PDA

View Full Version : Allwood - Tips for strings and stringing

fms
08-22-2010, 09:24 AM
I recently got my first wooden racket, and I was wondering if you guys could help me out with some advice on some points.

The racket is the Donnay Allwood; it's this one I think:
Allwood first generation (http://www.80s-tennis.com/pages/donnay-allwood-first-generation_1976.html).

What I wanted to ask was:

1. Does anybody have the stringing pattern for this Allwood racket?
I'm letting it string at a sports store, and I thought I might just as well provide them with some concrete info on how to string it; they've never strung a wooden racket before but they're willing to do it (at my own risk of course). I'm not too worried about it since I've read that it's quite easy to string a wood racket, and well, it's my only option here in the neighbourhood.
By the way, I've actually found general patterns for wooden rackets in a few older threads, but I remember they're not all alike and I don't know which to pick.
Any other things to mention to the stringer, or to look out for?

2. Which string would you recommend for this? It's just for playing one or two sets per year, so I want to avoid anything expensive. Right now I've pretty much narrowed the options down to Wilson Sensation 16 and Weiss Cannon Explosiv (which both stay under the 10 euros). I had Tecnifibre Multifeel on that list, too, but it's not an entire multifilament if I'm not mistaken? And can the poly coating on the Explosiv do any harm?

3. Which tensions would you recommend? I'm thinking about 48-50.

Many thanks!

WitheringDemise
08-22-2010, 09:36 AM
First of all: The stringing pattern can be seen on the picture you just linked us to. Its a 18x20 pattern. Seems to have several shared holes, needs power pads if you're using a poly. You could string it with a syn. gut, since its cheap and will last you over a year without use. Not sure about the tension though..

fms
08-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks. I'd like to use a multi, as that would be the softest for the wood (and closest to natural gut) if I'm not mistaken?

As to the stringing pattern, I found this as a guide to stringing wooden rackets on the forums; is it correct for this racket, too?

Short side 8-9 feet.
Pattern 18M x 20X
M skips 9T , although there are some that skips the 9H as well, (Tad and Davis frames come to mind on that).
Start X 7H
Last X 7T
Tie off main 6T
Tie off X 6H, 5T
Shared holes:7T,8T,10T, 7H, 8H,9T

jim e
08-22-2010, 10:35 AM
I strung a great # of wooden racquets back in the 60's. Below is a general guide. Very simple to string.

General wooden pattern:
Pattern: 18 20
Tension range: 45-60
Start mains @: H
Tie off mains @: 6T
Mains skip: 9T
Start crosses @: 7H
Last cross @: 7T
Tie off crosses @: 6H, 5T

Have them put power pads under the 1st 2 mains on each side, as that makes the angle of the string less sharp.

Many wooden racquets share a common stringing method. Others can be strung with variations on this method, like the Tad skipping 9H as well as 9T, but you can see variations with these racquets by the grooves in the racquet.
If you want to string as one piece then, Zig-zag (5 hole) groove will accommodate short side.These grooves are not standardized, so you may need to pre string loosly with some to determine the proper short side.I always strung them as 2 piece, especially with gut, as Bow Brand back then came in 2- 17' pieces to one set of strings.

fms
08-25-2010, 02:08 AM
Thanks! I'll print this out and give it to the stringer.

I think I've decided on Weiss Cannon Explosiv at around 48 lbs. But also ordered a Wilson Sensation just in case I change my mind ;)

fms
08-25-2010, 03:11 AM
Oh, one more thing though.

I've seen three alternatives of the shared holes on wooden rackets pop up on this forum:
7T, 8T, 10T & 7H, 8H, 10H
7T, 8T, 10T, 7H, 8H, 9T
7T, 8T, 10T & 7H, 8H, 9H

Which one is it for the Allwood? Apologies if this is a really stupid question.

(Btw, somebody also said about some wood racquet to skip the 8th hole or something...)

kevoT
08-25-2010, 04:42 AM
I think your chances on finding out how to string a wooden racquet would be better if you search on google or on the classic racquets section.