PDA

View Full Version : Syngut Mains Poly Crosses.. what's your opinion?

THESEXPISTOL
08-24-2010, 06:03 PM
One of my hitting partners used this during his holidays and he says it's one of the best string setups he's ever played with..

He used to play with cyberflash 1.25 mains and tecnifibre syngut pearl 1.25 crosses and one day he was distracted while cutting the mains from the reel and it wasn't enough for the mains. He decided then to string the mains with syngut and use poly string that ran short for the crosses.

He says he gets more comfort, more control, more touch and feel but less spin and durability but he doesn't care about the durability.

Did someone ever tried this combo?
I know that gutmains/polycrosses=heaven but is it good with syngut?

SliceForehand
08-25-2010, 12:15 AM
I've always preferred that set-up for hybrids but can't use it for the durability (or lack thereof).

Synthetic gut ought to work just fine, it just won't have the strengths that natural gut has.

0d1n
08-25-2010, 12:50 AM
I've used Gosen OG Micro 1.29 in mains and CyberFlash 1.25 in the crosses.
It's a nice setup...but yeah...it lasts less than full SG I think (not 100 % sure since I never strung the OG Micro 1.29 in a full bed...but Prince SG Multi (1.30?) holds for more time than that hybrid, and I don't think that's more durable than OG micro...).

GPB
08-25-2010, 07:36 AM
I do mine this way sometimes (lately I've just been throwing on a full set of synthetic gut).
Keep the poly nice and loose and you're good to go.

PumpProbe
09-01-2010, 12:27 AM
I've been experimenting with this set up lately; I used Gosen OGSM 16 in the mains and a very soft generic 18 gauge poly in the crosses at 49/53 lbs. Compared to the reversed setup, this offers more comfort and a lot more touch and feel. Power, control, spin were pretty similar. Durability is less in the sense that the syn gut snaps quicker, but poly in the mains goes dead just as fast. Overall, the increased feel for the ball exuded a lot of confidence. I was able to let loose and hit out as a result of the confidence and not because the racquet had no power.