PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference between headlight and head heavy?

akj27
05-28-2005, 02:25 PM
I was gonna get a head heavy racquet, but someone advised me not to, anyone know why? all they said is that its bad for you in the long run

gregraven
05-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Because of the physics of using a tennis racquet, a head heavy racquet is more likely to cause arm problems than one that is head light. See http://www.racquetresearch.com for the details.

erik-the-red
05-28-2005, 03:50 PM
It's bad for you in the long run because a head-heavy racquet causes shoulder and elbow problems much more easily than a head-light racquet.

The name is quite intuitive. Where is most of the weight in the racquet situated? The head or the handle?

Think about it. What's easier to swing? A two-foot pole with a two-pound weight at the end of the pole opposite to your hand? Or...maybe the same pole with two pounds stuck in the area where your hand is? Obviously, the second pole is easier to swing.

It's the same thing with head-heavy versus head-light.

Now, there are benefits to head-heavy racquets. Though harder to maneuver, they can be more powerful. That's why so many tweeners and game improvement racquets are head-heavy.

gregraven
05-28-2005, 09:29 PM
I should have mentioned that if you have a swing speed of zero, even a super head-heavy racquet isn't going to damage your arm. However, as your swing speed increases, the distribution of mass in the racquet interacts more with the biomechanics of your swing. Get the wrong combination of swing speed, racquet mass distribution, and biomechanics, and you're setting yourself up for arm problems.