PDA

View Full Version : Rumors you have heard about 2011 Ratings?

wvtennis
08-24-2010, 10:36 AM
At sectionals this weekend I heard all kinds of rumors as far as what will happen when the 2011 Ratings come out. What are some of the rumors that you have heard from legitimate people?

One rumor I have heard over and over is that they are NOT going to bump anyone back down to there previous level this year.

polski
08-24-2010, 10:56 AM
At sectionals this weekend I heard all kinds of rumors as far as what will happen when the 2011 Ratings come out. What are some of the rumors that you have heard from legitimate people?

One rumor I have heard over and over is that they are NOT going to bump anyone back down to there previous level this year.

That makes sense. I see them continuing to bump up with minimal bump downs.

From what I see happening in leagues, the people that should have been bumped last year will definately get bumped this year. When all is said and done (2-3 years down the road):

-3.5 will look like historically good 3.0 & weak 3.5 players
-4.0 should resemble a strong 3.5 league from years past where no one simply dominates
-4.5 will resemble a low level 4.5 league from years past
-5.0 will be the formerly strong 4.5s made up of a lot of club pros & former college players.

I predict that the future arguments will filter into the 2.5-3.0 range as well as anyone bumped to 5.5 that can't find leagues in their area. I think that 3.5-5.0 will end up being pretty balanced.

Cindysphinx
08-24-2010, 01:06 PM
I dunno.

I didn't get bumped to 3.5 last year (this is my third year at 3.5). I don't expect to get bumped to 4.0 this fall.

So that shoots your theory! :)

AutoXer
08-24-2010, 05:14 PM
The way I played tonight, I should be bumped down to 1.0.

polski
08-24-2010, 07:23 PM
I dunno.

I didn't get bumped to 3.5 last year (this is my third year at 3.5). I don't expect to get bumped to 4.0 this fall.

So that shoots your theory! :)

Not really. You may just fit in that rating.

Perry the Platypus
08-25-2010, 07:40 AM
according to our coordinator at districts the bump up this year will be smaller than last year and will focus on players advancing to sectionals and beyond. He thought somewhere in the 10-15% range. He then expected the bumps to slow for a bit. There could be more movement in 4.5 as there is a desire to create a legitimate 5.0 competition in more areas.

polski
08-25-2010, 08:36 AM
There could be more movement in 4.5 as there is a desire to create a legitimate 5.0 competition in more areas.

To do this, they need to change the self rate questionaire (which needs to be done anyways). As long as they allow former college players to self rate 4.5, there won't be legit 5.0 leagues.

NoSkillzAndy
08-25-2010, 09:59 AM
To do this, they need to change the self rate questionaire (which needs to be done anyways). As long as they allow former college players to self rate 4.5, there won't be legit 5.0 leagues.

Good point.

Kostas
08-25-2010, 11:02 AM
according to our coordinator at districts the bump up this year will be smaller than last year and will focus on players advancing to sectionals and beyond. He thought somewhere in the 10-15% range. He then expected the bumps to slow for a bit. There could be more movement in 4.5 as there is a desire to create a legitimate 5.0 competition in more areas.

I'd like to know what players went to sectionals LAST year and prior that didn't get bumped...regardless of their level.

JLyon
08-25-2010, 01:23 PM
I know 2 Texas 4.5 players who went to 4.5 nationals last year going 2-1 and 3-0 at Nationals who did no get bumped, so how does the computer justify that or even the USTA.

Perry the Platypus
08-25-2010, 02:44 PM
I went to sectionals last year and didn't get bumped. They can't bump everybody that goes..... I went 2-2 (had gone 0-3 at districts). Our team went 2-2 and only lost 3 or 4 guys. My guess is you will see the same kind of move up at 4.5 that you saw last year with a smaller move as the levels go down....(except 2.5)

Didn't make it to districts this year, but I know plenty of guys on the team that did and based off of their sectionals run I would bet they lose 4-5 guys.