PDA

View Full Version : Arm Friendly Strings

Rob1
08-23-2010, 08:08 AM
I got arm problems usin Luxilon Ace and Bablotat RPM Blast
on my Wilson K Factor.
I had good success using Revolution with NXT.
I heard not to use any polyster strings at all.
I heard use just a mutli-filament like NXt or Biboface.
Any suggestions?

Ronaldo
08-23-2010, 08:14 AM
Use Natural Gut and fugghetaboutTE

Jonny S&V
08-23-2010, 08:21 AM
I got arm problems usin Luxilon Ace and Bablotat RPM Blast
on my Wilson K Factor.
I had good success using Revolution with NXT.
I heard not to use any polyster strings at all.
Any suggestions?

The best arm-friendly strings are anything from natural gut (the gold standard) to synthetic gut. To get rid of all the other factors, I would make sure your technique is correct in all aspects so that you know that you're not getting the tennis elbow from bad technique. Once you've factored that out, it's just a matter of figuring out what your elbow can handle. Which K-Factor do you use? If you want to keep using a poly, try a hybrid of a soft co-poly and synthetic gut, like Cyberblue and OG Micro and see how that works for you. If your elbow acts up, I wouldn't use poly or I would drop the tension.

WilsonPlayer101
08-23-2010, 10:17 AM
Use Natural Gut and fugghetaboutTE

I totally agree with Rolando, Natural Gut is the answer to the arm issues and it also plays much better than anything else.

fuzz nation
08-23-2010, 10:38 AM
If you have arm problems along the lines of wrist or elbow soreness, tendonitis, etc., don't play another day with poly in your racquet. The same goes for kevlar. No resilience. Co-polys are only a small degree softer than other polys at first, but you've already got issues, so these aren't an option if you want to keep playing and also get healthy.

Any poly, even the softer stuff, loses any elasticity after only several hours of use - around 12-14 hours. Even though it takes longer to physically break, that string should be swapped at the end of its service life or it will be even tougher on the arm before it snaps.

A multifiber or some natural gut ought to be helpful, but you'd also be smart to start icing your sore spots, maybe massaging them, too. You'd also be better off over the long term if you start a strengthening regimen if you don't have one now.

JT_2eighty
08-23-2010, 11:57 AM
If you don't want to splurge for natural gut (which really is worth the money if you are not a string breaker, as it will last for months), then try Head's Intellitour. I used it when I had arm pains, and while a nice soft multi, it also maintains pinpoint control, as it is not "trampoliney" at all. To me, it was the most "gut-like" multi i've used.

coloskier
08-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Most anything that does not have the word "poly" associated with it.

Virtua Tennis
08-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Try Gamma Asterik Tour it's multifilament string with a polyfiber wrapped around the string.

I can't use poly at all so I use Asterisk Tour and mix NXT tour really nice blend lots of power and spin.

ManuGinobili
08-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Remember when you use poly, know when it is dead and cut it out. Playing with dead polys is a major way to get TE

Valjean
08-26-2010, 04:02 AM
I got arm problems.... I heard not to use any polyster strings at all.
Any suggestions?
"Polyester - a very durable string designed for string breakers-not much power or feel. Polyester strings became very popular with ATP players, because it provides added durability, doesn't move and 'deadens' the stringbed. While this isn't a desirable feature for most recreational players, it is for many of todays ATP and (some) WTA players. They're bigger, stronger, swing faster and use more powerful racquets than players from the past. Often used in hybrids, combining polyester mains with softer synthetic or natural gut mains. This offers the durability benefits of polyester, while reducing the stiff, dead feel. Also easier to string than 100% polyester. Not recommended for beginning players or players with arm injuries."

Concerning further use when healed up: ATP Tour pros, and others too, feel they need to cut poly strings out every 2-3 days; can you afford that too...

Assuming you don't break you strings that often, what's your game like and what is your spending limit?

Cfidave
08-26-2010, 05:06 AM
Other then natural gut, the most arm friendly string out there is Isospeed professional classic. Very soft, and very good playability. Stiffness rating around 140.