PDA

View Full Version : TW employee strings racquet in 6:47 - On Video! Can you beat it?

TW Staff
08-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Think you're a fast stringer? Can you beat our best? Jarryd, a TW employee and stringing virtuoso, strings a racquet in 6 minutes 47 seconds. Yes, 6:47! A new TW record and we'd like to think, a world record. Can you beat us?! Upload your videos to http://www.ibeatyou.com/entry/6789ed/fastest-racquet-stringing

Prize to the fastest stringer. Competition ends Sept 6. Good luck!

To just watch the video, go to this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy8D72FqBV8

Jason, TW

MomentumGT
08-23-2010, 11:22 AM
That's pretty darn quick. Do you guys pay him double for that? LOL.

-Jon

Bud
08-23-2010, 11:32 AM
That's pretty darn quick. Do you guys pay him double for that? LOL.

-Jon

Naw, they just fire him if he can't keep up that pace :-D

Parker512
08-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Wow thats all i can say.

HitItHarder
08-23-2010, 12:03 PM
OK - I'm impressed.

Irvin
08-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Rayn needs to weld that crank handle on. He lost a lot of time picking up his crank. Don't you hate it when you crank falls off?

Nice video,

Irvin

Seng
08-23-2010, 12:59 PM
WOW! and I thought 25 minutes was pretty quick. This is just insane.

nyc
08-23-2010, 01:07 PM
C'mon Drak, we know you can do it!

andtapes
08-23-2010, 01:21 PM
What string was that?

What is the racquet pattern?

How much pounds/kilos are setting the machine?

hescobal
08-23-2010, 01:25 PM
they said it was a prince pog, so the string pattern is 14x18

LttlElvis
08-23-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm surprised both of them mount the crank handle on the opposite side of the usual. I guess it must help with the speed.

TW Staff
08-23-2010, 01:30 PM
What string was that?

What is the racquet pattern?

How much pounds/kilos are setting the machine?

They used Prince Original Graphite racquets ( 14 x 18 ), strung with Prince Syn Gut w/Duraflex 17 @ 55lbs.

Jason, TW

Virtua Tennis
08-23-2010, 01:32 PM
let's see them do that with poly on a prestige :twisted:

drakulie
08-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Great Vid guys!!!

Thanks for sharing.

rich s
08-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Hopefully the stringers weren't listening to Polka/Accordian music the whole time like we had to. :P

andtapes
08-23-2010, 01:49 PM
They used Prince Original Graphite racquets ( 14 x 18 ), strung with Prince Syn Gut w/Duraflex 17 @ 55lbs.

Jason, TW

no comments

they should use a 18 X 20 co-poly at least

OrangeOne
08-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Impressive... but a better camera angle would have been nice - something a little higher and angled down to enable us to see the stringbed, that weaving looked fairly amazing....

Macro80
08-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Ive got a POG so will have a go.

Were the guys double pulling???

Is a crank inherently faster than an electric or vice versa?

struggle
08-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Ive got a POG so will have a go.

Were the guys double pulling???

Is a crank inherently faster than an electric or vice versa?

i'd say yes, their cranking is much faster. BUT wouldn't really want a string job like that, still VERY COOL to watch them slam 'em!

ihearit1st
08-23-2010, 02:55 PM
what's the point? its not a string job i'd want to play with. so where do you draw the line? i hope those weren't customer frames. he's burning the grommets with the pulls on the mains. the contest seems to be "who can give the crappiest, fast string job."

Irvin
08-23-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm surprised both of them mount the crank handle on the opposite side of the usual. I guess it must help with the speed.

Not quite. The brake release is on the left side of the tension head and I seen Ryan using the brake release without holding the crank to release the string. Must be low tension too as the crank handle was not flying back. Anyway the crank being on the right side means you won't get slapped by the crank when you hit the brake release.

Irvin

TW Staff
08-23-2010, 03:08 PM
what's the point? its not a string job i'd want to play with. so where do you draw the line? i hope those weren't customer frames. he's burning the grommets with the pulls on the mains. the contest seems to be "who can give the crappiest, fast string job."

I totally understand your concern. The point of these "fastest stringing" competitions is just to have fun and some friendly competition. We DO NOT string like that for our customer and demo frames.

Jason, TW

TheRebelofPrince
08-23-2010, 03:28 PM
hint to all, tape urself using a junior racket :P

federalprassi
08-23-2010, 05:18 PM
lol that was great vid, though I think most racquets are not 14x18.

BounceHitBounceHit
08-23-2010, 05:29 PM
How did the frame play? :) BHBH

athiker
08-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Impressive... but a better camera angle would have been nice - something a little higher and angled down to enable us to see the stringbed, that weaving looked fairly amazing....

Agree on the camera angle...enjoyed the video...before skipping ahead...but would've been nice to see from a little above so you could see the weaving and the progress being made.

Good idea for a contest, not a prayer for me of course, but still a good fun idea.

aussie
08-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Takes me 6:47 just to cut the strings out and mount the frame!

Macro80
08-24-2010, 12:48 AM
i'd say yes, their cranking is much faster. BUT wouldn't really want a string job like that, still VERY COOL to watch them slam 'em!

Haha of course not, i wouldnt play with it. Its a bit like running the 100m, sometimes you just like to know how fast you can go.

jmverdugo
08-24-2010, 02:59 AM
I will not do it right now, but once I get my crank machine I will try it!! I can do the mains in 7 min with my dw so I have a long way to go before reaching that mark. Awesome video at some points the hands of the guys look like were on fast forward!

High Roller
08-24-2010, 03:32 AM
Maybe 6:47 explains why TW consistently under-shoots string-bed bed tension. On the other hand, they are consistent with their inconsistency. Have two or three racquets strung, then check the results.

Dover
08-24-2010, 06:22 AM
I totally understand your concern. The point of these "fastest stringing" competitions is just to have fun and some friendly competition. We DO NOT string like that for our customer and demo frames.

Jason, TW

Jason, loved the video, great competition! I'd suggest using a higher angled camera next time so we can see the progression through the strings. Maybe an individual camera for each racquet. But again, great video.

drakulie
08-24-2010, 06:25 AM
The guy on the right mounted his frame upside down. :)

lcstringer
08-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Anyone can do that, especially a crapy stringing job. Talk about burning the strings. I know this is for fun, but any stringing job I do is always about the quality. Try Rafa's stick, rpm 15L, on court and let me know how fast you can do it...just for fun...and it better not come back cause is not the same as the others.

BobFL
08-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Anyone can do that, especially a crapy stringing job. Talk about burning the strings. I know this is for fun, but any stringing job I do is always about the quality. Try Rafa's stick, rpm 15L, on court and let me know how fast you can do it...just for fun...and it better not come back cause is not the same as the others.

Not anyone. I cannot do it.

Btw, what kind of "quality" are you talking about? The only difference I see is monetary by nature. Some bozos charge $30 and my friend charges $8. I see no difference in quality. Well, some people do want to believe in "quality" because they probably want to justify that huge difference in price and feel "special"...

Rabbit
08-25-2010, 06:14 PM
To those who are complaining or criticizing or saying that it was not professional or whatever, did you not listen to the disclaimer at the front of the video?

THIS WAS FOR FUN. IT WAS A RACE. THE RACQUETS WERE NOT CUSTOMER FRAMES OR DEMOS.

Geeze...get a life.

I enjoyed the video and the accompanying zydeco. And no, I can't string that fast. :)

samster
08-25-2010, 06:22 PM
drakulie can string under 5 minutes.

samster
08-25-2010, 06:24 PM
I can string this racket under 1 minute. Watch out, TW!

http://i36.tinypic.com/30af4vl.jpg

Irvin
08-26-2010, 02:39 AM

{Image deleted}

Really? I don't think you could! As a matter of fact I would be willing to make a bet on it. There are only 14 strings in that racket and it took both of those stringers about 3 minutes to string the mains. Now you would have to string the mains and crosses in your racket. I would like just see you try to mount that racket on your machine. Do you think you could clamp the string with the mounts on each end? Hope you do not have a 6 point machine.

Irvin

Bud
08-26-2010, 03:52 AM
Really? I don't think you could! As a matter of fact I would be willing to make a bet on it. There are only 14 strings in that racket and it took both of those stringers about 3 minutes to string the mains. Now you would have to string the mains and crosses in your racket. I would like just see you try to mount that racket on your machine. Do you think you could clamp the string with the mounts on each end? Hope you do not have a 6 point machine.

Irvin

Who says you have to use a machine? I think the God racquets are strung by hand. Seems there would be plenty of SBS, based on the tiny size of the head.

Irvin
08-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Who says you have to use a machine? I think the God racquets are strung by hand. Seems there would be plenty of SBS, based on the tiny size of the head.

Holy cow, I did not know God played tennis.

Irvin

GarrettReid
08-27-2010, 02:00 PM

http://i36.tinypic.com/30af4vl.jpg

What kind of head size is that bad boy? I hope you're using natural gut.

Bud
08-28-2010, 08:21 AM
What kind of head size is that bad boy? I hope you're using natural gut.

Approximately 12 sq. in. The string at appears to be some sort of synthetic gut/multi

http://www.photostringer.com/racquets_prince_god.htm

GarrettReid
08-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Approximately 12 sq. in. The string at appears to be some sort of synthetic gut/multi

http://www.photostringer.com/racquets_prince_god.htm

How's the control on that? Whats the flex rating? :p

dangitaaa
08-28-2010, 02:30 PM
i want one of those LOL

Irvin
08-28-2010, 03:05 PM
I did not know you could play with these rackets

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTEyNTEzMzAw.html

Irvin

Pure Babs
08-28-2010, 06:10 PM
^^ Jason gave a disclaimer. They dont actually string racquets like that.. it was just for fun.

Parker512
08-28-2010, 06:28 PM
I want one! I want one! I want one! I want one! Like kids in a candy shop.

stringwalla
08-30-2010, 02:48 PM
notice that Jarryd pulls the last main and 1st cross with one pull. I don't think the USRSA would qualify that as "proper".

Tisk-tisk Jarryd. I guess I can double-pull all of my mains then to set a record-:-?

Oh wait, Ryan does it too.

Maybe that's the reason for the bad camera angle. So they can cheat.

Not a hater, just want to see integrity in a "record", even if it does only add 5 seconds-

dgdawg
08-30-2010, 07:27 PM
Think you're a fast stringer? Can you beat our best? Jarryd, a TW employee and stringing virtuoso, strings a racquet in 6 minutes 47 seconds. Yes, 6:47! A new TW record and we'd like to think, a world record. Can you beat us?! Upload your videos to http://www.ibeatyou.com/entry/6789ed/fastest-racquet-stringing

Prize to the fastest stringer. Competition ends Sept 6. Good luck!

To just watch the video, go to this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy8D72FqBV8

Jason, TW

I hate to be a stick in the mud, AND, I didn't read any other posts but, I wouldn't wanna beat 7 min. What kind of job would you produce?
If I paid someone to string my frame and they told me they did it in 7 min, I'd give it back to them and ask for it to be restrung.

Fedace
08-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Is Speed > important than Quality of string job ? P1 claims that their string job has Constant tension from top to bottom. Can anyone else do this ? or does P1 have special technique ?

jmverdugo
08-31-2010, 03:36 AM
I can't beleive this .... your are not supposed to try this in a client's racquet!!!!!!! it is for fun !!!!!! - I need some english lessons, is self-righteous the proper word to describe some of these people?

uk_skippy
08-31-2010, 07:35 AM
I'd like to try this if I can find a POG down my club.

Interestingly they're using the Neos1000. Having had a discussion on how electronic machines should be faster I can see using this machine is faster if looking to set a record. The advantage of using a single glide bar on the crosses helps instead of having 2 swivel clamps.

As Jason said in the 1st post, this could be a world record, however, unless there was a set specified criteria set down i.e. machine, rqt, string, tension I don't think it could be construed as a record. In Wilson's competition, the stringers had to mount the rqt, and open the string package before stringing it. I also think that the excess string should be cut off.

Regards

Paul

Irvin
08-31-2010, 09:55 AM
^^ I have used both a crank and electronic tensioners. The crank is a lot faster. You need to wait until the electronic tensioner pulls the set tension. With the crank it is done much faster. I have also used glidebar and swivel clamps and the glidebar is again much faster.

When I walk into a big box store and see the NEOS I think, "Why do they have that machine?"

When I walk into a big box store and I see someone stringing one an electronic machine and they clamp the string as quickly as possible I think, "Why string with an electronic if speed is all you care about."

Irvin

stringwalla
09-03-2010, 09:55 AM
this is from Greg Raven at the USRSA regarding a double pull. Which is clearly seen in the video on the last M and first X.

"The double pull is out in all but specific situations where it is called for in the Digest. It is not legal in competition, nor when taking your CS or MRT exam."

So tack at least 5-8 seconds onto that time when you establish a qualifying record TW-