PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Hitting Partners Thread

thejuice
08-22-2010, 12:03 PM
I did a quick search and did not find anything similar to what I'm hoping to accomplish. I want to know if there are any players in Atlanta that would be willing to start a TT users hitting club. No fees to pay or anything. I was thinking about a thread that Devolito started regarding finding hitting partners. I actually want to hit on this gorgeous day we have here in Atlanta and my usual suspects are nowhere to be found. So how about it? Anyone in Atlanta (male and female) interested in starting a network of hitting partners outside their normal "safe" environment of ALTA and USTA teams?

There are websites that can be used to set up challenge ladders and hitting groups if I'm not mistaken.

yellowlink
08-24-2010, 07:21 PM
I am up for it. I am probably a 3.0 - 3.5 player. I need to join USTA. but I will be happy to hit with you. I am currently at UGA, but I reside in fayetteville. about 30 mins away from downtown.

SweetH2O
08-24-2010, 07:42 PM
I'm in for 3.5+/- level (I ain't too picky). OTP on the west side of town.

thejuice
08-25-2010, 02:51 AM
So what days are good for you both to hit? Are Sunday afternoons good for you? I live in Gwinnett but I was thinking we could find a nice, centralized park somewhere downtown to hit.

Anymore takers?

SweetH2O
08-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Sunday afternoons would usually be the best for me, but this whole weekend is already booked. I'd probably be able to meet on Sunday afternoons 80% of the time, especially if I found some people more local to hit with.

thejuice
08-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Sweetwater, we are in the same boat. Most Sundays are great for me as well. This Sunday sucks with the wife going out of town but next week should be a go.

AutoXer
08-27-2010, 10:51 AM
I am way up in Cartersville.

bcart1991
08-27-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm in Douglasville.

Sleepstream
08-27-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm near Suwanee.

thejuice
08-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Would you all that recently replied also be interested in meeting in a neutral location? It seems that everyone is kind of all over the place (although I'm not too far from Sleepstream). How about Labor Day weekend (which is next weekend)?

AutoXer
08-29-2010, 04:03 PM
I would, but i'll be out of town. I haven't been to the Sunday morning round robin at Sandy Springs TC in awhile. Might have to make the trip down after vacation.

thejuice
08-30-2010, 07:41 PM
I would, but i'll be out of town. I haven't been to the Sunday morning round robin at Sandy Springs TC in awhile. Might have to make the trip down after vacation.

What time do they do the RR? I am usually in church on Sunday mornings. Anytime after church I am game!!!

bcart1991
08-31-2010, 04:05 AM
I'm near Suwanee.

We should totally get together for a weekday lunch-hour hitaround.

AutoXer
08-31-2010, 06:28 AM
What time do they do the RR? I am usually in church on Sunday mornings. Anytime after church I am game!!!

It's about 8-10 in the morning. Usually enough people to play until a bit after 11am.

kimguroo
08-31-2010, 07:56 AM
anyone interested in playing tennis in Atlanta.
you can check http://www.meetup.com/TotallyTennis/
there are several other groups in Atlanta but there are many beginners so we decided to make own group that requires 3.0+ level so at least people can rally more than 3 times ^_^

if you talk with the organizer, you might be able to set up your own tennis meet up.

gatorskb12
08-31-2010, 09:25 AM
I am a 3.5-4.0 player who lives in athens and works in suwanee id be down for something like this.

thejuice
08-31-2010, 06:57 PM
Ok, I am happy to know there are a lot of Atlanta area TT players. I'm thinking we set up a TT Open, maybe round robin style. Open to ladies and gents. What does everyone think?

SweetH2O
08-31-2010, 07:09 PM
Sure. If you build it, they will come.

Or at least I probably would.

thejuice
08-31-2010, 08:25 PM
Sure. If you build it, they will come.

Or at least I probably would.

I will get to work on it.

thejuice
09-02-2010, 08:15 PM
It's about 8-10 in the morning. Usually enough people to play until a bit after 11am.

Hey AutoXer, I believe we've met before. Do you get your racquets strung at Hardcore Tennis in Smyrna?

Sleepstream
09-08-2010, 03:51 PM
We should totally get together for a weekday lunch-hour hitaround.

That's possible.

bcart1991
09-09-2010, 04:39 AM
Ha, I was being sarcastic. Douglasville is kinda far from Suwanee, and I don't have three-hour lunches...

Sleepstream
09-09-2010, 05:41 AM
Ha, I was being sarcastic. Douglasville is kinda far from Suwanee, and I don't have three-hour lunches...

You should complain to your employer...

bcart1991
09-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Believe me, I've sent more than one scathing email to our HR rep about this very thing. They won't cave.

AtomicForehand
09-09-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm in A-retta and would be interested if there are others on the north side!

chollyred
09-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Must be nice to live in one of the hot bed areas. I'm about 40 miles east of Atlanta near Conyers.

hescobal
09-09-2010, 11:12 AM
i'm in stone mountain, usually in marietta. I also use to play a lot in duluth, a park called WP Jones park

thejuice
09-09-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm in A-retta and would be interested if there are others on the north side!

Hey AF, I live in Norcross right near the Johns Creek line. You aren't far from me at all. Where do you normally play?

i'm in stone mountain, usually in marietta. I also use to play a lot in duluth, a park called WP Jones park

You're all over town like me. We need to get out and hit.

pabletion
09-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Hey ATL TTWers! Im thinking of going to Atlanta very soon, if not next week, a couple of weeks from this one, and wanna bring my badass Pure Storm GT along. Glad I saw this thread I hope I can hit with some of you guys when Im there!!

hescobal
09-09-2010, 06:11 PM
You're all over town like me. We need to get out and hit.

Sounds good. What days work for you?

spot
09-10-2010, 04:33 AM
We have a big group of people that plays all the time around Dekalb Tennis Center. If anyone lives nearby let me know as we are always looking for a fourth. (or 20th as the case was last night)

AtomicForehand
09-10-2010, 04:40 AM
Hey AF, I live in Norcross right near the Johns Creek line. You aren't far from me at all. Where do you normally play?

Hey Juice--I just play in the subdivisions and parks in the area via ALTA/USTA/T2. What about you?

If we can get a few more people we could maybe form a steady hitting group...

hb_hound
09-10-2010, 05:08 AM
I'm in Grayson if anyone is close (3.0 / 3.5)

JackB1
09-10-2010, 05:21 AM
I am in North Atlanta near I-75 and Windy Hill Rd, near the Marietta border. I can hit most weekdays after 6 pm.

Also, my ALTA team (B6) needs a few players. We have our first match Sat. and may be short a couple. Email me thru my profile if interested in hitting sometime or in the team.

Jack

SmoothOperator
09-10-2010, 06:17 AM
I'm on the northside as well (alpharetta). Sunday mornings are about the only time that I can hit during the fall since I'm playing ALTA, USTA mixed and K-Swiss plus team practices.

AutoXer
09-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Hey AutoXer, I believe we've met before. Do you get your racquets strung at Hardcore Tennis in Smyrna?

Yes, I do :D
I was just down there today.

Joey

thejuice
09-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Sounds good. What days work for you?

I start a new position with my company on the 20th that will take some flexibility away from my schedule but I still get out on the weekends and will be trying to plan some evenings.

We have a big group of people that plays all the time around Dekalb Tennis Center. If anyone lives nearby let me know as we are always looking for a fourth. (or 20th as the case was last night)

Is Thursday the normal day your group hits?

thejuice
09-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Hey Juice--I just play in the subdivisions and parks in the area via ALTA/USTA/T2. What about you?

If we can get a few more people we could maybe form a steady hitting group...

I do the same. I haven't joined any of the S&T clubs although it seems this area forces you to do that (a rant for another day). I hit at Newtown Park in Alpharetta, East Roswell Park, Hudlow TC. Are there any public parks in Johns Creek?

I'm on the northside as well (alpharetta). Sunday mornings are about the only time that I can hit during the fall since I'm playing ALTA, USTA mixed and K-Swiss plus team practices.

Sunday mornings are bad for me because of church. How about Sunday evenings? Maybe even Friday evenings?

thejuice
09-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Yes, I do :D
I was just down there today.

Joey

Hey, we met once while talking to Tony. You were talking about my Babolat racquets and Tony was throwing on a leather grip and stringing your Fischers. I know you may not remember but we were kind of talking sh*t then (playing around of course). It is a small world. I will be going in there probably Monday to get my sticks restrung.

AutoXer
09-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Yea, I remember that. I always like to have fun and talk some smack at the shop. That Fischer Tony had weighted up for me, so I could try it more headlight. It ended up being just awesome, but way to heavy for me. It was 362g strung. Played awesome, but I am too much a weakling for that bad boy. I just took the weight off and it's back to stock specs again.

Hopefully, I'll get to see you up there again. Tony and Eric are the only ones that i'll let touch my sticks.

Joey

thejuice
09-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Yea, I remember that. I always like to have fun and talk some smack at the shop. That Fischer Tony had weighted up for me, so I could try it more headlight. It ended up being just awesome, but way to heavy for me. It was 362g strung. Played awesome, but I am too much a weakling for that bad boy. I just took the weight off and it's back to stock specs again.

Hopefully, I'll get to see you up there again. Tony and Eric are the only ones that i'll let touch my sticks.

Joey

I agree. They have been my stringers for at least five years and I couldn't imagine going anywhere else. If Eric knows anything, he knows string!!!

spot
09-13-2010, 05:12 AM
Thursdays are our night- playing tennis with a big group and then heading out to watch college football at Famous Pub right around the corner is a night that all of us look forward to.

thejuice
09-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Thursdays are our night- playing tennis with a big group and then heading out to watch college football at Famous Pub right around the corner is a night that all of us look forward to.

Is anyone else open to joining Spot on Thursdays? I know I am!!! Maybe not this Thursday but starting next Thursday?

thejuice
09-13-2010, 07:50 PM

Is anyone else open to joining Spot on Thursdays? I know I am!!! Maybe not this Thursday but starting next Thursday?

spot
09-14-2010, 05:39 AM
I'm also organizing a big mixed doubles round robin for Friday the 24th at Dekalb Tennis Center. We have 50 people already signed up but can take a few more. Its $10 which includes beer. Just the same idea- get a bunch of fun tennis players in the same spot and then go out for drinks afterward. You can get more information or sign up at www.dekalbtennis.com Its a really fun group of people and I'm sure anyone who likes tennis enough to post on this message board would have a good time. We had everyone from AA1 to beginners sign up for the last one.

spot
09-14-2010, 05:44 AM
Thursdays are our team practice night (we have 2 teams since we got big enough that it made sense to add an additional team). And of course afterward we head to the bar for College football. If you guys are looking for a fun night to go out I definitely recommend getting a few guys out to hit on Thursdays then join us at Famous to watch some football. Or let me know your email (or cell number) and I'll tell you when we need someone to even up numbers. One team is A2 and the other is A6 so the level of play is pretty solid.

Ambivalent
09-14-2010, 06:12 AM
If anyone is willing to come to the Emory University campus, I can hit there. 4.5 level player.

spot
09-14-2010, 10:26 AM
By the way- I have a friend who is looking for some girls for her Sunday Women's A2 team that plays out of the Carl Sanders YMCA. (Buckhead and you do not need to be a member) Just because of injuries and pregnancies they have come up way short on players and are having serious trouble fielding a full lineup. So if anyone knows a woman who is looking for a high level team to play on let me know.

thejuice
09-14-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm also organizing a big mixed doubles round robin for Friday the 24th at Dekalb Tennis Center. We have 50 people already signed up but can take a few more. Its $10 which includes beer. Just the same idea- get a bunch of fun tennis players in the same spot and then go out for drinks afterward. You can get more information or sign up at www.dekalbtennis.com Its a really fun group of people and I'm sure anyone who likes tennis enough to post on this message board would have a good time. We had everyone from AA1 to beginners sign up for the last one.

Hey Spot, this is cool!!! Are any of the other TTers interested in playing in this round robin? I'm down!!!

Spot, please email me at juicemilton@yahoo.com.

AutoXer
09-19-2010, 04:35 AM
The RR sounds really cool. I have to take a break for awhile and let the old body heal for a month or two. I would be interested in the next one though.

Joey

spot
09-20-2010, 06:02 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

spot
10-21-2010, 05:14 AM
For anyone interested- I am putting together another Mixed Doubles Round Robin at Dekalb Tennis Center for tomorrow night (10/22). The last one went great- it was a really fun group of people. We filled up all the spots for this one in less than a day but because of some cancellations and injuries we do have a couple spots open. We have AA down to C8 players signed up already. The cost is $15 this time as people drank more beer than I ever thought they could while on the court. (though the fact we have a beer girl probably helps...) You can get more information or sign up at www.dekalbtennis.com (http://dekalbtennis.com)

AutoXer
10-22-2010, 04:06 AM
Dang, I have to miss this one too. :(

I have practice with one of my teams tonight. I have state for 6.5 combo and 7.5 combo coming up in a few short weeks.

thejuice
10-22-2010, 05:11 AM
I have to miss too Spot. I have a previous engagement locked in with the wife so I would be in a true doghouse if I tried to play tonight.

spot
10-22-2010, 07:43 AM
Ha- well to make you guys feel better about missing those spots filled up and there is now a waitlist. IF you want to be notified of the next one then you can put your email address in on the site as the spots do not tend to last long.

We are trying to decide if its worth trying to do one more in November before we take a break until the spring. November 19th is the week after city finals and Dekalb has offered us 16 courts which would be a ton of fun. Just don't know what the weather will be like by then.

asekaran
10-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Wish I had seen this post a little back, seems like a lot of fun and probably would have driven down since I don't get to play much doubles.

If anyone wants to play up in the Kennesaw area (at the university) feel free to let me know

hescobal
10-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Wish I had seen this post a little back, seems like a lot of fun and probably would have driven down since I don't get to play much doubles.

If anyone wants to play up in the Kennesaw area (at the university) feel free to let me know

I'll be up in marietta saturday, and might head to kennesaw to watch my sister play doubles. I could hit, but shoulder is a little sore from serves

JackB1
10-25-2010, 07:17 AM

I work in the Kennesaw area near the University and am always looking for hitting partners. Drop me an email thru my profile if u are interested.

Also, anyone in the North Atlanta / Marrietta area that wants to hit or play some singles, let me know. I am near i-75 and 285.

AND.....my USTA Men's doubles team needs a couple of players - we are 3.5 level and play in Marietta area.

obtn
11-01-2010, 09:49 AM
I work in the Kennesaw area near the University and am always looking for hitting partners. Drop me an email thru my profile if u are interested.

Also, anyone in the North Atlanta / Marrietta area that wants to hit or play some singles, let me know. I am near i-75 and 285.

AND.....my USTA Men's doubles team needs a couple of players - we are 3.5 level and play in Marietta area.

I am a 3.5ish player and live in the Marietta area, close to Austell. Where do you guys play out of? I'm looking for a team.

JackB1
11-02-2010, 05:10 AM
I am a 3.5ish player and live in the Marietta area, close to Austell. Where do you guys play out of? I'm looking for a team.

We play out of Terrel Mill Tennis Center in Marietta. Drop me an email thru my profile if u want more info.

spot
11-09-2010, 04:37 AM
We are doing another Mixed Doubles Round Robin at Dekalb Tennis Center on November 19th. This is the week between City Finals and Thanksgiving and then taking a break until Spring. Dekalb gave us extra courts this time so I'd anticipate there being at least 60 people playing. The cost is $15 which includes snacks and beer. Its just a lot of fun people who like the idea of having a few drinks and hitting with fun people and then heading out for some more drinks afterward. I'd be absolutely shocked if anyone who likes tennis enough to post on this message board wouldn't have a great time. You can get more information or sign up at www.dekalbtennis.com.

AtomicForehand
11-09-2010, 04:44 AM
Spot, is it for both men and women?

spot
11-09-2010, 05:30 AM
Yes- its mixed doubles. If you have a partner you would like to play with just let me know when you sign up. Or else its absolutely no problem to start you out with someone new.

The level of play has been quite strong at these- this is definitely not your typical round robin crowd. It really is a fun night and as I said I would be shocked if anyone who posts here wouldn't have a great time.

AtomicForehand
11-09-2010, 05:45 AM
What would you say the level of play is? My mixed partner and I might show up if we fit!

spot
11-09-2010, 05:57 AM
Literally we have had everyone from true Beginners to College level players.

Because this started with my group of friends more than 50% of the people who have signed up have had an A level rating (or higher). But through word of mouth we have started to fill out the other levels as well. The nice thing about this one is that with 16 courts I should be able to place just about everyone with comparable players where there should be a pretty smooth increase in play as we go up the courts.

AtomicForehand
11-09-2010, 06:00 AM
Cool. I'll check with my partner.

JackB1
11-09-2010, 06:15 AM
Anyone ever try the "ramblin wreck" adult clinics at GA Tech college?

jakemcclain32
11-09-2010, 12:13 PM
I am a 3.0-3.5 in the Sandy Springs area, and I am interested.

thejuice
11-09-2010, 05:39 PM
We play out of Terrel Mill Tennis Center in Marietta. Drop me an email thru my profile if u want more info.

Jack, do you still need players?

JackB1
11-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Jack, do you still need players?

We are good for right now, but I really need to find another team next season. This team is always scrambling for players and is full of guys who are not totally committed. They show up for half the games if we are lucky.
I would like to find a team of totally dependable guys who are really into it, like I am.

thejuice
11-12-2010, 05:38 PM
We are good for right now, but I really need to find another team next season. This team is always scrambling for players and is full of guys who are not totally committed. They show up for half the games if we are lucky.
I would like to find a team of totally dependable guys who are really into it, like I am.

I totally agree. I've played on a team of non-committed guys and then a team of buddies that make sure they only play their friends. They would treat the guys that haven't been on the team for years like subs.

spot
11-17-2010, 05:29 AM
We have 62 people signed up for the Round Robin this Friday at Dekalb Tennis Center but after a couple cancellations we do still have room for 2 more guys. This is not a typical round robin crowd at all and I'll be absolutely shocked if anyone who likes tennis enough to post here wouldn't have a great time with our group. Once again you can get more information or sign up at www.dekalbtennis.com

j00dypoo
12-23-2010, 02:17 AM
I'm certainly late to the party...

Anyone here try to hit during the winter? I have trouble finding people (esp during the weekdays) that will hit in anything but the sunniest, mildest days in the winter. I'm 4.5-5.0... somewhere in there, I think. I live in Norcross/Peachtree Corners area. Would love to have someone to rally and play against.

obtn
12-23-2010, 05:17 AM
I'm certainly late to the party...

Anyone here try to hit during the winter? I have trouble finding people (esp during the weekdays) that will hit in anything but the sunniest, mildest days in the winter. I'm 4.5-5.0... somewhere in there, I think. I live in Norcross/Peachtree Corners area. Would love to have someone to rally and play against.

I'll play in just about anything, but I live in Marietta and am below your level... I work in Buckhead though, so could meet you after work sometimes if you are desperate and would hit with someone lower than you. :)

JackB1
12-23-2010, 07:05 AM
I'll play in just about anything, but I live in Marietta and am below your level... I work in Buckhead though, so could meet you after work sometimes if you are desperate and would hit with someone lower than you. :)

Obtn...I am also in Marietta. What level are u? I am 3.5 and am always looking for hitting partners. Drop me an email if u are interested...jackbandel@gmail.com

obtn
12-23-2010, 07:12 AM
Obtn...I am also in Marietta. What level are u? I am 3.5 and am always looking for hitting partners. Drop me an email if u are interested...jackbandel@gmail.com

lol, Jack, this is Taylor... you have my e-mail already. :)

If you'd like to hit though, shoot me an e-mail!

j00dypoo
12-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Yeah I would love to hit sometime with you guys. Unfortunately, for the time being I have to rest a week or so as I messed up my wrist :/

Sreeram
07-11-2011, 12:31 PM
I am 3.5 player near Vinings area 30339. I have apartment courts. Email me if anyone wants to hit.

JackB1
07-11-2011, 01:34 PM
I am 3.5 player near Vinings area 30339. I have apartment courts. Email me if anyone wants to hit.

Sreeram, you know I am always available to hit if you want. Just call or text.
What apartment courts do u have?

p.s. Anyone else in the area near Windy Hill Rd and I-75 that needs a hitting partner...3.5-4.0 drop me a line at jackbandelgmail.com

Sreeram
07-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Sreeram, you know I am always available to hit if you want. Just call or text.
What apartment courts do u have?

p.s. Anyone else in the area near Windy Hill Rd and I-75 that needs a hitting partner...3.5-4.0 drop me a line at jackbandelgmail.com

I live near the home depot store on paces ferry road. Please feel free to email when you want to hit anytime after 6 PM. I dont go to athletic club anymore and I dont know anyone in my new community.

The Wreck
07-11-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm a college kid anywhere between 4.0 and 5.0 depending on which side of the bed I wake up on that day (Closer to 4.0-4.5). I live in Cumming, until school starts (then Athens), and always looking for some good competition to hit with.

JackB1
08-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Still looking for more hitting partners in the S. Marietta area near Windy Hill & Powers Ferry Rd. I have courts or can come to yours. 3.5-4.0 level players please.

jackbandel@gmail.com

jakemcclain32
08-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Just emailed you man.

TheGreatestAudia
08-30-2011, 06:07 AM
I live in Acworth. Sundays are good for me. Anyone up that far?

jakemcclain32
08-30-2011, 06:51 AM
I'm not there, but I can travel there.

Dave_D
08-30-2011, 08:57 AM
I live in Suwanee, work in Norcross. 3.5 level player right now, getting over my tennis elbow. If someone were to start up a tournament during a weekend, I know a few that would be willing.

I'm also up for a hitting partner. Weekends are kind of tough unless it's in the morning, but I'm game during the week.

jakemcclain32
08-30-2011, 09:08 AM
Can you email me Dave? jakemcclain30@yahoo.com

I'm up for that.

aurelius
09-09-2011, 05:42 AM
I am a 3.0-3.5 in the Sandy Springs area, and I am interested.

Actually, Jake you're more like a 2.5/3.0 (very low end of 3.0). I thought that would have been clear by now from the discussion on your other thread.

And the videos you've posted.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jakemcclaintennis

If any TW posters actually play with Jake, I'm sure the other thread about his blog would love to hear about it.

JackB1
09-09-2011, 07:29 AM
Still looking for more hitting partners in the S. Marietta area near Windy Hill & Powers Ferry Rd. I have courts or can come to yours. 3.5-4.0 level players please......

jackbandel@gmail.com

JackB1
09-09-2011, 07:35 AM
Actually, Jake you're more like a 2.5/3.0 (very low end of 3.0). I thought that would have been clear by now from the discussion on your other thread.

And the videos you've posted.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jakemcclaintennis

If any TW posters actually play with Jake, I'm sure the other thread about his blog would love to hear about it.

^^^
I have to agree. Those are not 3.5 strokes whatsoever. Most 3.5's would just slam your backhand all day and you wouldn't win one game. You don't use your body at all and your left arm is hanging down like it's dead. Jake you have have a long way to 3.5 IMO.

mightyrick
09-09-2011, 08:29 AM
^^^
I have to agree. Those are not 3.5 strokes whatsoever. Most 3.5's would just slam your backhand all day and you wouldn't win one game. You don't use your body at all and your left arm is hanging down like it's dead. Jake you have have a long way to 3.5 IMO.

That's 3.0 tennis (definitely not 2.5). Eastern forehand frying pan serve. Underspin dink forehand. A little bit of a backhand. Some semblence of directional control. Bad footwork.

MNPlayer
09-09-2011, 09:34 AM
That's 3.0 tennis (definitely not 2.5). Eastern forehand frying pan serve. Underspin dink forehand. A little bit of a backhand. Some semblence of directional control. Bad footwork.

Whatever happened to our friend's fun, fun thread?

ian2
09-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Whatever happened to our friend's fun, fun thread?
Looks like the moderators took it down. It was getting into some dangerous territory... I suspect TW doesn't want to be liable. Our friend seems to be very resilient though, and blessed with a rare ability to shake things off and move on with his life, unscathed. Good luck to him.

TheGreatestAudia
09-09-2011, 11:08 AM
lol Ouch...

spot
09-09-2011, 01:25 PM
I run the Friday Night Round Robin out of Dekalb Tennis Center. We have well over 50 people getting together to play tonight but after a couple last minute cancellations we have 2 spots available. Its $15 which includes beer, balls, water, and court fees. Its a very fun group of people and the level of play is quite high. (Probably 8 courts of A and AA players) Play runs from 7 to 9:15 and then we head out for drinks afterward.

Anyway- if anyone wants to participate go ahead and to go www.dekalbtennis.com to signup!

yonexpurestorm
09-09-2011, 01:41 PM
that sux they took down that thread. that was probably the most entertaining thread ive read.

jakemcclain32
09-09-2011, 03:15 PM
I hated that it was taken down. I admit asking for the one post that started a powder keg to be taken down, and that was because the story isn't true. I would have loved to keep it up, but I guess mod saw too much.

I'd like to keep this going, but I probably need to talk to the mod and make sure it won't get swiped. I would also like to make sure that I can get positive feedback when needed and constructive criticism when needed. Saying I am a 2.5 is more than cool, whether I believe it or not. It's a constructive opinion based off of that awful match. Saying my backhand looks like I am holding a frying pan? Constructive.

Giving unsubstantiated claims about mental illness, and other mean spirited things that aren't true, and trying to torpedo my blog with a real old story, then hiding, is not a way to keep it going. Myself? It's never going to affect me at all. I have an incredibly thick skin. But it'll just blow it up again.

I already got an email from someone asking what happened. If we can guarantee that this can be a constructive thread with tips from better players, and showing improvement from terrible habits that impede my progress, then I think we have a nice ongoing story.

aurelius
09-09-2011, 04:43 PM
I already got an email from someone asking what happened. If we can guarantee that this can be a constructive thread with tips from better players, and showing improvement from terrible habits that impede my progress, then I think we have a nice ongoing story.

Jake, a few suggestions:
1) Let's not take over this thread unless you're meeting up with the Atlanta folks to hit about
2) You have a fresh start to begin a new thread that could be interesting and constructive and relate to the USTA league/tournaments in terms of rankings etc.
3) The delusion/mental illness comments started because of the disconnect between your statements and your tennis ability. Start anew with no embellishments, no references to your blog, your tv show, etc. Let's just follow tennis player Jake.
4) Please start the new thread off right. Take a day to objectively reset and plan out some realistic goals you're going to describe as you go along. Start the thread with one long objective post describing where you are now, your most recent results, what you're currently doing to improve, and your short term (1-6 months) and long term (1 year out goals). Try to keep it realistic - your long term goal could be to win a game in a 3.5 tournament, play both USTA 3.0 and 3.5 Adult league in the spring (report how it goes). Your short term could be to play in and attempt to win some 3.0 tournament. This doesn't "limit" your potential as you can keep a rolling update of your long-term and short-term goals. If and when you achieve them, update your goals accordingly. There's no "limit" but you keep yourself restrained and people engaged. Your tennis ability is 2.5/3.0 (really there's not much difference between the 2.5s and lower 3.0s as there as so few 2.5s that many people just start at 3.0 - the senior leagues only go from 3.0 up - the worst player I played in USTA was a 3.0 and I've played against 10-15 2.5s. Don't underestimate the interest that people may have following an overweight (give descriptives, 6'3, 207 pounds), not very athletic guy, who can't run 1.5 miles, has horrible tennis skills, etc. Guess what? A lot of people are in that boat, at least with one combination of those attributes. They can relate to your painfully slow progress and to see both the successes and struggles.

jakemcclain32
09-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Well, this will be my last post on this thread. I'll do just that.

I still have videos out the wazoo, so I'll probably be showing those. Played a rec match last night that I won, and I think I showed improvements too. I will probably start things off that way.

fleabitten
09-10-2011, 06:09 AM
Hi guys. If you have difficulty finding enough partners in this thread, I'll just throw out that our North Atlanta Hackers (http://tennisopolis.com/group/northatlantahackers) group has over 170 partners, and a fun and free atmosphere. You are welcome to join in.

We also have a general Atlanta Tennis Partners (http://tennisopolis.com/group/theatlantaaces) group with over 300 partners. Here's the list of players (http://tennisopolis.com/group/theatlantaaces/user/list).

Let me know if you need any help finding partners. Have fun out there!

Datacipher
09-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Jake, a few suggestions:
1) Let's not take over this thread unless you're meeting up with the Atlanta folks to hit about
2) You have a fresh start to begin a new thread that could be interesting and constructive and relate to the USTA league/tournaments in terms of rankings etc.
3) The delusion/mental illness comments started because of the disconnect between your statements and your tennis ability. Start anew with no embellishments, no references to your blog, your tv show, etc. Let's just follow tennis player Jake.

I believe I was the first person to use the term "mental illness" in that thread. Again, I explained my reasoning, and just as you say above, there was indeed a reason. In fact, I actually opined there was either illness OR it was a scam. Now...given the depth and time spent on this, and other endeavors, I believe the poster is being sincere.

Unfortunately I believe now more than ever that there is a mental disorder. Indeed, as I and another poster said in the thread, there is no way to be sure, an evaluation needs to be done by a credible professional in person.

Again, I don't believe anybody should be encouraging you or tearing you apart. This really isn't about tennis at all.

Jake, I think most thoughtful people will realize the post you say was false (and who knows, perhaps parts were) certainly rang true, far more than your posts. I've looked at your acting reels.....

Part of some disorders IS a "thick skin", but for what it's worth...think about the reaction you've gotten here, and in every other avenue of your life....there is a reason why people react to you this way, and perhaps that's something worth exploring.

YOU have actually mentioned some awareness that you need to change your modus operandi.....for you....I'd suggest that change needs to start within you...not a change in your tennis, or a change in your blog.

Dave_D
10-12-2011, 10:32 AM
So this thread took a turn for the worst apparently. Anyway, back on topic, I'm a 3.5 player in Suwanee that would like to find someone to hit with that is either a high 3.5 or a 4.0 level player. Anyone available or interested?

hescobal
10-12-2011, 10:36 AM
So this thread took a turn for the worst apparently. Anyway, back on topic, I'm a 3.5 player in Suwanee that would like to find someone to hit with that is either a high 3.5 or a 4.0 level player. Anyone available or interested?
I hit a lot aroumd duluth if thats not too far for you. I hit at wp jones park off pleasant hill. The guys I hit with range from 3.5 to 4.5

Dave_D
10-12-2011, 10:42 AM
I hit a lot aroumd duluth if thats not too far for you. I hit at wp jones park off pleasant hill. The guys I hit with range from 3.5 to 4.5

No that's not far at all as I commute every day to Norcross, so it's on the way home. When do you get together?

JackB1
10-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Always looking for 3.5-4.0's to hit with in the N.Atlanta/S. Marietta area. I have courts if needed.

hescobal
10-12-2011, 10:49 AM

most of the time, we'll just send out a text out to each other and see if we can get some doubles together. We use to play a lot more in the summer, 3 or 4 times a week, but now with the cooler weather and other obligations, about 1 or 2 times

At the moment, thursday, friday, or saturday are options

hescobal
11-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Anyone planning to hit or play this Tuesday (11/22)? From Suwanee to midtown, via I-85, I might be able to make it to if anyone has courts.

j00dypoo
11-20-2011, 11:14 PM
i'm always looking to hit more. I'm more around 5.5 but that should be irrelevant for practice. I hit with a buddy from time to time that's 4.0 in the peachtree corners or alpharetta area. Both of our neighborhoods have courts.

obtn
11-21-2011, 06:13 AM
i'm always looking to hit more. I'm more around 5.5 but that should be irrelevant for practice. I hit with a buddy from time to time that's 4.0 in the peachtree corners or alpharetta area. Both of our neighborhoods have courts.

Hey j00dy, I'd love to hit with you if you have the time... I'm a 4.0, maybe low 4.5 on a good day. I live in Marietta, hit me up via PM on here if you are ever looking for a hit!

hescobal
11-21-2011, 06:34 AM

Sounds good. If you want to set something up for tomorrow, you can send me an email so we can discuss details about when and where.

j00dypoo
11-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Yeah sure to both of the above. Marietta and Norcross are a bit separated, especially with 285 traffic. So weekday hitting will be a problem.

Hescobal, you said you normally play at wp jones park. I checked gmaps and it seems they have lights. My neighborhood also has lights (ok lights not the best) if you would want to do that too.

hescobal
11-22-2011, 03:44 AM
Yeah sure to both of the above. Marietta and Norcross are a bit separated, especially with 285 traffic. So weekday hitting will be a problem.

Hescobal, you said you normally play at wp jones park. I checked gmaps and it seems they have lights. My neighborhood also has lights (ok lights not the best) if you would want to do that too.

Playing in your home courts would be fine. I'm not picky:)

obtn
11-22-2011, 04:27 AM

Yea, I agree, although I work in Buckhead during the week so I'm a little closer if I went straight from work. There are plenty of places we could meet up in between though!

hescobal
11-22-2011, 04:32 AM
Yea, I agree, although I work in Buckhead during the week so I'm a little closer if I went straight from work. There are plenty of places we could meet up in between though!

If you wanted to hit after work, I think frankie allen park would work. I could meet you there, 4 free public courts

JackB1
11-22-2011, 06:14 AM

Hey obtn, I have courts off of 75 and Windy Hill Rd if you any to hit any weekday after work (after 6 pm). I am a high 3.5 player. You can email me thru my profile.

Also, Hank, if you ever want to hit somewhere between us let me know. I often hit with some guys at Hammond Park right off 285. Is that far for you? Are you still near Stone Mt?

Jack

j00dypoo
11-22-2011, 06:59 AM
If you wanted to hit after work, I think frankie allen park would work. I could meet you there, 4 free public courts

wow frankie allen park came out of no where. i never knew that place existed. it's just straight chillin'.

JackB1
03-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Anyone want to hit at Piedmont Park tomorrow anytime 10am-12pm. I am going to be hanging out with my ALTA team but would love someone to hit or play with.

Jack (3.5)

soyelmocano
08-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Anyone want to hit some tomorrow (08/17) in the Alpharetta/Peachtree Corners area?
I can meet later in the afternoon somewhere.
The court at my place is not good. They just "resurfaced" it. Someone forgot to tell them to take away the lumps and fix the underlying cracks/etc before putting lipstick on it.

Not sure of my level, but I have flashes of both 7.0 and 1.0 at times. I guess I was decent at one time, but I rarely play now. I always like hitting with people better than me, but I don't mind hitting with people not as good as me either.

JackB1
08-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Always looking for new people to hit with in the East Cobb area.

I Am 3.5 in one league and 4.0 in another.

available weeknights after 6 and weekend mornings

soyelmocano
08-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Jack, send me a message to my username @gmail.com with your phone number or I can reply to your message with my number and we will setup a place and time for tomorrow.

Thanks

JackB1
08-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Jack, send me a message to my username @gmail.com with your phone number or I can reply to your message with my number and we will setup a place and time for tomorrow.

Thanks

sorry but I cannot play tomorrow. Next week would be better.

soyelmocano
08-17-2012, 03:20 AM
No worries Jack. We'll try again for the coming week.

JackB1
10-12-2012, 06:44 PM
anyone available to play this weekend? I just had my ALTA match cancelled and am looking to play. Sat or Sun...anytime.

email me at jackbandel@gmail.com

Paullaconte1
10-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Hi,

I came across this thread by chance. Tennis Tonic is quite good to find partners, organize leagues etc.

I use it mainly for tennis news, but it has a very good community to organize game sand tournaments. (I think it is the main activity of it)

There is a page for atlanta.
http://atlanta.tennistonic.com/

Hope this will help you.

Cheers

spot
11-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Anyone interested in some Mixed Doubles tonight at Dekalb Tennis Center? I run the Round Robin there and tonight we are doing a fundraiser for an employee who has been diagnosed with small cell liver cancer. We have over 50 people signed up and just need a couple more people to even up numbers. There is a suggested donation of $20 and that includes beer, snacks, water, balls, and court fees. Its a fun group of people and we have all levels from AA1 to beginners. The tennis goes from 7:00 to 9:15 and we always have a group going out afterward for drinks. Very fun group of people- not a typical round robin crowd at all.

Anyway- if you would like more information or would like to sign up you can go to www.dekalbtennis.com

JackB1
11-21-2012, 12:43 PM
anyone interested in hitting or playing some sets? I have lots of time off between now and Tues. I am a 3.5-4.0 male and have courts near Windy Hill Rd and 75.

jackbandel@gmail.com

hescobal
12-01-2012, 08:39 PM
anyone have time to hit in the morning 12/2?

willing to travel some as its my only off day. email hescobal@gmail.com

asekaran
02-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Anyone up for hitting sometime this week or whenever? email: anand.sekaran@hotmail.com

I'm around the Marietta/Kennesaw area. I don't mind driving a bit.

JackB1
02-08-2013, 05:35 PM
anyone available for play tomorrow (Sat)?
I am near Windy Hill Rd and I-75 in Marietta/N. Atlanta

3.5-4.0 please

jackbandel@gmail.com

omega4
02-09-2013, 04:17 AM
anyone available for play tomorrow (Sat)?
I am near Windy Hill Rd and I-75 in Marietta/N. Atlanta

3.5-4.0 please

jackbandel@gmail.com

I'm a 2.5-3.0 (used to be 4.0 in high school 20 yrs ago) and just moved to Atlanta (between Buckhead and Brookhaven).

I'll hit you up for a friendly rally / sets once I get up to your standards or you can feel free to email me if you feel like "stooping down" to my level!

I also wouldn't mind going up against someone with a Donnay Pro One 97 like yourself!

Thanks!

omega4
02-20-2013, 07:36 AM
Anyone up for a friendly, fun game of tennis (or just rallying) this Sunday for an hour or two? Weather should be decent.

I'm near the Blackburn Tennis Courts in north Atlanta (between Buckhead and Brookhaven; a couple of miles south of the Perimeter Mall).

I've been practicing a bit (with the complimentary thumb blister to show for it) and think I'm about a 3.0 to 3.5 now, but my serve still needs some work.

I don't care what level you are so long as you enjoy meeting new people and have a great attitude when playing tennis.

Send me a PM if you're up for it! Thanks!