PDA

View Full Version : SCAMMER ALERT! taylorhorton4

Kot_Bigemot
08-23-2010, 04:18 PM
This person emails me yesterday asking to send pictures of Volkl Power Bridge 9 i have for sale. So, i send him pictures and then he emails me back giving me some BS reason and says that he does not want it. SO, i say - FINE, no problems.
But then later in a day i check "For sale" section and find add about PB9 same condition with same grip size....and by the person who just asked me for pictures. I got very curios and sent him an email. First from my own email asking for pictures but, then i asked my wife to send him an email from her account and ask for pictures. Guess what she received? The pictures i sent him this morning. And here is the text of email:

Add to ContactsTo:d*******@yahoo.com

6 Files View Slideshow Download All
001.JPG (1106KB); 002.JPG (989KB); 003.JPG (972KB); 004.JPG (674KB); 005.JPG (477KB); 006.JPG (499KB)

hi! yes i do take paypal. I have sent some pictures attached. Although you should know that there is another person who asked first about the racquet so he gets first priority but if that falls through i'll be sure to notify you. Also after you get this email could you please make me an offer? Thanks

Now, what do you say to that? Some may say that i am paranoid but, i think i have every single reason to believe he is a scammer.
Here is the link to his add:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=344651

mad dog1
08-23-2010, 04:29 PM
i'm sure you're not paranoid.

this has got a sleazy, sneaky vibe to it. and guess what? taylorhorton4 is a 16 year old kid who attends brunswick high.

Kot_Bigemot
08-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Yeah, i figured he is a kid.
Also, he just sent me new pictures of some PB9...i am sure by accident. Now, new pictures show PB9 on a hard wood floor but, do not show much of frame's condition.

meowmix
08-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Could have sworn I've heard/seen the name Taylor Horton somewhere...

mad dog1
08-23-2010, 04:55 PM
^^ same here, but i did a search but came up w/ nada.

Fearsome Forehand
08-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Two possibilities:

1) Taylor Horton has the racket he advertised but was too lazy to take his own pics so he stole Kot's pics. (Sleazy.)

2) Taylor Horton doesn't have the racket and is a total scammer. (Even more sleazy.)

I had this happen to me once. I had some racket for sale here, some kid emailed me, I sent him pics, we couldn't agree on price and nothing happened. About a week later, I saw the pics I sent him on Craigslist.

Again, this just goes to show that pics don't prove much. They could be pics of a racket the seller doesn't even have or pics of a different racket. I have seen sellers on fee bay use other people's pics and don't even note in their ad that the pic is representative not actual. This is not uncommon.

It all boils down to being very careful who you buy from.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=344651

Kot_Bigemot
08-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Two possibilities:

1) Taylor Horton has the racket he advertised but was too lazy to take his own pics so he stole Kot's pics. (Sleazy.)

2) Taylor Horton doesn't have the racket and is a total scammer. (Even more sleazy.)

I had this happen to me once. I had some racket for sale here, some kid emailed me, I sent him pics, we couldn't agree on price and nothing happened. About a week later, I saw the pics I sent him on Craiglist.

Again, this just goes to show that pics don't prove much. They could be pics of a racket the seller doesn't even have or pics of a different racket. I have seen seller's on fee bay use other people's pics and don't even note in their ad that the pic is representative not actual. This is not uncommon.

It all boils down to being very careful who you buy from.
I agree with everything you said. Although, if he is a scammer, now you gave him an option to say - "Oh, i am a poor kid who has no camera so, i decided to ask someone for pictures of the same frame". You know what i mean?
But also, i did a search on this guy and he has no refs, nothing. And he is a member since 2009. Feels like someone been saving this account to use for something...
EDIT:
Oh, one more thing. He provided AOL email address. Not very smart because you must register real name and address or a cc to get AOL account.

mad dog1
08-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Again, this just goes to show that pics don't prove much. They could be pics of a racket the seller doesn't even have or pics of a different racket.

some forums require that the pic includes your screen name with date you're snapping the photo written on a piece of paper placed next to the item to prove that the item you're selling is actually in your possession. this also makes it much harder to use someone else's pics.

Kot_Bigemot
08-23-2010, 05:12 PM
some forums require that the pic includes your screen name with date you're snapping the photo written on a piece of paper placed next to the item. this makes it much harder to use someone else's pics.
Yes, i am going to do it from now on. I would hate to see someone getting scammed with my pictures.

Kot_Bigemot
08-23-2010, 05:48 PM
https://mail.google.com/mail/images/star_off_sm_2.gif (https://mail.google.com/mail/h/148f22cgmb98b/?redir=?v%3Dc%26d%3Du%26n%3Dv%26th%3D12aa1912ee85f c19&a=st&at=AF6bupMIwlbvc6TsmhA69qAr3_2EJD17UQ&m=12aa18eea8435f61#m_12aa18eea8435f61) taylorhorton4@aol.com (https://mail.google.com/mail/h/148f22cgmb98b/?v=c&d=u&n=1r&th=12aa1912ee85fc19#m_12aa18eea8435f61)

<taylorhorton4@aol.com> Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 8:45 PM To: shtiblet@gmail.com Reply (https://mail.google.com/mail/h/148f22cgmb98b/?v=b&rm=12aa18eea8435f61&pv=cv&th=12aa1912ee85fc19&cs=r) | Reply to all (https://mail.google.com/mail/h/148f22cgmb98b/?v=b&rm=12aa18eea8435f61&pv=cv&th=12aa1912ee85fc19&cs=ra) | Forward (https://mail.google.com/mail/h/148f22cgmb98b/?v=b&rm=12aa18eea8435f61&pv=cv&th=12aa1912ee85fc19&cs=f) | Print (https://mail.google.com/mail/h/148f22cgmb98b/?v=pt&msg=12aa18eea8435f61) | Delete (https://mail.google.com/mail/h/148f22cgmb98b/?redir=?v%3Dc%26d%3Du%26n%3Dv%26th%3D12aa1912ee85f c19&a=dm&at=AF6bupMIwlbvc6TsmhA69qAr3_2EJD17UQ&m=12aa18eea8435f61) | Show original (https://mail.google.com/mail/h/148f22cgmb98b/?v=om&th=12aa18eea8435f61)
It was just sold to a woman for $100. Are you the seller my little brother is thinking about buying a pb9 from? there were some emails already on here from you to him i believe; because we share an family email, and he refused to buy one of my three off off me saying i charge too much. Anyways, good luck!

This is the reply i got from him just now. Now that he saw my post, he is trying to get "creative". What a d....bag.

taylorhorton4
08-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Are you joking, I'm not a scammer. I'm only 16 and posted a thread about the pb9 because i wanted to know if I would get any offers to purchase the racquet before i buy because I'm trying to buy and sell and make a little bit of money. Wow this is a giant misunderstanding. Plus I have to use the parents pay pay and everything and you really think they would be okay with me scamming.. I think NOT

Kot_Bigemot
08-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Are you joking, I'm not a scammer. I'm only 16 and posted a thread about the pb9 because i wanted to know if I would get any offers to purchase the racquet before i buy because I'm trying to buy and sell and make a little bit of money. Wow this is a giant misunderstanding. Plus I have to use the parents pay pay and everything and you really think they would be okay with me scamming.. I think NOT
And that is why you used my pictures to sell your racquet. Right?

taylorhorton4
08-23-2010, 06:33 PM
yeah because that is the racquet i may be purchasing so obviously therfore i would like to show other people the exact pictures of the racquet i will have and then if i get any good offers i could decide to buy the racquet or not. I'm just trying to make some money.

thejuice
08-23-2010, 06:59 PM
yeah because that is the racquet i may be purchasing so obviously therfore i would like to show other people the exact pictures of the racquet i will have and then if i get any good offers i could decide to buy the racquet or not. I'm just trying to make some money.

What makes you think it is alright to post a thread to sell a racquet that you don't even own yet? What if you didn't buy the racquet because it was sold to someone else YET you got an offer for the stick you are supposed to be selling? Would you be honest and tell the person trying to buy the racquet from you that you don't actually have one? VERY SHADY!!!

Fearsome Forehand
08-23-2010, 07:02 PM

Giving the offending party the benefit of the doubt (rolls eyes), making money is great but don't try to sell something that you don't have. There's your trouble. (Go look up unethical in the dictionary. You said you had the racket in your ad. This is called lying.)

If your intent was not to look scammy, you failed miserably. Have the racket first, post pics of the actual racket that show flaws and then sell it. You are putting the cart before the horse.

Apologize profusely to Kot, and ask the mod to delete the for sale ad you posted for the Volkl you don't even have. Then shut up because the more you say (write) the worse you look.

The reply you sent to Kot (pretending to be your brother) makes you look like a 16 year old idiot. Just be truthful, apologize and then shut up.

Fearsome Forehand
08-23-2010, 07:10 PM
And that is why you used my pictures to sell your racquet. Right?

Hey Kot, if I can sell your rackets for more than you are asking, would you please email me pics of the rackets first?

This whole actually acquiring the rackets thing prior to selling them is way too much hassle for me. Taylor has opened my eyes.

Kot, can you drop ship for me, too. Much appreciated. :)

Fearsome Forehand
08-23-2010, 07:14 PM
some forums require that the pic includes your screen name with date you're snapping the photo written on a piece of paper placed next to the item to prove that the item you're selling is actually in your possession. this also makes it much harder to use someone else's pics.

From now on, I am going to make the rackets I am selling hold up a copy of the current daily newspaper. :)

taylorhorton4
08-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Okay good advice how do you ask the mod to delete post

Kot_Bigemot
08-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Hey Kot, if I can sell your rackets for more than you are asking, would you please email me pics of the rackets first?

This whole actually acquiring the rackets thing prior to selling them is way too much hassle for me. Taylor has opened my eyes.

Kot, can you drop ship for me, too. Much appreciated. :)
Oh sure, no problems. You want any overgrips/strings with that? :twisted:
This whole thing sounds so idiotic that i could actually believe it.

Fearsome Forehand
08-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Okay good advice how do you ask the mod to delete post

The only mod at present is Dire Desire. You can look him up by user name using the advance search function and then contact him through the TW system or you can contact the admins to do the same thing.

And, if you don't have the other racket you are selling delete that post too.

We were all 16 once and most of us were idiots. Just admit what you were trying to do, apologize to the universe and learn from this mistake.

Fearsome Forehand
08-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Oh sure, no problems. You want any overgrips/strings with that? :twisted:
This whole thing sounds so idiotic that i could actually believe it.

Yeah, thanks man, you're the best. I'll take the new strings and overgrips.

And do you think that you could run out and buy a better camera cuz the resolution of the pics you sent me wasn't so hot which makes it more difficult to sell the rackets I don't have yet. :)

Kot_Bigemot
08-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Yeah, thanks man, you're the best. I'll take the new strings and overgrips.

And do you think that you could run out and buy a better camera cuz the resolution of the pics you sent me wasn't so hot which makes it more difficult to sell the rackets I don't have yet. :)
I will think of the way to personalize my pictures from now on. Perhaps a watermark or something.

taylorhorton4
08-23-2010, 07:39 PM
alright thanks fearsome forehand the other racquet is mine and again i'm not scamming, that was never an intention sorry it came across that way just wanted to make a little extra cash. Anyways apologies to Kot for this

Kot_Bigemot
08-23-2010, 07:51 PM
alright thanks fearsome forehand the other racquet is mine and again i'm not scamming, that was never an intention sorry it came across that way just wanted to make a little extra cash. Anyways apologies to Kot for this
Since no harm is done, i will just let it go. Main thing is - no one lost anything.

meowmix
08-23-2010, 08:20 PM
From now on, I am going to make the rackets I am selling hold up a copy of the current daily newspaper. :)

Too easy and not secure enough. Now, if you were do put your racquets next to a DNA analysis of your own DNA, we might be onto something.:twisted:

LanEvo
08-23-2010, 08:45 PM
For taylor or any others who are looking to flip racquets to make a little money. I will let you know, you will not make any money, and even if you do, it won't be worth the effort. When you buy and sell, especially int he line of racquets, the shipping kills the most, on avg. shippingis around $10-15 per racquet. It's not worth it.