PDA

View Full Version : how to reduce power with natural gut?

Tar Heel Tennis
08-23-2010, 12:22 PM
looking to reduce the power in a Head LM Radical OS strung with natural gut. what suggestions do you have for me?

ClubHoUno
08-23-2010, 12:31 PM
looking to reduce the power in a Head LM Radical OS strung with natural gut. what suggestions do you have for me?

1. Higher tension - try 65 lbs
2. Hybrid with a CoPoly in the crosses for better control
3. Try a thicker gauge of nat gut, for me a thicker gauge seems less lively and provides somewhat less power......

Tar Heel Tennis
08-23-2010, 12:36 PM
thanks for the suggestion!

already using 16g gut - won't go thicker (my stringer will shoot me on sight!)

a higher tension may be a real possibility

any copoly suggestions? not really interested in better control, unless it mutes the power of the natty gut

Macro80
08-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Try BB ALU or Tech Blackcode in the crosses. I find this gives an incredibly crisp, spin friendly bed.

meowmix
08-23-2010, 02:00 PM
If you have gut in there now...

1. get used to it. Gut is powerful. After a week or two, you'll find that you'll have adjusted to the power.

2. stick in some Elastacross or other string savers in your racket. That'll bump up tension a little bit, save you some wear on your strings, increase string life, and decrease powerful a little.

federalprassi
08-23-2010, 05:07 PM
hybrid should help.

Tar Heel Tennis
08-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Try BB ALU or Tech Blackcode in the crosses. I find this gives an incredibly crisp, spin friendly bed.

No poly strings will be considered. looking for an arm-friendly hybrid with nat. gut

"If you have gut in there now...

1. get used to it. Gut is powerful. After a week or two, you'll find that you'll have adjusted to the power.

2. stick in some Elastacross or other string savers in your racket. That'll bump up tension a little bit, save you some wear on your strings, increase string life, and decrease powerful a little. "

this is for my girlfriend. she isn't happy with her current setup (new racket, same nat. gut I had in her old racket) - wants less power.

Falloutjr
08-23-2010, 05:16 PM
String the racquet tighter? If you're not going to chance racquets and not going to chance strings, you can change the tension or change your form, and changing form is not something I'd recommend.

scotus
08-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Gut mains, Rip Control cross.

Less power, no polys.

JT_2eighty
08-24-2010, 07:10 AM
Gut mains, Rip Control cross.

Less power, no polys.

+10 Agreed! (it's the perfect blend of power, control, spin, feel, comfort... everything else i've tried doesn't have this full package)

exactly what she's looking for, I'd say

vamos2050
08-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Put a syn. gut in the crosses.

Steve Huff
08-27-2010, 01:59 PM
ClubHo, you took the suggestions right out of my keyboards. Very good advice.