PDA

View Full Version : Babolat one piece stringing

Irvin
08-24-2010, 08:05 AM
What do you think? Is it ok to string Babolat rackets as one piece?

Irvin

drakulie
08-24-2010, 09:12 AM
If I'm not mistaken, or it has recently changed, babolat states to string their frames one piece, going from throat up.

I string the pure drive one piece, and just do an ATW. For all I know, it voids the warranty.

jmverdugo
08-24-2010, 09:14 AM
^^ Not only from throat up, but the stringing pattern also indicates that you can conmpletely do one side of the mains and then do the other, no need to alternate sides...

masterxfob
08-24-2010, 09:21 AM
from the few babolat rackets that i've done, they seem to use a one piece stringing method. not that it matters since i do a two piece job.

mikeler
08-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Oops, did not read the full question...

Irvin
08-24-2010, 09:52 AM
If I'm not mistaken, or it has recently changed, babolat states to string their frames one piece, going from throat up.

I string the pure drive one piece, and just do an ATW. For all I know, it voids the warranty.

Well I had thought that you could string the Babolats from the bottom up too. But when I go to the Babolat web site (http://www.babolat.com/#/tennis/us/products/43) and look at their stringing instructions I see all their rackets show two piece stringing. So I decided to email them and see what's up. Babolat response was, "Babolat racquets are always recommended stringing as a two piece stringing."

Irvin

jmverdugo
08-24-2010, 10:16 AM
It changed, I have a pdf file that I downloaded from Babolat's website:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/jmverdugo/APDSP.jpg

Also I remember when on TW's page the stringing information was 1 piece and I have had in my hands a APDC bought from TW an strung in 1 piece from bottom to top.

Irvin
08-24-2010, 10:20 AM
It changed...

Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine. ~Robert C. Gallagher

jim e
08-24-2010, 12:42 PM
A large % of Babolats racquets can be strung as 2 pc, or 1 pc. according to "The Digest".
I string most racquets as 2 pc. and some Babolats where they have the the cross strings tied to a cross, I still start the cross strings top down, use a starting clamp, and once the first few cross strings are in place, then tie off to the designated tie off on one of the just installed cross strings.Never seems to be any issue.
Especially with all the hybrid stringing requests, and stringing nat. gut (less handling of string) , and Heads requirement to string their preformance racquets as 2 piece only, and to be consistant with each job, I string just about everything as 2 piece.

Cruzer
08-24-2010, 03:06 PM
I have been stringing my pure drives one piece, bottom to top for over 10 years without any problems. Their response to emails may now be to string two piece however for years the stringing patterns on their website were one piece.

Irvin
08-24-2010, 03:13 PM
^^ I understand what you guys are saying I was just as surprised as you guys are and wondered if anyone knew. I used to have a Head LM Fire and Head used to say one piece was ok. Now they don't. My racket was perfectly fine too.

Irvin

drakulie
08-25-2010, 05:20 AM
^^ Not only from throat up, but the stringing pattern also indicates that you can conmpletely do one side of the mains and then do the other, no need to alternate sides...

yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks for confirming, and adding the pdf file.

also, thanks for the updates guys. Seems these racquet manufacturers are constantly changing their attitude about this issue.

mikeler
08-25-2010, 06:07 AM
A large % of Babolats racquets can be strung as 2 pc, or 1 pc. according to "The Digest".
I string most racquets as 2 pc. and some Babolats where they have the the cross strings tied to a cross, I still start the cross strings top down, use a starting clamp, and once the first few cross strings are in place, then tie off to the designated tie off on one of the just installed cross strings.Never seems to be any issue.
Especially with all the hybrid stringing requests, and stringing nat. gut (less handling of string) , and Heads requirement to string their preformance racquets as 2 piece only, and to be consistant with each job, I string just about everything as 2 piece.

Per your recommendation, I've been doing this on my Pure Storms all year and my frames are just fine.

Rabbit
08-25-2010, 06:14 AM
yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks for confirming, and adding the pdf file.

also, thanks for the updates guys. Seems these racquet manufacturers are constantly changing their attitude about this issue.

Yeah, it's amazing what a few (thousand) warranty claims will do for your attention to detail.

Irvin
08-25-2010, 06:37 AM
By the way I had an AeroPro Drive come in today for stringing. I had always strung this racket one piece before and never had any problems. Today I decided to do it two piece with ALU Power. Before I started stringing the crosses I noticed how close the tie off hole is to the outside main. Wow what a pain this could be to tie the knot. I have made a video on how to tie that knot and I am uploading it now. Be on the lookout for it.

Irvin

Rabbit
08-25-2010, 06:59 AM
^^^^^^^
Yep, the tie off is a PITA on Babs doing two-piece. You would think a company built on string would pay a little more attention to how their racquets are designed with regard to stringing.

Irvin
08-25-2010, 07:07 AM
^^ Here is a link to my video to make it pretty easy.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Mr10sStringer#p/a/u/0/4WILK_BwWCE

Irvin

Hidious
08-25-2010, 08:51 AM
^^^^^^^
Yep, the tie off is a PITA on Babs doing two-piece. You would think a company built on string would pay a little more attention to how their racquets are designed with regard to stringing.

Babs aren't alone in this, i feel like there is a trend going on; i keep running into this annoyance these days, no matter what brand the racquet is.

I suppose you're aware of this thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=344585) that i posted on Sunday?

Rabbit
08-25-2010, 11:30 AM

Irvin

Thanks, I'll look at it when I get home. Tell you the truth, I string Babs one-piece bottom to top like they say you can or, if requested by the discriminating user, I'll do an ATW. Either way, a one-piece is easier than a hybrid on these beasts.

Babs aren't alone in this, i feel like there is a trend going on; i keep running into this annoyance these days, no matter what brand the racquet is.

I suppose you're aware of this thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=344585) that i posted on Sunday?

Yep, I posted in that thread. Whenever I string, I try to tie off on crosses. I realize this isn't possible with hybrids, but on one-piece string jobs, I always tie off on crosses unless it's just no possible.

For my C10s, that winds up being the 3rd cross from top/bottom with the knots on the same side.

schap02
08-26-2010, 05:05 AM

Irvin

Interesting video Irvin, Cool idea, Im sure most super fast weavers would consider it a waste but for normal people who take 40 or so minutes stringing - I'm sure that little trick should save time...

Just out of curiosity - I thought I noticed you were using a wise tension head, what type of machine is it mounted on, your base/clamps etc...look nice...

Irvin
08-26-2010, 07:23 AM
I do have a Wise tension head. I have it mounted on a Gamma 6004 6 point self centering stringer. When I got the Wise I was using an Eagnas. When I first got the Gamma I used the crank for a long time before I put the Wise on it. If I had the Gamma first I would never have got the Wise I don't believe.

IMHO I think a good crank is as good as a constant pull, but I will not agrue that. I think the person stringing, and their technique, make a bigger difference than the machine that is stringing.

Irvin

Irvin
08-31-2010, 10:05 AM
It changed, I have a pdf file that I downloaded from Babolat's website:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/jmverdugo/APDSP.jpg

Also I remember when on TW's page the stringing information was 1 piece and I have had in my hands a APDC bought from TW an strung in 1 piece from bottom to top.

Well it appears that it has not changed yet. I started looking at that diagram (and others) a little closer. If you notice on that picture on the top right the outside main (#19 and #20) goes to the bottom cross and the racket crosses (#21 to #40) goes from bottom to cross. According to the diagram it can be strung either way but that is not what they are saying.

I guess they are saying it is better to do two piece but one piece is ok.

Irvin