PDA

View Full Version : RPM Blast..... can strings get any better???

Rafa=KingofClay
08-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Best string I've ever used. So much spinnnnn it's unreal. And the black color looks cool. Very forgiving poly. Pretty good feel. What's your opinion now that the hype about it is starting to wear off?:?:

rodrigoamaral
08-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Best string I've ever used. So much spinnnnn it's unreal. And the black color looks cool. Very forgiving poly. Pretty good feel. What's your opinion now that the hype about it is starting to wear off?:?:
its far from being the best string ever.. looses tension quick, overpriced..just my $0.02

jmhs
08-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Best string I've ever used...

Glad to hear that you've found what you're looking for. Opinions on strings vary widely.

For me, the spin potential was nice, but nothing so special that I'd ever try it again for that hideous price.

bfactor61
08-24-2010, 07:13 PM
a great string holds tension longer than rpm.....

Doubles
08-24-2010, 07:17 PM
RPM loses tension too quickly. If you want a poly with great tension maintenance, then go with anything from Signum or Genesis...

SliceForehand
08-25-2010, 01:12 AM
I found Signum Pro Hyperion to not have great playability (to me, this means time that it is still playable before it goes dead).

I'd recommend Technifibre Black Code or Volkl Cyclone. Decent feel, but the strength is in the high amount of power, spin, control, and yet softness from the strings.

chaddles
08-25-2010, 02:30 AM

Average string with plenty of better spin strings out there for less - Cyclone is still the best value spin string by a country mile at the moment.

dekko1
08-25-2010, 02:37 AM
I really did not like RPM. And all this talk of "so much spin", I really did not feel any extra spin; and forgiving?? what is that some people think it is a soft poly?

drakulie
08-25-2010, 06:19 AM
soft string for a poly.

horrible tension maintenance.

spin/power were average.

ucr_tennis90
08-25-2010, 11:21 AM
it guess it just depends on your game and your own personal tinkering with the string.

i personally haven't played with a better string. i haven't had any arm problems that i've experienced with other strings. i haven't had any tension issues or a dead feeling on the strings. and i personally don't find them to be all that expensive. i can buy PHT at my local sporting goods store for $25 plus tax and the cost to string it. so it ends up being about the same. but PHT goes dead way faster than RPM in my experiences. i've personally just found the perfect tension for my game at 62lbs. so i probably wont change strings for a while on my APDGT.

i'm still tinkering on my aerostorm. i'm trying luxilon BBO @52lbs based on what i've heard about arm problems with luxilon. so i guess if i like BBO on my aerostorm, i'll try it on my APDGT. but after BBO, i'm going to try RPM on my aerostorm. i haven't found a string that doesn't hurt my arm when i use my aerostorm, which is too bad cause i really like the way that racket handles.

flashfire276
08-25-2010, 11:34 AM
It's a good string, but NOT for the price!!
I never tried in a full bed, but I did have it as a hybrid in the mains with Gosen Micro in the crosses.

flashfire276
08-25-2010, 11:35 AM
i'm still tinkering on my aerostorm. i'm trying luxilon BBO @52lbs based on what i've heard about arm problems with luxilon. so i guess if i like BBO on my aerostorm, i'll try it on my APDGT. but after BBO, i'm going to try RPM on my aerostorm. i haven't found a string that doesn't hurt my arm when i use my aerostorm, which is too bad cause i really like the way that racket handles.

Aero Storm FTW!

ucr_tennis90
08-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Aero Storm FTW!

it was my first "non-walmart" racket and i gotta say that it's probably my favorite racket for groundstrokes haha. i can hit the ball anywhere with that racket. serving is a little off compared to the APDC or APDGT that i have, but not too much. a little more use and i'd probably switch to it exclusively. but like i said, i can't find a string that takes away my arm issues with that racket. hopefully it'll be luxilon BBO or RPM.

Jakesteroni
08-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Definitely preference. Everyone has different grip style, with weight, tension and racket too tough to say one string is better than the other.

austintennis2005
08-25-2010, 04:05 PM
soft string for a poly.

horrible tension maintenance.

spin/power were average.

drak- i just bought some rpm blast today but havnt tried it yet in my 6.0 95 prostaff.

just wondering what your sting set up is?

ManuGinobili
08-25-2010, 07:52 PM

Thread title is too provocative lol... Take the time to read around this forum... discover the strings we actually rave about... in a few months you will regret posting this :)

drakulie
08-25-2010, 08:38 PM
drak- i just bought some rpm blast today but havnt tried it yet in my 6.0 95 prostaff.

just wondering what your sting set up is?

Currently using a Youtek Prestige Pro, strung with genese black magic at 60 to 63 lbs. (17 gauge). LOVE IT!!

I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts of the PS95 with the RPM blast.

Thanks!

arche3
08-27-2010, 07:09 AM
I am back to the rpm blast full bed at 55lbs. I just serve really well with this string. It out performs Alu power/VS 16 hybrid imo hands down. between full ALU and full RPM it is a tossup for me. I like ALU better on ground strokes, and RPM better on serves. I chose serves. So I am going with RPM for now.

I am using 16g RPM. Anyone use the 17g RPM and your thoughts on it?

Pure Babs
08-27-2010, 10:42 PM
I've used both gauges, and I liked the 17g more. It felt crisper to me, but they snapped much quicker than the 16g. Guess that's the price you pay. Personally I like revenge more anyway...

austintennis2005
08-28-2010, 08:17 AM
Currently using a Youtek Prestige Pro, strung with genese black magic at 60 to 63 lbs. (17 gauge). LOVE IT!!

I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts of the PS95 with the RPM blast.

Thanks!

i like the prestige pro a lot- i always seem to go back to my ps 95 6.0. though. i remember you said that you sometimes hit with this racquet.

i would be putting the rpm only in the mains-i like kirshbaum multi in the crosses
my current set up is cyber blue in the mains and kirshbaum multi in the cross- i love that set up. lower mid 50's

whats your tension?

Devilito
08-28-2010, 09:41 AM
try Tecnifibre Black Code. Similar, better, cheaper

mag1171
08-28-2010, 11:36 AM
The strings are very nice for power and control,topspin is great but not extreme.
The bad thing is the tension lose, after a few matches this strings go totally flat, no feel at all or pop. Too bad 'cause it last long. For the price I'm going back to black code or try signum tornado. My 2 cents.

ucr_tennis90
08-28-2010, 09:10 PM
has anyone else not experienced the dramatic tension loss like me? i've had three different sets and each has lasted 3-4 weeks with no breakage, no trampoline effect, and the same playability as when i started. i play 2 hours a day every day.

arche3
08-29-2010, 03:04 PM
I am actually shocked at the tension stabiity after 6 hours of play.
It had an initial drop of a couple pounds (thanks to freqmess) after the first 2 hours. Then it has stayed the same for 4 more hours so far. This contradicts my initial impression of severe tension loss.
I just went back to rpm after 2 months of using other strings. I guess im just imagining severe tension loss. Maybe it is because now i am worried about my tennis elbow more than string tension.

has anyone else not experienced the dramatic tension loss like me? i've had three different sets and each has lasted 3-4 weeks with no breakage, no trampoline effect, and the same playability as when i started. i play 2 hours a day every day.

ucr_tennis90
08-29-2010, 03:16 PM
I am actually shocked at the tension stabiity after 6 hours of play.
It had an initial drop of a couple pounds (thanks to freqmess) after the first 2 hours. Then it has stayed the same for 4 more hours so far. This contradicts my initial impression of severe tension loss.
I just went back to rpm after 2 months of using other strings. I guess im just imagining severe tension loss. Maybe it is because now i am worried about my tennis elbow more than string tension.

i guess whenever i get my racket restrung, i just let it sit there for a couple of hours so the strings settle. so i guess i just don't feel the change because they have already dropped to my ideal tension. maybe that's the key to these strings then?

Fedace
08-29-2010, 03:18 PM
about how many hours does RPM last ? and what level of player?

ucr_tennis90
08-29-2010, 03:36 PM
about how many hours does RPM last ? and what level of player?

i've gone 4 weeks on one set of RPM 17. by the end they were trash. but i can get 2hrs a day for 4 weeks of hitting at a wall/serving. probably less for match play, but i only play matches a couple times a week. i'm not rated, but i've been told i'm somewhere between 3.0-3.5 NTRP.

i think playing style, racket, and the actual player themselves have a lot to do with it too:
i'm 6'4" and 235ish lbs, i generate plenty of power on my own so i don't have to take a huge cut at the ball. i use the APDGT with the RPM 17 @ 62lbs (but like i said above i let the strings sit for a few hours so it drops where i like it). i play mostly from the baseline but not super defensive because i have low stamina due to asthma, lots of topspin on the forehand but i do flatten it out when i need it, flatter 2HBH, 1H slice BH, mostly kick and slice serves with a few flats when going for the ace.

Fedace
08-29-2010, 03:40 PM
i've gone 4 weeks on one set of RPM 17. by the end they were trash. but i can get 2hrs a day for 4 weeks of hitting at a wall/serving. probably less for match play, but i only play matches a couple times a week. i'm not rated, but i've been told i'm somewhere between 3.0-3.5 NTRP.

i think playing style, racket, and the actual player themselves have a lot to do with it too:
i'm 6'4" and 235ish lbs, i generate plenty of power on my own so i don't have to take a huge cut at the ball. i use the APDGT with the RPM 17 @ 62lbs (but like i said above i let the strings sit for a few hours so it drops where i like it). i play mostly from the baseline but not super defensive because i have low stamina due to asthma, lots of topspin on the forehand but i do flatten it out when i need it, flatter 2HBH, 1H slice BH, mostly kick and slice serves with a few flats when going for the ace.

How many hours of play does it last before it Starts to lose its freshness or playability ?? I know it doesn't break for a while. I am about 4.5-5.0 and i just hate it when Poly starts to go dead. mainly because it loses control.

arche3
08-29-2010, 03:46 PM
i guess whenever i get my racket restrung, i just let it sit there for a couple of hours so the strings settle. so i guess i just don't feel the change because they have already dropped to my ideal tension. maybe that's the key to these strings then?

Oh... what I do is the same. I let it sit over night. I meant to post I get a 2lbs loss after the first 2 hour hitting session. then it has stayed the same for another 4 hours. No change what so ever.

arche3
08-29-2010, 03:51 PM
How many hours of play does it last before it Starts to lose its freshness or playability ?? I know it doesn't break for a while. I am about 4.5-5.0 and i just hate it when Poly starts to go dead. mainly because it loses control.

I am 4.5-5.0 as well currently. After my match this morning. total playing time on string job 6 hours. APDC at 55 lbs. The strings still played well. No lost of control. Will update thread as I get more hours on strings. If it lasts 10 hours I will be very happy.

ucr_tennis90
08-29-2010, 04:05 PM

i'd say i have to start adapting to the playability change after 6 or 7 hours. but you're better than me so it might last you less time. i still have plenty of control after 3 weeks, but by the 4th week they are completely dead and i need to restring.

on a side note, anyone tried the klippermate racket stringer? i'm tired of relying on the local sporting goods store. they take 3 days to do it and they always mess up something. the aerostorm i just got back had a frayed string and several mistakes, i'd rather learn to do it myself.

Fedace
08-29-2010, 04:06 PM
i'd say i have to start adapting to the playability change after 6 or 7 hours. but you're better than me so it might last you less time. i still have plenty of control after 3 weeks, but by the 4th week they are completely dead and i need to restring.

on a side note, anyone tried the klippermate racket stringer? i'm tired of relying on the local sporting goods store. they take 3 days to do it and they always mess up something. the aerostorm i just got back had a frayed string and several mistakes, i'd rather learn to do it myself.

Thanks , i am finding it so far that i have to cut it out at about 6 hours mark if it doesn't break first. because it loses too much playability and control.:???:

hpaiste
08-30-2010, 04:44 PM
When I was at tennis camp in Florida back in June they offered many free strings to string into your racquet for you, one of them being RPM. Umm, I don't know if it was the extremely humid conditions, but these strings for me are like way too much spin. Whenever I hit a normal topspin shot, it flew up in the air like a moonball. I reverted back to my normal strings in less than two hours. Interesting experience on my part....