PDA

View Full Version : Taming Liquidmetal Radical OS

nighttenis
08-23-2010, 02:08 PM
After some playing I realized the slices are ok, sometimes right on the line, sometimes more in, very rarely out.

But when hitting the forehands and one-handed backhands, that`s a different story since i keep hitting the doubles zone or even way more out. I like more to paint lines than just hitting hard from the baseline to see who can resist more.

Unfortunately the distance between me and the external lines i paint is far shorter than the one traveling from me to the enemy baseline :D

Now I`m using the strings the racquet had and no lead tape [ didn`t found in my country or maybe i didn`t know were to search ]

Q1 : Any string i can use that would help me tame it a little ? not very much, just enought to get the lines.

Q2 : Are there any other materials that can be used other than lead tape ? [ex isolating tape ]

meowmix
08-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Any material that adds weight will do the trick. Duct tape, coins (taped to the inside of the throat or in the handle), head protection tape, etc.

As for strings... just get it restrung with basic synthetic gut towards the higher end of Head's recommended range. It sounds like you've had the racket for a while yet haven't gotten it restrung. If you're breaking strings, you should still get it restrung every 2-3 months if you're not using natural gut.

ybot
08-23-2010, 07:37 PM
I would also add a heavy leather grip.

nighttenis
08-23-2010, 09:57 PM
As for strings... just get it restrung with basic synthetic gut towards the higher end of Head's recommended range. It sounds like you've had the racket for a while yet haven't gotten it restrung. If you're breaking strings, you should still get it restrung every 2-3 months if you're not using natural gut.

I had no problem so far about breaking and i`m using the racquet around 3-4 hours a day.

Heads recomandations were :

Half Set C Rocket [ mains ] and Half Set Synthetic Gut PPS [cross]
or
Half Set Sonic Pro and Half Set Synthetic Gut PPS

is any of those combinations good ? Any sugestions ?
I want some names so i know what to buy.

meowmix
08-24-2010, 04:04 AM
You don't necessarily have to follow Head's recommendations when it comes to strings. Both of those hybrids are pretty good, although I would lean more towards the half set sonic pro and half set head pps since you're looking for more control. However, since sonic pro is a polyester, I would string it around the lower end of Head's recommended tension range, around 57 pounds.

nighttenis
08-24-2010, 05:30 AM
thanks meowmix

i`m back to lead tape reading then, looking for a way to increase control.

goran_ace
08-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Please don't take offense at this. Don't worry so much about taming the racket. Tame the player. Trying to paint the lines is a losing strategy.

nighttenis
08-25-2010, 05:22 AM
don`t worry, no offense taken :)

NLBwell
08-25-2010, 07:31 AM
Restring the racket - with age the strings loosen up and you get flyers off the stringbed - especially with an oversize racket. You can string at high tensions with syngut or multis - the original tension recommendation for the first Prince oversize racket was 72lbs. If you go with poly strings you need to go lower - at most somewhere near the middle of the tension range to save your arm - and depend on the stiffness of the poly (and maybe the additional spin) to control the ball instead of high tension. The poly will loosen up quicker than the syngut, so after a while the ball will start flying again.

nighttenis
08-25-2010, 07:49 AM
Restring the racket - with age the strings loosen up and you get flyers off the stringbed - especially with an oversize racket. You can string at high tensions with syngut or multis - the original tension recommendation for the first Prince oversize racket was 72lbs. If you go with poly strings you need to go lower - at most somewhere near the middle of the tension range to save your arm - and depend on the stiffness of the poly (and maybe the additional spin) to control the ball instead of high tension. The poly will loosen up quicker than the syngut, so after a while the ball will start flying again.

whit the original Head Master 16L the racquet had when i bought it ?

p.s. btw : do string needs to be perfectly paralel, after playing the difference of length from one secrion of the row to the other can vary, i saw pro`s on TV straigthen them with their hands. But is it pure artistic/concentrated oriented or strings must allways be perfect straigth on the racquet ?

GPB
08-25-2010, 08:56 AM
whit the original Head Master 16L the racquet had when i bought it?Nah, not necessarily with that original string. You can restring with anything of your (or your stringer's) choice. I'd look at an inexpensive synthetic gut, or natural gut if your budget allows.

do string needs to be perfectly paralel, after playing the difference of length from one secrion of the row to the other can vary, i saw pro`s on TV straigthen them with their hands. But is it pure artistic/concentrated oriented or strings must allways be perfect straigth on the racquet ?
Strings move with each shot you hit. Some strings, like polys, slide back into place, but most strings will move and look wavy (especially after they get old). Like you said, even the pros straighten their strings.

Do you have to? No. The difference between hitting with straight strings and perfect strings is so small that it doesn't really matter.

Do you want to? Maybe it bugs you to have them out of line. Maybe it's a good way for you to relax and focus between points.

Steve Huff
08-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Put Sonic Pro in the mains at around 2-3# less than what you normally string at. Put the PPS in the crosses at 5# more than the mains. You'll feel a ton of difference. Putting a stiffer string in the mains allows you to put a more flexible one in the crosses at a higher tension. This keeps the racket from "rounding" out at the top, which Head Radicals are prone to.

nighttenis
09-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Put Sonic Pro in the mains at around 2-3# less than what you normally string at. Put the PPS in the crosses at 5# more than the mains. You'll feel a ton of difference. Putting a stiffer string in the mains allows you to put a more flexible one in the crosses at a higher tension. This keeps the racket from "rounding" out at the top, which Head Radicals are prone to.

i definetly going to try this.

P.s. not sure how i made it sound in this topic, but i`m open for any sugestion and i have the posibility to buy any kind of string not necesary Head strings. [ especialy if those strings are better and cheaper than Head one`s ]