PDA

View Full Version : Zigtech as a tennis shoe?

rdy2playball
08-24-2010, 08:44 AM
I didn't see a thread about it, but it might be in another thread somewhere, sorry if it is... How about Zigtech as a tennis shoe? It's advertised "tennis shoe", but I don't want to get it if it isn't actually a good shoe to play tennis in.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/files/images/1004-sole-mate-reebok-zigtech.preview.jpg

If this is a decent tennis shoe that would make me really happy, because I like how you can customize the colors... I'd get it to match my team colors. Thanks in advance! :)

10ACE
08-24-2010, 08:58 AM
I have never played in them- but from the looks of them- the lateral support- from stop and go- doesn't look promising- could roll ankle too-

Kunohara
08-24-2010, 09:00 AM
They're incredibly comfortable, but I would never wear them for tennis.

vandre
08-24-2010, 09:24 AM
I have never played in them- but from the looks of them- the lateral support- from stop and go- doesn't look promising- could roll ankle too-

this + i bet the durability would suck if you would playing on hc or the pros may kick your tuchas for wearing these on har-tru. if they didn't, i might because i've seen the divits yabos with running shoes can make on a har-tru court and that looks like it'd do much more damage!

WildVolley
08-24-2010, 09:45 AM
I'm LOL at using the Zigtech to play serious tennis. Sorry about that.

Just looking at those shoes, they seem to have an enormous heel for cushioning. Being way off the court is not conducive to quick lateral movement and stability in a start and stop game like tennis.

Low to the ground and with support for lateral movement are what make a tennis shoe great in my mind. Sorry, the Zigtech looks like a fashion shoe, or fun shoe, but not something I'd want to wear when trying to win a match.

The_Question
08-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Wow...just wow...

hcb0804
08-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Those are not tennis shoes, they are running shoes. You don't play tennis in running shoes!

Ronaldo
08-24-2010, 12:04 PM
No tennis players in the commercials, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykH-Wvidy_I

rdy2playball
08-24-2010, 07:38 PM
When I googled it, it said "tennis shoe", it must have been a mistake. Plus, they aren't a fashion shoe... they're meant for enhanced performance, I just not for tennis. Thanks, I'll look for some other shoes, and your welcome for the laughs.

ybot
08-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Way too high off the ground like a 4x4! Tennis shoes are really close to the ground.

WildVolley
08-24-2010, 09:43 PM
When I googled it, it said "tennis shoe", it must have been a mistake. Plus, they aren't a fashion shoe... they're meant for enhanced performance, I just not for tennis. Thanks, I'll look for some other shoes, and your welcome for the laughs.

They say they're for enhanced performance, but they also make a bold visual statement, so I'm skeptical.

I think a lot of athletic shoes are called "tennis shoes" even if they aren't designed for tennis. But you're correct, the Zigtech is being marketed as a running shoe. If you get a pair, tell me how they feel. I'd like to run in a pair just to see what they're like, but I'm never going to buy them.

Sinner
08-25-2010, 01:24 AM
I tried on the runners (just for the hell of it) and they have an interesting spring/flex in the shoe... hard to explain. Point is, I think the ZigTech does offer some sort of aid to running (and not just a gimmick). Having said that, you definitely would not want to play tennis in them. The same reason why you should never play in other running shoes... no lat. stability.

Reebok, however, has made some ZigTech hoop shoes, which is interesting. Dunno about the durability, but they should offer more lat. stability than the runners. Still too thick of an outsole for my liking.
http://counterkicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Reebok_Zig_Slash_GunmetalComet-600x337.jpg
http://counterkicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Reebok_Zig_Slash_GunmetalComet__4_-600x337.jpg

flashfire276
08-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Two words=
Sprain ankles.

Big_Dangerous
08-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Those are not tennis shoes, they are running shoes. You don't play tennis in running shoes!

I do... I actually like the running shoes a bit better because they're a bit lighter so it helps with quicker footwork, it's less protection, but honestly I don't roll ankles hardly at all, so I'm willing to trade protection for a shoe that's lighter, and can help me move faster.

I have a pair of on court shoes as well that are nice, and I'll alternate between the two, but the on court shoes are heavier and bulkier.

JStar7
08-25-2010, 02:20 PM
I wear ZigTechs for running and going in the gym. The comfort is outstanding. I'd be very interested in trying out a Zig Tennis shoe.

goran_ace
08-26-2010, 07:15 AM
I do... I actually like the running shoes a bit better because they're a bit lighter so it helps with quicker footwork, it's less protection, but honestly I don't roll ankles hardly at all, so I'm willing to trade protection for a shoe that's lighter, and can help me move faster.

I have a pair of on court shoes as well that are nice, and I'll alternate between the two, but the on court shoes are heavier and bulkier.

Your ankles are you own business, but running shoes typically do not have 'non-marking' soles and will leave streaks all over a hard court.

JT_2eighty
08-26-2010, 08:49 AM

If you want a court shoe that is like a running shoe... look no further than the New Balance 900 court shoe. Built on a "running last", but made to be a court shoe... it is exactly what it sounds like you are looking for. I have a pair they are the lightest shoe I've used, no break-in needed, and as comfortable as a pair of slippers, with superb lateral support and a 12-month durability guarantee!