PDA

View Full Version : where to go

tenniscoach07
08-24-2010, 12:57 AM
I am hoping to open a tennis shop soon..... my stringing is ok but if i am going to go full tilt i need to become much better and faster. besides just doing more racquets to become better ...... is there such thing as stringing school?

jim e
08-24-2010, 03:46 AM
I am hoping to open a tennis shop soon..... my stringing is ok but if i am going to go full tilt i need to become much better and faster. besides just doing more racquets to become better ...... is there such thing as stringing school?

Go to grand slam stringers web site . They hold an annual stringers symposium each Oct. in Florida, and have world class stringers there.
During the seminar they can also certify you as a certified stringer, or MRT if you so desire, as they offer the exams, and also give lectures on the information required for you to know for the MRT as well. Check out their web site as it normally is listed there.

joe sch
08-24-2010, 06:17 AM
Nothing replaces practice for speeding up skills.
Make sure the skills your practicing a the best techniques, ie threading cross strings.
If you need more practice rackets to string, I can send you many that need stringing with strings :)

Irvin
08-24-2010, 06:41 AM
If you are going to open a tennis shop advertising that you are a member of the USRSA and a Certified Stringer (CS) Master Racket Technician (MRT) should help you get more business. And if you are a CS or MRT you will be added to the USRSA's webiste which provides a search tool for stringer in the area.

And you can find an MRT that will give you private lessons at this site:

http://www.racquettech.com/top/instructor_search.html

Irvin

Parker512
08-24-2010, 07:55 AM
If you are going to open a tennis shop advertising that you are a member of the USRSA and a Certified Stringer (CS) Master Racket Technician (MRT) should help you get more business. And if you are a CS or MRT you will be added to the USRSA's webiste which provides a search tool for stringer in the area.

And you can find an MRT that will give you private lessons at this site:

http://www.racquettech.com/top/instructor_search.html

Irvin

Searched the the thing only person in the country is in Alabama.

Irvin
08-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Searched the the thing only person in the country is in Alabama.

Trust me there are a lot more than that but the search tool is terrible. Try putting 'C' in for the state and nothing else and you will see. Of course there are no instructors in Connecticut.

You might try looking for a certified stringer or an MRT near you. There are 11 certified stringer and 3 MRTs in Connecticut. There names and contact info is all listed on the site below. Just use ct for the state in the search.

Shame on the USRSA though, they list all the members first, certified stringers next, and the MRTs are at the end of the last page.

http://www.racquettech.com/top/stringer_search.html

Irvin

GPB
08-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Wow, I just checked out that link and discovered that my old high school coach (and the guy who taught me to string) is an MRT! He never mentioned it before, though I can't say the topic has ever come up in conversation.

I wonder what advantages becoming certified or gaining one's MRT would have for a casual home stringer?

Irvin
08-24-2010, 11:05 AM
...I wonder what advantages becoming certified or gaining one's MRT would have for a casual home stringer?

I used to work for a very large telecommunications company. There was a push back in the 70s and 80s to go from analog to digital. But for the most part at one point or another there was always an analog link. So many of us asked, "what is the advantage of going digital?" The best answer I ever got was, "Everyone perceives it to be better." Why have a HD TV is everything in real life is 3D. And why have a 3D TV is all the shows are in standard or HD? If knot and not are pronounced the same why isn't know and now pronounced the same? Heck even two, to, and too are pronounced the same while sometimes the and the aren't.

It makes no difference if you have a certification or not but when you are certified people perceive you to be a better stringer. Whether you practice what you did to pass the certification doesn't matter.

Many stringers at the big stores are all certified stringers. But I have seen stringers in those stores that I wouldn't let string my racket no matter how bad I needed it strung.

Getting back to your question if you get MRT certification you will have to know what is right and wrong. Whether you practice what you preach or not is a different story.

Irvin

LttlElvis
08-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Going to the OPs original question: If you are opening a tennis shop, isn't stringing one of the more minor tasks you have to learn? I believe the highest profit items would probably be clothes (if you buy in large quantities). The least profitable thing in a tennis shop is stringing. If you already know how to string, you will have plenty of time to learn how to string efficiently just by repetition. You probably really need to concentrate on sales and profits.

jim e
08-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Going to the OPs original question: If you are opening a tennis shop, isn't stringing one of the more minor tasks you have to learn? I believe the highest profit items would probably be clothes (if you buy in large quantities). The least profitable thing in a tennis shop is stringing. If you already know how to string, you will have plenty of time to learn how to string efficiently just by repetition. You probably really need to concentrate on sales and profits.

What you say, may be true, But, stringing can differentiate his shop from elsewhere, as the string job has his labor involved to do the best he can for the customer. Its his signature sort of saying, and that could bring people into the shop to string, and once in the shop then get other items.
Anyone can sell racquets or clothing, but the string job can separate that place from others.

Lakers4Life
08-24-2010, 07:28 PM

I have to somewhat disagree, there is a store in Los Angeles that's been around for almost 40 years. From what I've seen, clothing is a hit or miss, most of the time they are selling clothing at half off. Also fashion changes every season, what might be in one season will be out of fashion the next. Don't even get me started on shoes.

I think it's volume of selling everything even stringing. They have about 6 machines in a row and a crew of stringers. Most what they sell they buy in bulk, and I mean bulk. Other than the popular rackets you would normally see at any pro shop, they buy out closeout on rackets that are a couple years old real cheap and price them to sell quickly.

LttlElvis
08-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Well, if I opened a shop, then I have to think of myself as president/CEO of the company. As owner, I don't really need to work on speed and efficiency, because no matter how good I am, it is not profitable for the shop for me to do the stringing. I hire other people to string because stringing takes away from the owner's real duty, which is to keep the shop profitable.

I think I am a pretty efficient stringer and I can probably string 3 racquets/hour. But that would take me away from my real job which is making the shop as profitable as possible.

Now I am not saying an owner should not learn to string well. I think an owner will get the proficient skills just out of necessity. The stringing skills will come pretty quickly.

As far as previous season's clothes being sold at half off, the store is still making a profit. Many items like clothing, shoes, racquets, are sold for 4 times the cost. This has to be the way to cover the rent, utilities, space, inventory, etc. Those 40ft string packets are actually one of the things that don't have a high mark up and are being sold pretty close to cost.

coachrick
08-24-2010, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=LttlElvis;4984562

As far as previous season's clothes being sold at half off, the store is still making a profit. Many items like clothing, shoes, racquets, are sold for 4 times the cost. This has to be the way to cover the rent, utilities, space, inventory, etc. .[/QUOTE]

Wow, remind me not to shop where you shop! Only with some incredible close-out deals would a shop be able to retail shoes or rackets at 4x cost...and that would not be a consistent opportunity. Most shops would be tickled to get 60% over cost on hard goods, never mind 100%. Clothing is a bit different with the discounts offered by manufacturers; but even at that, only the ritziest resort could mark up well known items by more than 2x. It's not like there are 'exclusive' lines as we had in the old days. Consumers can purchase darned near anything from various outlets...and they likely have a bit of an idea what the dealer paid for it!

Lakers4Life
08-24-2010, 11:47 PM
The trick it to buy cheap and sell them for more. For instance, Wilson Stamina 17 (light green), Wilson recently had a packaging change, the store was able to pick the old packaging (dark blue with Roger Fed) for like $1 a set. They in turn sell if for $1.99 a set. While the new packaged Stamina sells for $3.79.

LittlE, I understand what you mean and have seen the same thing in the store. The owner is at the front register and taking care of customers and ordering the employees to stock the racks. Real nice guy, and is not afraid to explain how he's able to sell stuff so cheap, and still make a good profit.