PDA

View Full Version : 4 Racquet Sports Tournament in Victoria, BC

Beacon Hill
08-24-2010, 08:48 AM
If you're in the Pacific Northwest or want a fun vacation there, consider entering the 5th Annual Pacific Rim Open Racketlon Tournament.

Players play 21 points each in table tennis, badminton, squash, and tennis - the one with the most total points wins. Most likely you will be able to play one sport well, one OK, and barely play the other two, so you need to win your sports by a large margin, and figure out a way to get a few points in the other sports. It's an incredibly fun tournament in a beautiful city.

Racketlon is very big in Europe. They have leagues and a semi-professional tour. The best players in the world are some of the fittest athletes anywhere. No. 1 in the world has won the Pacific Rim Open twice, and every year there are Olympic caliber players. But there is a category for every level of play, so the tournament is great for anyone who loves racquet sports.

http://pacificrimopen.com/index.html

Sherlock
08-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Ah, I wish I lived there. I play all 4 sports, though tennis dwarfs the others by far. Sounds like the perfect tournament for me.

Beacon Hill
08-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Ah, I wish I lived there. I play all 4 sports, though tennis dwarfs the others by far. Sounds like the perfect tournament for me.
The atmosphere is great. Everyone has a lot of fun. We've found that tennis is the worst sport to have as your strong sport because it's hard to win as convincingly as the other sports, even if you are playing someone a couple levels below you.

A competitive table tennis player will lose very few points, if any, to a recreational player. Same is true for badminton and squash players, and they have the added advantage of being able to run you into the ground while they are beating you badly.

There are more unforced errors in tennis. Also, a good badminton player may not be able to play tennis very well, but can often serve at over 100 mph so will pick up some cheap points that way.

That being said, though, we've had some great matches where 5.0-6.0 tennis players have been successful at keeping their opponents to under 3 points in order to win the overall point total.