PDA

View Full Version : Need soft control string rec., can't do poly anymore, help!

keithfival
08-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Hi Folks,

I've been using Wilson Polylast for many years (Ti Radical and LM Rad MP@ 57-58 lbs). Lasts forever, never moves and I can always hit out and go for lines with no fear, never flies on me.

I recently got a used Microgel Rad MP which had Wilson Sensation (supposedly at 55 lbs, but not sure, it made a higher pitch than my other rackets if that means anything). I wanted to weep and kiss the racket everyday after 3 hours because instead of my arm hurting I actually wanted to play MORE! It felt like a velvet pillow. BUT, even after 3 weeks I could not hit out on a forehand without fear of it flying on me, and often going 5 feet long. (I was very happy with everything else, feel, touch, comfort, just could not hit out).

So, I replaced them with my Polylast at 57lbs and viola, I was back to being aggressive on every forehand and painting lines, but after one day my wrist and elbow suddenly hurt and now after about 5 days they are absolutely killing me.

So, I am looking for a string that has great control like the poly but VERY soft on the arm.

A) Should I just try the Sensation or something similar at a higher tension? (I've never liked the feeling of high tension but maybe the microgel is soft enough to counteract?.)

B) A soft co-poly? (Although I am a little afraid of any poly at the moment)

C) Any other good control string that is not trampoline-y but very soft on the arm and reasonably durable?

(I am a 4.5 baseliner with two-hand backhand, aggressive groundies, moderate topspin on both (not too dramatic), and a flat first serve.)

Help!!! I have league matches and I'm afraid to touch my racket!!

THANK YOU!!!

(sorry for the long post, just trying to give all the relevant data)

keithfival
08-23-2010, 07:33 AM
Oh...something fairly inexpensive would be great too!

lefty10spro
08-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Prince Synthetic Multi (16 or 17g) is an economical and crisp multi that you can string tightly for control and NO ARM PAIN! You'll generate plenty of spin assuming you have the technique. Stay AWAY from ALL polys if you are having arm pain.

High Roller
08-23-2010, 08:06 AM
While not having the spin of a poly, Head RIP Control or Isospeed Control Classic are both soft/arm friendly and low lowered. Both are polyolefin "ribbon" construction. FWIW, Isospeed makes RIP Control for Head.

Rob1
08-23-2010, 08:14 AM
People are telling me no polys, but you could do a soft poly.
You can do just NXT or Biboface at a lower tension say 53 then.
You could just do Gut though expensive.
You could do Revolution or Topsin Cyber Blue with NXT at low tension.
Stay away from Babolat and Luxilon for hard on arms here.

Kevo
08-23-2010, 10:08 AM
I really liked Yonex 850 Pro. It was nice and soft with better than average control. I also found as it wore in control got better and feel got better. It felt and played awesome right before it broke.

fuzz nation
08-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Sounds like you need to try some synthetic gut.

It's softer than poly, but less elastic that multifiber, plus it's not too expensive. Since I string my own gear, I don't mind thinner gauge syn. gut, even if it can be less durable. I prefer the crisp feel, moderate softness, and perceived bite on the ball that I get with my 17 gauge stuff. You might be fine with 16 or even 15 gauge string as long as it's not especially stiff.

Don't be fooled by the "durability" of the poly. Even though it doesn't break too quickly, any resilience in that string is completely gone after only 12-14 hours of use. Then your wrist and elbow are taking even more of a pounding.

HitItHarder
08-23-2010, 10:39 AM
While not having the spin of a poly, Head RIP Control or Isospeed Control Classic are both soft/arm friendly and low lowered. Both are polyolefin "ribbon" construction. FWIW, Isospeed makes RIP Control for Head.

If you are looking for a comfortable low powered string, I would also say to give Rip Control a try. It is probably the lowest powered non-poly string I have ever used. I personally felt that compared to some of the newer co-polys, it has less power when strung at the same tension.

Plus, it is inexpensive at less than $5 a set and it is arm friendly. As High Roller says, the only trade off is that you some of the easy spin access you have with a poly.

JT_2eighty
08-23-2010, 11:33 AM

+2

The Head RIP series are great control strings, and soft/arm friendly as well. This includes Head Intellitour and Intellistring, in addition to RIP control. They are quite durable for a multi as well. Low power, high control... only downside is spin, but the 17g works well to help there too.

keithfival
08-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Ok, Head RIP Control sounds like a good place to start!

Thanks everyone!!

NLBwell
08-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Well, RIP Control is the only string I cut out of a racket purely because I hated playing with it, so not everyone likes it.

XFactorer
08-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Try Topspin Concept Pure. It's a really soft, co-poly. I loooooove it.

Hidious
08-23-2010, 11:15 PM
Well, RIP Control is the only string I cut out of a racket purely because I hated playing with it, so not everyone likes it.
Still, Rip Control fits the OP's description almost perfectly. But i do agree that it's not for everyone, truly a one of a kind string.

big bang
08-24-2010, 01:32 AM
Rip control could be a good choice, or maybe try the good old prince syn gut. If you go for a multi I would suggest wilson reaction at high tension, its really crisp and hold tension very well!. Have you tried a hybrid of a soft co-poly and syn-gut/multi?

keithfival
08-24-2010, 04:28 AM
I haven't tried a hybrid yet. I'll try the RIP first and see if I can be happy with no poly at all. :)

If I like Polylast at 57 lbs. anyone care to wager a guess as to what tension would provide a comparable power/control level with the RIP Control?

(Microgel Rad MP 18x20)

Power Player
08-24-2010, 05:27 AM
You strung way too high with your poly. Go to a soft poly and string under 45#s. It sounds insane, but it is like night and day on your arm.

HitItHarder
08-24-2010, 05:34 AM
I haven't tried a hybrid yet. I'll try the RIP first and see if I can be happy with no poly at all. :)

If I like Polylast at 57 lbs. anyone care to wager a guess as to what tension would provide a comparable power/control level with the RIP Control?

(Microgel Rad MP 18x20)

I believe that 57lbs is mid-tension for your racquet. So why don't you string it up at the same thing. That will give you a good comparision whith the only change being your string type. As I said, RIP is a low powered string - so I would be careful stringing it high for additional control.

I strung it up recently in a Rad Pro to give it a whirl since I heard it was comfortable and low powered. I use all poly as well and I am always on the lookout for something that can give a little more comfort while still giving me the poly characteristics I like. I strung it up at mid-tension (57lbs) and was suprised that it felt lower powered than the normal WC Turbotwist full poly bed I normally use at 54lbs.

Honestly, I wish I strung it a little lower because I really have to take a huge cut to generate the same pace and spin I was getting out of the Turbotwist. However, the comfort, control, and feel of the string bed all seem better.

That is why I think it fits your description. After a play test you will have a better idea if this is for you, or if you want to look into some of the "softer" co-polys (and soft is a relative term when you talk about any poly because it isn't close to the comfort of a multi or something like RIP).

In the end, I decided to go back to my old full poly setup because of the spin I lost. I will be interested to see what you think.

keithfival
08-25-2010, 06:20 AM
The RIP should arrive tomorrow and another microgel. I'll try the RIP at 57lbs and if no likey i'll try poly at 40 something. I will report back!

Thanks for all suggestions!

Power Player
08-25-2010, 06:53 AM
Yep..hey let me add..try a softer poly..not a super stiff one like Luxilon.

Devilito
08-25-2010, 06:59 AM
You strung way too high with your poly. Go to a soft poly and string under 45#s. It sounds insane, but it is like night and day on your arm.

Agree %100. I bash the ball pretty good and am currently stringing TF Black Code at 44lbs. I donít know how some people string poly that high and complain about too much power. For me, poly at 50-55 was killing my elbow and felt underpowered.

Power Player
08-25-2010, 07:04 AM
Nice, another guy who gets it :). I was posting in the low tension thread about how I seriously am starting to think it is unfair to get this much spin and power and still keep it on the court.

Do you still hit with the 320 V02? I am going to try the low tensions with an apdgt.

TheRed
08-25-2010, 07:08 AM

(Microgel Rad MP 18x20)

Try RIP Control at 59. As for recommendations for a soft poly, trust me, don't do it. Go for a soft poly, love it for another 10-12 weeks, then realize experience pain all over again. RIP Control, no matter what other people say, is the ONLY string that's soft and as low powered as a poly. There is a fair amount of initial tension loss, then it stabilizes.

Power Player
08-25-2010, 07:17 AM
You just told the guy to string RIP control at 59 pounds, and I told him to string a soft poly at 45 or under. You then said that RIP control is as "soft and low powered" as a poly. So by that logic, wouldnt it make more sense to string a poly at a lower tension?

Just sayin.

ClubHoUno
08-25-2010, 07:22 AM
1. Before dumping full poly totally, try the advice given from the other poster: GO LOW IN TENSION WITH FULL POLY !

And when I say low, I mean 35 lbs low in full bed of poly. If too soft, then try 40 lbs for full poly.

Give this low tension full poly a good month or so before you make up your mind, whether you like it or not.
Low tension full poly does not seem to go dead as fast as high tension strung poly, so you can play with low tension strung poly for 8-10 hours just fine in my view before you need to cut it out.

Find a soft copoly and string it at low tension - for instance full bed of Tecnifibre Blackcode 17, Signum Pro Hyperion 1.24, Volkl Cyclone 17 or Weisscannon Silverstring 1.20.
They are all soft copolys.

You could also try Blackcode mains and Silverstring crosses - I like this poly hybrid, because I get the spin and plastic muted feel of Blackcode mains combined with the soft crispy response from the Silverstring in the crosses. My favorite poly poly hybrid.

2. If low poly is not your cup of tea, then dump full poly and consider a hybrid with poly mains and a multi in the crosses (nat gut cross is over your budget, I guess).
A good budget multi for crosses could be Tecnifibre Multifeel or Weisscannon Explosiv.
If you will spend a little more, then go for one of my 3 favorite Prime multis in the crosses - X-One 17, NRG2 or Xcel Power.
A multi in the crosses will soften up the stringbed and give you power and feel, but with the poly in the mains, you will still get the stiff poly feel and the control of the poly.

You could also consider the new soft poly from Tecnifibre - X-code as your crosss string.

It's all about testing :)

TheRed
08-25-2010, 07:23 AM
You just told the guy to string RIP control at 59 pounds, and I told him to string a soft poly at 45 or under. You then said that RIP control is as "soft and low powered" as a poly. So by that logic, wouldnt it make more sense to string a poly at a lower tension?

Just sayin.

No, read carefully, I only said RIP control is "as low powered as a poly." I didn't say it was as soft as a poly. soft polys still kill your arm when it dies, and it eventually will while the string is still in there.

Devilito
08-25-2010, 07:28 AM
Nice, another guy who gets it :). I was posting in the low tension thread about how I seriously am starting to think it is unfair to get this much spin and power and still keep it on the court.

Do you still hit with the 320 V02? I am going to try the low tensions with an apdgt.

I sold the 320 V02 last year and didnít play again until just a couple of weeks ago. Right now Iím actually trying out the Dunlop 4D 100 and love it. Thatís the racquet Iím stringing at 44lbs. Mind you itís a very light, small, thin and underpowered frame to begin with but even at 50 lbs you could feel how stiff the strings are. Honestly I feel more control with a poly at a lower tension. Itís not just about the power. For me, at higher tensions poly feel dead like hitting with a plank of wood. The racquet makes funny noises, my arm hurts and I get no feedback from the strings. Even at 50lbs the Black Code felt too tight. At 44lbs the Poly really starts to respond more to my strokes and provides great feedback. Also, Iím the type of player that was stringing synthetic gut at 65-70lbs in my PS 85 back in the day so itís not like Iíve always been hooked on low tensions. Last year was the first time Iíve ever tried poly and after a lot of testing this is what Iíve finally concluded.

JT_2eighty
08-25-2010, 07:56 AM

Just sayin.

I've experimented with polys at 45lbs, 36lbs, and even 28lbs.

I've also used RIP at 52lbs, 55lbs, and 61lbs. (personally prefer RIP Intellitour over RIP control, but both are similarly constructed).

The RIP at 61lbs was more arm-friendly than even the poly at 28lbs, especially in the long run.

Obviously the playability on both is drastically different, but since the OP doesn't seem to be a "spin master", so to speak, the RIP should be fine. Especially considering OP has a flat serve and only moderate topspin 4.5, actually your game description is similar to mine. Low tension poly is great but only so for extreme spin players; us flatter, moderate spin players are better off using non-poly setups. FWIW, try gut mains and RIP crosses... pure heaven.

CHOcobo
08-25-2010, 08:06 AM
polylon sp and polylon comfort 17's are one of the softest polys. im trying those out on a full bed after i try out the maxim touch, because im looking for something durable/soft too so i don't have to string often.

Power Player
08-25-2010, 09:50 AM
I sold the 320 V02 last year and didnít play again until just a couple of weeks ago. Right now Iím actually trying out the Dunlop 4D 100 and love it. Thatís the racquet Iím stringing at 44lbs. Mind you itís a very light, small, thin and underpowered frame to begin with but even at 50 lbs you could feel how stiff the strings are. Honestly I feel more control with a poly at a lower tension. Itís not just about the power. For me, at higher tensions poly feel dead like hitting with a plank of wood. The racquet makes funny noises, my arm hurts and I get no feedback from the strings. Even at 50lbs the Black Code felt too tight. At 44lbs the Poly really starts to respond more to my strokes and provides great feedback. Also, Iím the type of player that was stringing synthetic gut at 65-70lbs in my PS 85 back in the day so itís not like Iíve always been hooked on low tensions. Last year was the first time Iíve ever tried poly and after a lot of testing this is what Iíve finally concluded.

That's funny,I am the same age as you and I did the same thing back in the day. 65 pounds Syn gut in a Prince Pro 90. I went to dunlop also in January, and I was fine until I hurt my wrist doing BMX. So I switched to low tensions and went to lighter racquets. The low tensions was very easy to adjust to for me since I hit with spin.

No, read carefully, I only said RIP control is "as low powered as a poly." I didn't say it was as soft as a poly. soft polys still kill your arm when it dies, and it eventually will while the string is still in there.

You are right, I misread. But you can get a lot of life out of a soft poly..roughly 10-12 hours before death. That is longer for me then a lot of syn gut, which usually breaks after 6-8 hours. He should try both..it is just a dramatic change in tension...if you hit real flat the high tensions can work, but they can still get your joints even with soft string.

tlm
08-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Rip control has good control+comfort, but it is not good for spin+is dead feeling.I prefer prince premier lt 16 gauge good control, spin+comfort.

keithfival
08-26-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm not worried about spin (I never thought the Polylast provided any spin at all anyway) nor dead feel (you simply can not get deader than Polylast!) So, RIP sounds like it may work for me. And it is a little hard to imagine blasting a flat forehand up the line strung at 40 lbs, but I will indeed try it if the RIP doesn't work.

I am a little mortified to just now learn about the hazards of poly and about leaving poly on too long, I've had the same Polylast strings in some of my rackets for OVER A YEAR!! They never move, break, or change much to my perception so I just never changed them. Just like a wooden paddle as someone said, which somehow works for me. So, it's a little bittersweet, my arm hurts and I can't wait to feel that softness again but at the same time, I played presumably my last match with Polylast at 57lbs. last night and it is simply PERFECTION for me. The only reason I hit a ball out is being out of position, period. The ball goes exactly as fast as I hit it, no faster, no slower. Sigh.

Well, the stuff just arrived, I guess I'll hit once with the syn. gut strings that came on the new Microgel just for the sake of data collection before trying the RIP at either 57 or 59.

Continued thanks for all the info!!!

Icedorb217
08-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Try Genesis Spin X if your up for a poly. I use it in my MG Radical MP and works wonders. The tension maintenance is great and it can generate spin.

keithfival
08-31-2010, 11:47 AM
Ok, I strung up RIP Control at 59 lbs and played twice. My first impression is that it's too tight. It feels much tighter than the poly at 57 lbs does, has a good bit less pop and very little dwell time or pocketing unless I swing as hard as I can. I even took off the overgrip and dampener to try to get a little more feel. So far I haven't been able to get into it at all. Normally if I miss, I miss a little long, rarely hitting into the net and almost never hitting lower than the top of the net. With this setup many of my routine shots were in the bottom of the net.

Also, I actually wouldn't say it has been any more comfortable on my arm than the poly, it has maybe a softer impact but is actually more "twisty" on my wrist which sometimes hurts even on my serve if the ball isn't struck dead center- something I've never experienced before.

All these things seem to point to lowering the tension right? 55lbs? Lower? Anyone have experience with this string at lower tensions?

Before I cut them off I'm going to try today with a little lead tape added, maybe giving a heftier feel?

If that doesn't help I will try them at lower tension before moving on since I don't feel like I'm experiencing anything the string has to offer at this tension. But, it looks like I may have to try one of these low tension poly hybrid setups after all.

JT_2eighty
08-31-2010, 12:14 PM
Try it at 52 lbs. The string retains its control properties in the low 50s and even high 40s, and this will help your trajectory issue (balls falling short into net).

Or, try the other "RIP" string, Intellitour 17g, but then string the "RIP feel" in the mains instead of the cross as packaged, and the RIP tour in the crosses. It is a decent setup, again in the 50-55 range.

If all else fails, try the low poly setup, but that will take some definite adjusting, especially on your flat shots. However, it could pay off in the long run as it has for some.

keithfival
09-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Restrung RIP Control at 52 lbs and played once. Much more to my liking at this tension. The power/control ratio is pretty close to my poly setup but now with a significantly softer feel on the arm. I do seem to have to come over the ball more with this more 'traditional' feel than with the poly but it was not a huge adjustment and I could pretty much play my game.

-Power was available if I step in and yet no unwanted "jump" on a medium swing
-Good control, very predictable response

Would like better:
-Feels a little dull, wouldn't mind perhaps a bit more grip on the ball and a bit livelier but without sacrificing control.

Any rec's for that??

By the way, I am very pleasantly intrigued by the lower tension and may even try a little lower. Now curious about poly at 48-50!

Thanks!