PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Classic Gut vs. Klip Legend

dParis
08-23-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm thinking about sticking my toe in the gut pool with either Pac Class or Klip Legend as they are two of the more "economical" natural guts but - comments have been all over the place for these two strings. "Great power/low (or no) power, durable/will break if you look at it the wrong way, crisp and lively/dead and muted, great feel/no touch whatsoever...

I'd like to see a focused discussion about the characteristics of these two strings.

Valjean
08-24-2010, 03:46 AM
Pacific Classic has better touch and power than Legend, which is valued mainly for its (relative) durability. People who play at net and with a full bed will tend to want Pacific Classic, whereas baseline players who want to hybrid gut with a stiffer string tend toward Legend, in this gut niche. This is about where the USRSA playtesters came out several years ago when the USRSA did a comparison test of six natural guts.

There is some comparative data here, too: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2010/01/string_selector_2010.html

spdskr
08-24-2010, 06:29 AM
" People who play at net and with a full bed will tend to want Pacific Classic, whereas baseline players who want to hybrid gut with a stiffer string tend toward Legend, in this gut niche."

This is exactly how I feel. I use a full bed of Pacific classic in one frame and Klip X-Plosive hybrid (Legend mains) in two other frames. I use the former for doubles play or singles matches where I get significant net opportunities. I, however, prefer the hybrid setups for playing singles against strong baseline players.

Rabbit
08-24-2010, 06:32 AM
Pacific Classic has better touch and power than Legend, which is valued mainly for its (relative) durability. People who play at net and with a full bed will tend to want Pacific Classic, whereas baseline players who want to hybrid gut with a stiffer string tend toward Legend, in this gut niche. This is about where the USRSA playtesters came out several years ago when the USRSA did a comparison test of six natural guts.

There is some comparative data here, too: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2010/01/string_selector_2010.html

Great post, I agree 100%.

vamos2050
08-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Pacific is better. Legend is good too but durability is poor.

KickservKyle
08-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Pacific is better. Legend is good too but durability is poor.

So 15L tough gut beats 15 legend in durability?

TennisCJC
08-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Have not played Pac. Legend 16G coated is a very good string. It plays great and I would get about 5-6 weeks playing 3-4 times per week at the 4.0+ USTA level. This was as a cross in a hybrid with a poly in the mains. Durability was very good. The weakness of Klip Legend is the coating is not that great and it frays quickly. It is also trickier to string due to the thin coating and very soft string - it crimps and separates easier than other better coated gut.

Babolat Tonic 16G is a better gut in my view. Plays as good or better than Klip Legend and has a better coating - strings easier, durabiliy as good or better, better weather protection, and does not fray as quickly.

BorgFan123
08-24-2010, 03:11 PM

I like it too.

JT_2eighty
08-24-2010, 03:20 PM
I've not used Legend, but have used Pacific Classic a few times. Compared to VS, it is stiffer, with great ball-feel, a solid 'controlled-power' playability, and good durability (especially if using string savers at any intersection that starts to fray). Here's a good thread comparing these guts:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=301575

dParis
08-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the feedback, homies. I intended to pick up a set of Pacific Classic and I'm going to follow through with that. Seems that it should deliver all that one would expect from a natural gut....Legend, which is valued mainly for its (relative) durability.

Legend is good too but durability is poor.
There are no absolutes. The best one can do is gather a consensus.:)