PDA

View Full Version : Poor Man's Natural Gut?

headyoutekline
08-22-2010, 05:55 AM
Looking for poor man's natural gut, I was considering global and gaucho but because you can't play with it in the rain I have decided to cross them off the list ... So does anyone know a string that plays and looks like natural gut?

Thanks in advance!

MarrratSafin
08-22-2010, 06:09 AM
If you are looking for the best value real gut, definitely Pacific Classic. If you prefer a multi that plays like gut the most and you can play it in the rain with no worries, Iso Speed Professional Classic or X-1 Biphase are your best bet.

headyoutekline
08-22-2010, 06:13 AM
What about its appearance? (my friend told me to ask this)

meowmix
08-22-2010, 06:18 AM
Pacific Classic has more of an orangish tint to it than do most others. You can cross Classic mains with a synthetic gut to lower your costs more and retain most of the characteristics of gut.

headyoutekline
08-22-2010, 06:20 AM
What about something like Babolat Xcel?

meowmix
08-22-2010, 06:26 AM
Although some multis are more gut like than others, no multi really recreates the feel of natural gut. Excel is an excellent multi, but it doesn't give gut like feel.

headyoutekline
08-22-2010, 06:28 AM
Although some multis are more gut like than others, no multi really recreates the feel of natural gut. Excel is an excellent multi, but it doesn't give gut like feel.

Alright, how about Tecnifibre X-1 BiPhase?
Do you know which string looks mostly like gut?

acer4tennis
08-22-2010, 06:43 AM
Your other option to get Pacific Tough Gut for $29/full set.

headyoutekline
08-22-2010, 06:45 AM
No natural gut, weather is a ****.

bfactor61
08-22-2010, 07:07 AM
what about NRG2? I herd it plays very close to gut

Bud
08-22-2010, 07:15 AM
Looking for poor man's natural gut, I was considering global and gaucho but because you can't play with it in the rain I have decided to cross them off the list ... So does anyone know a string that plays and looks like natural gut?

Thanks in advance!

Strangely enough, Ashaway Dynamite plays similarly to gut. It's the closest I've ever found to NG.

vamos2050
08-22-2010, 07:20 AM
Go with the X-1.

kickenchiken92
08-22-2010, 07:29 AM
M2 Pro is a poly, highly doubt it plays anywhere near the ballpark of gut.

Applesauceman
08-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Alright, how about Tecnifibre X-1 BiPhase?
Do you know which string looks mostly like gut?

So do you want a string that LOOKS like gut, or PLAYS like gut? If you're looking for a string that LOOKS like gut, look for a string that comes in the color 'natural' (for example: Prince Syn Gut Multi).

Applesauceman
08-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Hmm .. they all seem to be going to Tecnifibre ... What about Luxilon M2 Pro?

I believe that Luxilon M2 Pro is pearl white in color.

ClubHoUno
08-22-2010, 11:09 AM

Thanks in advance!

No string play like natty gut - no string !!

Closest is - X-One, NRG2 and Xcel Power, but they don't play like natty gut at all, but they are the closest in my view.

ClubHoUno
08-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Hmm .. they all seem to be going to Tecnifibre ... What about Luxilon M2 Pro?

M2 Pro is a soft poly, and has nothing to do with natty gut :confused:

Centered
08-22-2010, 11:21 AM
what about NRG2? I herd it plays very close to gut
It holds its tension like gut, but is much stiffer.

Ashaway Dynamite is as close as you'll get at this point, according to Tennis Warehouse's testing numbers. The new Dynamite Soft is likely even more gut-like.

Centered
08-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Strangely enough, Ashaway Dynamite plays similarly to gut. It's the closest I've ever found to NG.
It's not strange. It's because it's made with Zyex (PEEK), rather than nylon.

PEEK has more gut-like dynamic stiffness than nylon does.

pyrokid
08-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Also keep in mind Dynamite is fairly new so not many people will be able to recommend it because they haven't tried it.

Centered
08-22-2010, 11:24 AM
For feel: Zyex -- Dynamite or Dynamite Soft

For tension retention: X-One Biphase. X-One is not as soft as gut or Zyex.

X-One is twice the price of Dynamite (when you buy 5 packs or more of Dynamite and get the $7.08 sale price). The regular price of Dynamite is $8.50 and X-One is $14.50. So, Dynamite is a better deal.

Centered
08-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Also keep in mind Dynamite is fairly new so not many people will be able to recommend it because they haven't tried it.
How many people recommend it is immaterial. The RSI and especially Tennis Warehouse hard data shows that it performs more like natural gut, in terms of dynamic stiffness, than nylon strings — because it's made of a different material. It does not have the tension retention of natural gut, but given the price difference, it is "poor man's gut" more than other strings.

What is true is that Dynamite Soft is new. In fact, it hasn't even come in stock yet at Tennis Warehouse. Dynamite Soft has thinner filaments of Zyex and an integrated outer material.

ClubHoUno
08-22-2010, 11:32 AM

It's not strange. It's because it's made with Zyex (PEEK), rather than nylon.

PEEK has more gut-like dynamic stiffness than nylon does.

Have you played with this Dynamite string, and if so, how did you like it ?

I received one set, but played with it during a period with rainy cold conditions, so maybe this is why it didn't feel that good to me....... :confused:

parasailing
08-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Would you guys say Dynamite plays like IsoSpeed Professional?

Centered
08-22-2010, 11:44 AM
I have played with Dynamite WB 16 and Dynamite 17. They are both more like natural gut than the NRG-2 I used to use.

I haven't played with Dynamite Soft in either the 17 or 18 gauges because it hasn't come into stock anywhere just yet.

My friend has been using Dynamite 17 in his racquet for quite some time now and even though the outer coating has worn off on a few strings, it still plays well. He has become a tougher opponent since switching from NRG-2 and I think he's playing even better with the Dynamite than he did with Babolat 15L gut. I love VS Team 17, but I find the thick "longevity" gut a bit less impressive than Dynamite.

Dynamite is a powerful string at lower tensions, so people may struggle with control if they are used to harder nylon strings. But, higher tensions will increase its stiffness, of course.

Centered
08-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Dynamite is more gut-like at lower tensions, especially with medium or fast swing speeds.

The IsoSpeed string should be of similar softness at high tensions. However, it's difficult to say exactly since Tennis Warehouse only tested the thickest gauge of Dynamite, WB 16 (1.41mm). The IsoSpeed is 1.29mm and the 17 gauge Dynamite should be just as soft or softer at high tensions.

Dynamite Soft should be significantly more gut-like than the IsoSpeed at any tension, but I don't have numbers yet so this is just a guess.

Bud
08-22-2010, 11:53 AM

Ashaway Dynamite has been around for many years.

- - - - -

Have you played with this Dynamite string, and if so, how did you like it ?

I received one set, but played with it during a period with rainy cold conditions, so maybe this is why it didn't feel that good to me....... :confused:

At what tension did you string it? It should be strung around 40-45#. If strung too high it's like hitting with a board.

- - - - -

I like it more than ISP... AD is crisper and more powerful.

Most people don't like AD because the strings move all over the place. After one point, they are completely messed up. So, if you have ADHD and like neat strings... it's not the product for you :)

pyrokid
08-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Sorry, I meant dynamite soft.

Centered
08-22-2010, 12:04 PM
It should be strung around 40-45#. If strung too high it's like hitting with board.
In comparison to low tension it would feel boardy, but in comparison with most other strings it's still very soft.

For instance, the thickest gauge Dynamite, 1.41mm has a stiffness of only 149.7 at the highest tension of 62 lbs with pre-stretching and fast swing speed. That's quite low.

IsoSpeed Professional Classic 1.29mm has a stiffness of 130.9. That's a bit softer, but keep in mind it's a thinner gauge. Wilson Sensation 1.34mm has a stiffness of 211.5. Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex 1.30mm has a stiffness of 213.7. Babolat RPM Blast has a stiffness of 286.3.

Dynamite 1.41mm, strung at 40 lbs without pre-stretching, has a stiffness of 104.6, while the IsoSpeed has a stiffness of 133.2. Wilson Sensation 1.34mm has a stiffness of 145.2. Wilson NXT Tour has a stiffness of 150.9. Babolat RPM Blast 16 has a stiffness of 201.2.

So, it is true that Dynamite is very soft at low tensions, but it's still quite soft at high tensions in comparison with most other strings. Natural gut can be significantly softer at high tensions, though. To make Dynamite play more like gut, it has to be strung at a lower tension than one strings gut at.

The reason Dynamite may seem firmer than people expect is because it gives significantly more with faster swings than it does with slower swings. I've found it very helpful for drop shots for this reason.

Bud
08-22-2010, 12:07 PM
In comparison to low tension it would feel boardy, but in comparison with most other strings it's still very soft.

For instance, the thickest gauge Dynamite, 1.41mm has a stiffness of only 149.7 at the highest tension of 62 lbs with pre-stretching and fast swing speed. That's quite low.

IsoSpeed Professional Classic 1.29mm has a stiffness of 130.9. That's a bit softer, but keep in mind it's a thinner gauge. Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex 1.30mm has a stiffness of 213.7. Babolat RPM Blast has a stiffness of 286.3.

Dynamite 1.41mm, strung at 40 lbs without pre-stretching, has a stiffness of 104.6, while the IsoSpeed has a stiffness of 133.2. Wilson NXT Tour has a stiffness of 150.9. Babolat RPM Blast 16 has a stiffness of 201.2.

So, it is true that Dynamite is very soft at low tensions, but it's still quite soft at high tensions in comparison with other strings.

I found that at 60#, strung on a dropweight machine, it was way too stiff.

Centered
08-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Were you using the 1.41mm 16 gauge string or the 17? What string did you think it was stiff in comparison with?

Do you have a slow swing speed generally?

In my experience (which the Tennis Warehouse numbers bear out), the thick gauge string feels firm with slow swing speeds and gives like gut (and feels very soft) at higher swing speeds. While it's true that thick gauge strings behave like this in general, Dynamite seems to respond to force more like gut (dynamite stiffness), which is supported by the data. I was surprised at how firm the strings felt when I hit slow slice shots at first, but how lively it was when I'd hit a fast topspin shot. But, it just took a bit of adjustment, since I was used to nylon at that point. Now I'm used to it and I've actually developed a good drop shot -- a shot that has eluded me since I started playing.

parasailing
08-22-2010, 03:30 PM
At what tension did you string it? It should be strung around 40-45#. If strung too high it's like hitting with a board.

- - - - -

I like it more than ISP... AD is crisper and more powerful.

Most people don't like AD because the strings move all over the place. After one point, they are completely messed up. So, if you have ADHD and like neat strings... it's not the product for you :)

Messed up strings don't bother me too much :). I tested out Isospeed Professional 17 and it plays soft, but lacks feel or crispness, and doesn't offer much power.

For this string, what would the recommended tension be for the KPS 88? I string multis around 55lbs on my KPS 88s and from what you saying, this string needs to be strung a lot lower tension range.

Bud
08-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Were you using the 1.41mm 16 gauge string or the 17? What string did you think it was stiff in comparison with?

Do you have a slow swing speed generally?

In my experience (which the Tennis Warehouse numbers bear out), the thick gauge string feels firm with slow swing speeds and gives like gut (and feels very soft) at higher swing speeds. While it's true that thick gauge strings behave like this in general, Dynamite seems to respond to force more like gut (dynamite stiffness), which is supported by the data. I was surprised at how firm the strings felt when I hit slow slice shots at first, but how lively it was when I'd hit a fast topspin shot. But, it just took a bit of adjustment, since I was used to nylon at that point. Now I'm used to it and I've actually developed a good drop shot -- a shot that has eluded me since I started playing.

It's black 17g (from a reel)... and I swing fast.

Messed up strings don't bother me too much :). I tested out Isospeed Professional 17 and it plays soft, but lacks feel or crispness, and doesn't offer much power.

For this string, what would the recommended tension be for the KPS 88? I string multis around 55lbs on my KPS 88s and from what you saying, this string needs to be strung a lot lower tension range.

Try it at 45#

Centered
08-22-2010, 08:08 PM
My friend uses Dynamite 17 at 51 lbs and he's happy with it. But it is in a much larger and lighter frame than a KPS.

I think my racquet, which has the thicker WB 16, is strung at 50. It could stand to be a bit tighter.