someone to disagree, but the prevailing wisdom is that thinner gauge strings may offer more bite and feedback, so if anything, they may give more control. However, if you equate shot length with loss of control, you may just have to adjust your aim to compensate.

Gugafan
08-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Mrmo abit off topic, but what poly setups/tension have you played in your fxp prestige mp??