PDA

View Full Version : Need more Power

philosoraptor
08-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Hi guys,
Today I broke my strings on both of my racquets.Anyways, I used to be a focus hex believer.But recently, I've switched to a shorter stroke(both forehand and backhand)to get more consistency on my shots.The problem with this is that I'm not getting as much power as I did before, to resolve that I was wondering if I should hybrid my focus hex(17l). And If so, then what multi should i do it with? The place where I get my racquets restrung charges 70 dollars for natty gut and I can't afford that:oops: so yeah...they have a basic selection of multis (x-one biphase, nxt, xcel)and other strings.I am also willing to switch to another polyester as well, as soon as my last 3 sets of focus hex are out, so please don't hesitate on suggesting string set ups.Thanks a lot guys!

ClubHoUno
08-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Try X-One 17 mains and Focus Hex crosses and see how much power that gives you.

If too much, then reverse the hybrid.

Virtua Tennis
08-22-2010, 06:46 PM
If you need power try working out eating your wheaties and stepping into your shots.

philosoraptor
08-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Try X-One 17 mains and Focus Hex crosses and see how much power that gives you.

If too much, then reverse the hybrid.
I'm used to the really mute feeling of poly, would that change a LOT with X-one in the mains? I am no stranger to hybrids tho, used to play with an alu rough in the mains at 50 and nxt max in the crosses at 53, thanks!

If you need power try working out eating your wheaties and stepping into your shots.
haha, I do need to start working out :) but this helps me out a little bit too

Tennis_Crazed
08-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Hi guys,
Today I broke my strings on both of my racquets.Anyways, I used to be a focus hex believer.But recently, I've switched to a shorter stroke(both forehand and backhand)to get more consistency on my shots.The problem with this is that I'm not getting as much power as I did before, to resolve that I was wondering if I should hybrid my focus hex(17l). And If so, then what multi should i do it with? The place where I get my racquets restrung charges 70 dollars for natty gut and I can't afford that:oops: so yeah...they have a basic selection of multis (x-one biphase, nxt, xcel)and other strings.I am also willing to switch to another polyester as well, as soon as my last 3 sets of focus hex are out, so please don't hesitate on suggesting string set ups.Thanks a lot guys!

Might be time to invest in a stringer and string up some of that natty gut on your own!!!!

philosoraptor
08-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Might be time to invest in a stringer and string up some of that natty gut on your own!!!!
I've been begging my parents to buy me a stringer, hopefully I can convince them to get me a klippermate or a gamma by october :) finally reached 100 posts cheers!

Mig1NC
08-23-2010, 11:10 AM
I haven't tried MSV yet, but the guy who posted the review of Genesis Hexonic 17L said it is like MSV focus hex but trading more power, tension maintenance, and feel for less control and spin.

But yeah. $70 for gut is ********. If you can get your parents to buy a stringer that is the way to go.

WilsonPlayer101
08-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Hi guys,

Gosen Powermaster, very powerful string. Control due to the unique shape. Try that.

Checkout the Gosen page at TW. Choose from Powermaster I or II or Compositemaster I or II -

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/GosenString.html

HitItHarder
08-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Honestly, dropping the tension 5 to 10 lbs is a good place to start. That will get you some extra power without completely changing the feel of the string bed you are use to having.

Alternatively, try a hybrid with a synthetic gut first to see if you like the feel. A couple people I string for liked Hex mains and Gosen OG Micro crosses. While it is a shaped string, the durability isn't terrible. Plus it should be a cheap set up since Hex and Gosen OG Micro are both very inexpensive strings (meaning in a hybrid you will have about $5 in string costs per string job).

Parker512
08-23-2010, 11:52 AM
i only charge $5 then the string cost.

Doubles
08-23-2010, 11:53 AM
i only charge $5 then the string cost.

Cool story bro...

Doubles
08-23-2010, 11:54 AM
I have to agree with Club Ho Uno. Try X-1 in the mains, and see how you like it. If it's too powerful, or not durable enough, then switch the strings around...

philosoraptor
08-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Honestly, dropping the tension 5 to 10 lbs is a good place to start. That will get you some extra power without completely changing the feel of the string bed you are use to having.

Alternatively, try a hybrid with a synthetic gut first to see if you like the feel. A couple people I string for liked Hex mains and Gosen OG Micro crosses. While it is a shaped string, the durability isn't terrible. Plus it should be a cheap set up since Hex and Gosen OG Micro are both very inexpensive strings (meaning in a hybrid you will have about $5 in string costs per string job).
I'm getting my racquet strung in a couple of hours and I'm debating over whether I want x-one or just to drop the tension a little bit more.I break syn guts in an hour flat so thats totally out of the option here, hopefully x-one will last up a little bit more:) thanks for the help!

philosoraptor
08-23-2010, 12:21 PM
I have to agree with Club Ho Uno. Try X-1 in the mains, and see how you like it. If it's too powerful, or not durable enough, then switch the strings around...
I'm reallly really debating on switching to x-one in the mains, is it durable? I've never broken poly before today, but I have broken syn guts within 30 mins to 2 hours of play..:-? this is puzzling

JT_2eighty
08-23-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm reallly really debating on switching to x-one in the mains, is it durable? I've never broken poly before today, but I have broken syn guts within 30 mins to 2 hours of play..:-? this is puzzling

don't do it. Putting X-1 mains with HEX crosses is asking for breakage. If anything, put the X1 in the cross, or, as you suggest, start with lowering the tension first on your full bed of hex.

The multi mains with a HEX cross is a recipie for the quickest string breakage possible. But, switching that with HEX mains will last at least 2-4 times longer. (I will assume you understand how the mains moving back and forth allow the crosses to "saw" into the mains, so a hex cross with a multi main = string death supreme; while the x-1 as crosses will not saw into your hex mains in any similar way = more durable). [[not to mention that a HEX string should be in the mains for you to even benefit from the HEX shape]]

Then of course, the playability between both options will be different, but now we have a whole can of worms of options... so to start, drop your tension about 5 lbs on a full bed.

good luck

philosoraptor
08-23-2010, 02:18 PM
don't do it. Putting X-1 mains with HEX crosses is asking for breakage. If anything, put the X1 in the cross, or, as you suggest, start with lowering the tension first on your full bed of hex.

The multi mains with a HEX cross is a recipie for the quickest string breakage possible. But, switching that with HEX mains will last at least 2-4 times longer. (I will assume you understand how the mains moving back and forth allow the crosses to "saw" into the mains, so a hex cross with a multi main = string death supreme; while the x-1 as crosses will not saw into your hex mains in any similar way = more durable). [[not to mention that a HEX string should be in the mains for you to even benefit from the HEX shape]]

Then of course, the playability between both options will be different, but now we have a whole can of worms of options... so to start, drop your tension about 5 lbs on a full bed.

good luck
Since I'm stringing two racquets, I'm going for a hybrid on one with hex@53 in the mains and X-one@57 in the crosses, and the other is going to be a full bed @ 55 hopefully I can decide if the full beds enough for me, thanks!

philosoraptor
08-23-2010, 02:35 PM
I haven't tried MSV yet, but the guy who posted the review of Genesis Hexonic 17L said it is like MSV focus hex but trading more power, tension maintenance, and feel for less control and spin.

But yeah. $70 for gut is ********. If you can get your parents to buy a stringer that is the way to go.
Yeah I'm desperately trying to get a stringing machine here worst part is its 70 bucks for a hybrid:evil: thats just overpriced and I'll buy a couple of sets of hexonic when I run out of hex

HitItHarder
08-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Since I'm stringing two racquets, I'm going for a hybrid on one with hex@53 in the mains and X-one@57 in the crosses, and the other is going to be a full bed @ 55 hopefully I can decide if the full beds enough for me, thanks!

When I was playing a full bed of MSV Hex, I ended up dropping the tension all the way down to 50 to get the power I wanted, and the string seemed to play better at lower tensions. So that may solve the problem for you right there.

But then I found WC Turbotwist and I have been playing with that ever since in a full bed. Seemed to have better power and close to the same spin potential with longer playability. You may want to look into it once you run out of Hex. Hex seemed to lose its playability pretty quick. Of course, it costs more then Hex so there are trade offs with everything.

Good luck.

Parker512
08-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Yeah I'm desperately trying to get a stringing machine here worst part is its 70 bucks for a hybrid:evil: thats just overpriced and I'll buy a couple of sets of hexonic when I run out of hex

$70 bucks i charge $10 then the string i charge for a full string cost for both because i cant use the rest of the string package.

Mig1NC
08-23-2010, 05:48 PM
As a reference my stringer also charges $10 plus the cost of the string and doesn't care if you bring your own or buy from him.

Parker512
08-23-2010, 05:56 PM
As a reference my stringer also charges $10 plus the cost of the string and doesn't care if you bring your own or buy from him.

I will require clients to buy my string or pay an extra fee because i mark up most my strings by dollar. I can do this because nobody strings for a half an hour away from me.

ClubHoUno
08-23-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm used to the really mute feeling of poly, would that change a LOT with X-one in the mains? I am no stranger to hybrids tho, used to play with an alu rough in the mains at 50 and nxt max in the crosses at 53, thanks!

X-One mains: Softer multi like feel with good touch and lots of power, but still some control from the Focus crosses.

Focus mains: Stiffer plastic poly controlled feel, but with some added power from the X-One crosses.

Best thing is to try both hybrids, give them a chance and then decide.

Also, see how fast you break the X-One mains/Focus crosses hybrid.
Go for at least 17 gauge in X-one, maybe even 16 gauge if you break the 17 gauge too fast.

Experiment a bit with tension and placement of the X-One in the hybrid if you can afford it, it will pay for itself in the long run :)

philosoraptor
08-23-2010, 07:21 PM
X-One mains: Softer multi like feel with good touch and lots of power, but still some control from the Focus crosses.

Focus mains: Stiffer plastic poly controlled feel, but with some added power from the X-One crosses.

Best thing is to try both hybrids, give them a chance and then decide.

Also, see how fast you break the X-One mains/Focus crosses hybrid.
Go for at least 17 gauge in X-one, maybe even 16 gauge if you break the 17 gauge too fast.

Experiment a bit with tension and placement of the X-One in the hybrid if you can afford it, it will pay for itself in the long run :)
I wish I had 3 or 4 racquets right now:twisted: should've gotten another set before tw stopped selling k pro tours but yeah, I got rained out today but I will try both of the set ups as soon as I can go to the club

philosoraptor
08-23-2010, 07:25 PM
I will require clients to buy my string or pay an extra fee because i mark up most my strings by dollar. I can do this because nobody strings for a half an hour away from me.
you must get a lot of business then, you're lucky you dont have any competition. My club charges 17 dollars for stringing plus the cost of string.They overcharge luxilon like crazy its 40 bucks for for a full set.It costs 70 dollars for a champions choice hybrid :evil: its not cool