PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take you to get to the level you are today?

GarrettReid
08-24-2010, 06:15 PM
It's took me about 2 months to get to the 2.0 - 3.0 level.

Tennis_Monk
08-24-2010, 06:50 PM
I usually play with the pros and it took me a week or two....

yea.. with WII

Limpinhitter
08-24-2010, 07:15 PM
The ascent or the decline?

BorgFan123
08-24-2010, 07:15 PM
The ascent or the decline?

Of course, ascent. sir

Limpinhitter
08-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Of course, ascent. sir

It ended so long ago I don't remember!

RoddickAce
08-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Quite a long time, I always felt as though I could rally quite well, but I couldn't string wins together consistently for a while.

But after 1-2 years of serious refining of my technique + half a year of match practice with A level (5.0+) and some high 4.5 players (for a total of around 6 years), I am at around a B level player (which translates to 4.0-4.5, we don't really have an exact rating in my area), probably around the solid-high 4.0 level, and maybe low level 4.5 if I string more wins together by improving my mental/physical ability.

larry10s
08-25-2010, 04:02 AM
started 9 years ago now 4.0
still improving

aphex
08-25-2010, 04:12 AM
It's took me about 2 months to get to the 2.0 - 3.0 level.

2.0, 2.5 or 3.0?

ADDcourt
08-25-2010, 06:49 AM
i was a 2.5 last year and i moved up to a 4.5 just last week.

ballboy48
08-25-2010, 07:10 AM
I am a natural. Was better than 3.0 the first time I picked up a racket. Unfortunately I didn't pursue it.

cknobman
08-25-2010, 07:52 AM
For me its been very steady, 2 years at each level.

now at 4.0 going on 7 months.

MegacedU
08-25-2010, 09:41 AM
i was a 2.5 last year and i moved up to a 4.5 just last week.

I don't see this as entirely possible. I was recruited for Division I tennis and I'd venture to say I was a solid 4.5 then and I'd been playing since I was 5.

To answer the OP it took me probably 12 years before I reached my peak.

Stinkdyr
08-25-2010, 09:44 AM
It wasn't until I discovered L.Ron Hoover and the first church of appliantology and paid them lots of money to be allowed into the top level where I was allowed to read all about how Xenu the warlord came to earth to pave the first tennis court that I was able to play this well.

LeeD
08-25-2010, 10:56 AM
4.5 or B after 4 years.
More than 3 rounds in at last 10 Open tourneys, 2 Q's, after the 4th year.

tennis tom
08-25-2010, 11:17 AM
It took me 62 years to get to play in the Senior 60's Age Group Tournaments.

gould2000
08-25-2010, 11:53 AM
37 years old. took me 2 years of semi regular play to get to good 3.5 player. over of that 2 years, about 4-5 months were taken off to do PT and shoulder surgery. 6 months post surgery now and finally feeling like I am becoming a good 3.5 player

dizzlmcwizzl
08-25-2010, 01:14 PM
started 9 years ago now 4.0
still improving

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

GarrettReid
08-25-2010, 01:42 PM
2.0, 2.5 or 3.0?

Somedays I play a 2.0 game and other days I play a 3.0 game. :p

SourStraws
08-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Im a solid 4.0 and Ive been playing two years

S.S.

furyballs
08-25-2010, 02:58 PM
It wasn't until I discovered L.Ron Hoover and the first church of appliantology and paid them lots of money to be allowed into the top level where I was allowed to read all about how Xenu the warlord came to earth to pave the first tennis court that I was able to play this well.

LMFAO.... Did you try a date with a vacuum claener?

aceX
08-25-2010, 03:06 PM
The time since I started playing tennis...

anantak2k
08-25-2010, 06:30 PM
One year from the point where I first picked up a tennis racket to get to a 3.5 and another 4 years after that to reach 4.5

So 5 years to get to 4.5. Now on the decline with nagging injuries (wrist, elbow, knees... basically all the joints).

NLBwell
08-25-2010, 08:42 PM
From 5 years old to 19 years old to get to Open level. Maxed out when 22. So 31 years on the way down.

StanW
08-25-2010, 09:39 PM
It took me about 6 months to get to a solid 3.5.
I basically started back in March.

Mostly during the summer months when I get to play everyday.

NoSkillzAndy
08-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Tennis became my primary sport at age 12 and by the time I was 17 I was playing at a 4.5 level. I got officially rated as a 4.5 when I was 18. So about 5-6 years.

Now here's the sad part -- 10 years later and I'm still a 4.5! However, I am definitely a better player than I was back then, but it's very difficult to make the jump to legitimate 5.0. I can play 5.0 tournaments and hold my own, but I'm still rated a 4.5 and unless I'm on top of my fitness and training, I feel more comfortable competing there as well -- even though I would consider about half my matches "easy". The problem for me is that I can't seem to stay focused on staying in shape and practicing often for more than a few months at a time before I go back into "coast" mode...

MrCLEAN
08-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Took half a season of tournaments. Moved up to 3.5 in '08, but didn't play any that year, started playing again in '09, from Feb-June, and apparently did enough to get to 4.0. Now I get my *** kicked.

Bud
08-26-2010, 02:06 PM
I started playing seriously at 38 years old (summer of 2006). I scheduled a 1.5 hour lesson every week for 3-4 months by a very good instructor who teaches open stance, modern FH, etc.

I then started playing serious competitive matches and have averaged about 10-12 hours of tennis per week for the past 4 years (about 2000 hours total in both singles and doubles).

I'm now between 4.0 and 4.5 (singles) and would like to be a solid 4.5 by next summer. I'm a solid 4.5 in doubles and can hang with open doubles players.

My ultimate goal is to reach 5.0 (open level) in singles before turning 45 (2.5 years to go).

Once you reach 4.0+... progress occurs much more slowly.

CrispyFritters
08-26-2010, 10:10 PM
10 years off and on to get to 3.5.
Then took it more seriously and started playing regularly.
2 more years to get to 4.0
2 more years to get to 4.5
Expecting to stay 4.5 for 2-3 years...but I "think" I can make 5.0 with a bit more practice.

Bud
08-27-2010, 03:56 AM
10 years off an on to get to 3.5.
Then took it more seriously and started playing regularly.
2 more years to get to 4.0
2 more years to get to 4.5
Expecting to stay 4.5 for 2-3 years...but I "think" I can make 5.0 with a bit more practice.

Perhaps, we can get together for a match sometime. It sounds like we're at a similar level of play. I get up to the Bay area once in a while.

CrispyFritters
08-27-2010, 06:51 AM
Perhaps, we can get together for a match sometime. It sounds like we're at a similar level of play. I get up to the Bay area once in a while.

Sounds great. Sent you an email.

Commando Tennis Shorts
08-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Wow, I must just be a late bloomer or something. You guys get very good very quickly for some reason.

Anyway, for me, it was very slow b/c I didn't really have time to play a lot and get better.

From the time I picked up a racquet (I started late, around my late teens), it took me 2-3 years to become a solid 3.0. It toook me another 2 years to become a solid 3.5. And it took me another 3 years to get to 4.0.

I can't imagine making the jump from 3.0 to 4.0 or higher in less than two years. That's amazing for you guys, if true.

Mike2228
08-27-2010, 11:37 AM
I've been playing pretty much every day this summer and I can do everthing listed in the 3.5 ntrp scale. I havn't yet peaked and I have no idea how long it will be before I do.

GarrettReid
08-27-2010, 11:42 AM
I've been playing pretty much every day this summer and I can do everthing listed in the 3.5 ntrp scale. I havn't yet peaked and I have no idea how long it will be before I do.

I can do somethings at a 4.0 level, but other things (such as serve and consistency) I do on about a 2.0 level. But I'd put myself about 3.0 - 3.3 maybe.

Mike2228
08-27-2010, 11:45 AM
I can do somethings at a 4.0 level, but other things (such as serve and consistency) I do on about a 2.0 level. But I'd put myself about 3.0 - 3.3 maybe.

I believe I'm possibly 3.5 caliber, but on the lackluster end of it.

robert
08-27-2010, 11:56 AM
1 hour from 1.0 to 2.5
4 hours from 2.5 - 3.0
1 year from 3.5 -4.0
2 years from 4.0 -4.5

mtommer
08-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Well I've been at tennis now for about five years, minus the winter months. I have no level rating though.

sphinx780
08-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Let's see, first picked up a stick at 12, peaked about 17 4.5 level, played college ball at that peak, took 6 years off and a 2nd knee surgery, rated a 3.5 and got back to a midling 4.5 about 4 years later. Strokes were always there, the consistency took 4 years to get back. I'd still say college me is better than mid-30s me talent wise, but I'm a much more intelligent player now...as long as you ignore my sig!

I still wonder how much improvement I would have had with tennis lessons at some point during the first progression.

ace18
08-27-2010, 12:41 PM
started playing about 10, but got serious about 12/13, lettered 4 yrs in HS, team went to state 3 years and won state one year. Played lots of USTA tourneys while a junior, mostly 16s and 18s, had some really good wins, and some not so good losses, bad temper, :). Walked on at DII, but too much partying got me removed from campus, played 2 years of JUCO, qualified for JUCO Natl's in 1984 in Ocala, in 1986 played on 4.5 Volvo USTA league team that won MPLS city. Quit tennis until 2007. Started back at 3.5, bumped to 4.0 after 2 seasons of 3.5, bumped to 4.5 after 3 seasons of 4.0. Back to where I left off. Smarter player then when I was at 21 and younger, much more mellow, but worse serve, worse touch by a mile and worse fitness, about 30 extra lbs doesn't help. I hit much flatter then I did then and probably a little harder, i'm sure that's equipment.

kaleidoskope
08-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Before answering can you guys point me to somewhere I can get to know better what these ratings (2.0, 3.0 etc) you talk about mean? I never played in the US so I have no idea what would be my best level. I France (where I played my best level, some 15 years ago) I reached a 2.6 level (whateve that means :D)

kaleidoskope
08-27-2010, 12:58 PM
LMFAO.... Did you try a date with a vacuum claener?

I wouldn't go that way. Much better off with a telefunken U47...as long as you don't plook too hard...

kaleidoskope
08-27-2010, 01:02 PM
...I then started playing serious competitive matches and have averaged about 10-12 hours of tennis per week for the past 4 years...
Man, do I envy you. If I had partners I be on a tennis court at least a couple of hours everyday... and I'm 38...

GarrettReid
08-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Man, do I envy you. If I had partners I be on a tennis court at least a couple of hours everyday... and I'm 38...

If I had people to play with and lived somewhere that it didn't rain everyday at 4 o'clock I'd play 12-16 hours a week. :/

Bud
08-27-2010, 02:29 PM

Well, much has to do with the weather as well. In San Diego you can play all year round and there is never a shortage of players. I'll be playing doubles tonight for 3 hours and singles for 2 hours tomorrow morning :)

The competition is really fierce here in SoCal - because of the great weather and huge number of courts/players - it forces the serious player to improve quickly.

Join a league or other club and you'll find plenty of hitting partners. I had to cut back because I was playing too much (went from about 15 hours per week down to 10-12). At 15 hours per week, I was experiencing a bit of burnout and some physical issues.

Bedrock
08-27-2010, 02:30 PM
There is no such level as 2.0.
Yous should get there immediately right after you stepped on tennis count.:)
Obviously It takes all your live.

Angle Queen
08-28-2010, 08:00 AM
It been a long path over different dates, states and personal issues.

First racket in my hand was in 10th Grade Phys Ed class. Over that summer, our school (board) took some hits about our traditionally black high school not having a tennis (or golf) team. So they went out and hired the local country clubh pro to come teach us city hacks. But to their credit, and the coach they selected, the school was able to put together a team. A few girls had had lessons at somebody's club but the rest of us were just pulled together from the PE teacher's classes recommendation of who could actually hit the ball.

Our coach was great. Our team, not so much. But we had fun. Even won a few matches along the way. And we all walked away with many more skills to pursue the great lifetime sport tennis is.

So then at a Div 1 college, the courts were directly behind my dorm and I couldn't resist sneaking out to watch...and got lucky enough to get time being a hitting/warmup partner. The Coach even made some overtures about trying to be a walk-on but I took one look at my 18-hr semester requirement for Engineering and said, ah, no thank you.

Took racquetball in a required PE course and was hooked. Played that for 15 years...until it got too expensive to pursue (club memberships, etc) and too few competitive opportunities. Then took up high-end competitive volleyball...but that petered out when all my teammates had children old enough that they had to be shuffled everywhere.

Bored, *****less at home, hubs said...hey, didn't you play tennis in HS? Found a local rec league. Got hooked up with some USTA folks the very next year, and the rest is history.

So...how long have I been playing? Technically, since high school, way back in 1981. But realistically, I began my "adult" career in 2003 as a very legitimate self-rate 3.0. Since then, I've been pregnant...twice...and that's interrupted my progress. Even before last season's Big Bump, I considered myself a solid 3.5. Now...I'm that and more. And hoping I'll get moved up to 4.0.

Not bad for a 45-yr old Mommy of Two Cuties!

vtec407
09-01-2010, 11:37 PM
been playing for 16 years, still a 3.0....

tennis tom
09-02-2010, 06:37 AM
Nice write-up Angle Queen! Maybe you can get your cuties to become Andres and Steffies or Feds and Henins. The cutest thing I've seen on a tennis court was a family on vacation on Kahuai, taking a family lesson. They had a toddler in diapers, who couldn't walk yet, but he was hanging onto and pushing the ball-picker-upper; just doing his part.

Cheers

Angle Queen
09-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Nice write-up Angle Queen! Maybe you can get your cuties to become Andres and Steffies or Feds and Henins. The cutest thing I've seen on a tennis court was a family on vacation on Kahuai, taking a family lesson. They had a toddler in diapers, who couldn't walk yet, but he was hanging onto and pushing the ball-picker-upper; just doing his part.Thanks, TTom. But about those cuties being tennis players...yeah, that'd be in my dreams...but I'm not going to push them in that direction AT ALL. While I would like for them to play A sport and AN instrument (because I believe both athletic and musical pursuits are worthwhile), we're not going to dictate what specifically they have to be. Hopefully *big wish 'o Tennis Gods* they will see how much "Mommy" likes playing and it will inspire them to do the same. :-) All that said, I am soooo not ready to be a "Sports Parent". Just a quick peek at the Juniors forum here and I ran quickly away. No thanks.

cknobman
09-02-2010, 12:00 PM
been playing for 16 years, still a 3.0....

? seriously?

When you say 16 years do you mean consecutive? Or did you play a few years and then quit for 8-10 years and are just now getting back into it?

Im not intending to be an ahole or anything but I just dont think its possible to play that long as a 3.0 without being able to improve. For all intensive purposes 3.0 is basically a beginner level.

Cindysphinx
09-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Hmmm. Well, I was raised in a conservative part of a conservative state, graduating high school in 1979. Back then, there was no Title Nine and women's sports were viewed with contempt by many. The last thing on my mind was wasting my time playing a sport. I was going to need Mad Academic Skillz to get out of that particular nightmare.

In college, I took a one-credit course called "Tennis." It was some huge number of people and one instructor. We took our Wal-mart rackets out and batted the ball over the fence for an hour. I aced the final exam, a written test covering the rules of tennis. I remember only one thing the instructor said: "There should be no difference between your first and second serve." Oy.

Fast forward through education, career, kids. At age 45 in 2004, I had been at home for seven years with no end in sight. I was in good shape, but I found exercise for the sake of it to be getting a little dull. My sister (who lived out West) had been bitten by the tennis bug, and she talked my ear off about her matches, her teammate, her efforts to captain, her defeats at Districts. I figured I'd have a go.

I waltzed down to the county facility wearing -- I kid you not -- long running tights and a short-sleeved running shirt. One instructor, one court, eight beginners. I could immediately see that I had a future in this sport, as I was the only one who could judge the flight of a lobbed ball! :)

When April rolled around, my sister suggested I follow in her footsteps and start a new 2.5 team. I asked the tennis instructor for the name of the most promising beginners, and I hung up signs at a few tennis facilities to find players for our team. We did OK, finishing 4-9 on the season.

Alas, I wrecked my knee during the season and needed surgery in September 2005. That led to a long recovery and weight gain. :( In spring 2006, I was on the single worst 3.0 team in this time zone, and I lost all my matches. I could still get to a lot of balls, but I couldn't do a thing once I got there.

I started working with a pro, my knee healed, I lost the weight. Moved up to 3.5 in 2008 and have been there ever since. I'm rather enjoying getting some decent wins at 3.5 while also having some excitement at 4.0 and in mixed.

I can see that others progressed faster, but I figure I'm doing OK. I'm certainly having fun, and most important, I can beat my sister! :)

Fay
09-02-2010, 06:59 PM
.... I started working with a pro, my knee healed, I lost the weight. Moved up to 3.5 in 2008 and have been there ever since. I'm rather enjoying getting some decent wins at 3.5 while also having some excitement at 4.0 and in mixed....

You go Girl !

Cindysphinx
09-03-2010, 08:22 AM
You go Girl !

Thanks!

Yesterday, I wore the first tennis skirt I ever bought, after I figured out nobody played tennis in running tights. A Nike white skirt (not a skort!) with a red logo, a gray blaze and a pocket in the back, very short. That it still fits is a minor miracle! :)

mlktennis
09-04-2010, 05:32 PM
high 3.5 now- took about 7yrs to develop a strong foundation. I'm in my late 30's now.

First picked up a racquet while vacationing in California and a few family friends asked if I would like to play. I picked up a racquet and played like it was racquet ball and did pretty good. Flying around the court, I thought this sport was easy. Boy was I wrong!

Tennis came at the perfect time, settled in my career and family life stable.

First 2-3 yrs wasted just hitting around with same 1-2 guys trying to win and not really getting better. Thought I was 4.0 easy -but just another 3.0 pretender.

Got a few new partners of various styles who are solid 3.5 players. The typical pusher, counterpuncher, all courter and the big hitter...haven't found a s+v'er yet. Took my beatings and now dishing more than I get :)

last 4 yrs seriously devoted to the game and progress has been agonizingly slow breaking bad habits, building everything from the ground up and getting mentally tough. Did everything on my own via video/ internet and talk tennis (thanks). Finally giving up some hard earned dough for some lessons. Prob could have got here much quicker with regular lessons earlier but the journey has been a fullfilling one.

It will prob take me another yr or two to really compete and win with a solid 4.0...and we'll see if I plateau there or I can make a run toward 4.5 tennis. Alot depends on my body -if it holds up, if I can find the right pro to help take me to the next level, new hitting partners to continue to challenge me...and mentally if if will continue to have the passion to keep improving. We'll see....

GarrettReid
09-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Thought I was 4.0 easy -but just another 3.0 pretender.

This really sounds like me. :p

mlktennis
09-04-2010, 07:20 PM
yeah, people think their best 1 in 10 shot is their rally shot and wonder why they lose to the pusher. It's humbling to realize just how much better each 0.5 level is. I used to think I might make 5.0...uh...nope...not unless I can turn back the clock ten yrs.

That's why I love the...'oh I've been playing about 9 months, I'm prob a 4.0'.

goober
09-05-2010, 10:45 AM
I can't imagine making the jump from 3.0 to 4.0 or higher in less than two years. That's amazing for you guys, if true.

I actually know quite a few people who have done this as adults. But the thing is almost all of them stay at 4.0 or go to 4.5 and that is far as they go. I haven't actually met someone who started tennis in their 30s or 40s that became a legit 5.0+ level player. It is not really how fast you get there. Most recreational players top out at 4.0-4.5 no matter how long it took them to get there from what I have seen.

Lunaticalm
09-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Not as fast as I wanted to. I started tennis two years ago getting a few lessons here and there with the intention to be as well-rounded a player as possible in 3 months but unfortunately, family issues and other responsibilities were getting in the way of my tennis. It also didn't help that I have no regular hitting partner to play with so my skills stagnated. I actually hadn't played since July 2009 to May 2010 but I'm playing now again, about 4 to 5 times a month with a paid coach (I know, pathetic) since I can't find a regular hitting partner.

As for my repertoire of shots and physical abilites, my forehand is potent but can breakdown in the course of the match. 2 handed backhand is quite solid but not enough pace. As for the serve, it's actually my favorite shot as it is very consistent. Thanks to FYB and Tennis.com, I learned the slice and topspin serves pretty quickly but my flat serve needs more improvement. Terrible net skills and touch shots, average movement, but improved stamina courtesy of some pilates, some footwork drills and Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred.

As for NTRP rating, I am really not familiar about this, but if I rated myself now, maybe about a 1.5.

GarrettReid
09-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Not as fast as I wanted to. I started tennis two years ago getting a few lessons here and there with the intention to be as well-rounded a player as possible in 3 months but unfortunately, family issues and other responsibilities were getting in the way of my tennis. It also didn't help that I have no regular hitting partner to play with so my skills stagnated. I actually hadn't played since July 2009 to May 2010 but I'm playing now again, about 4 to 5 times a month with a paid coach (I know, pathetic) since I can't find a regular hitting partner.

As for my repertoire of shots and physical abilites, my forehand is potent but can breakdown in the course of the match. 2 handed backhand is quite solid but not enough pace. As for the serve, it's actually my favorite shot as it is very consistent. Thanks to FYB and Tennis.com, I learned the slice and topspin serves pretty quickly but my flat serve needs more improvement. Terrible net skills and touch shots, average movement, but improved stamina courtesy of some pilates, some footwork drills and Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred.

As for NTRP rating, I am really not familiar about this, but if I rated myself now, maybe about a 1.5.

You're surely higher then 1.5.

A 1.5 is someone who just walked on a tennis court.

Lunaticalm
09-06-2010, 02:50 AM
Oh, okay. Thanks for the clarification.

new_tennis_player
09-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Well, it depends on your coaching (if any) and how serious you are.

I was probably around 3 in high school when I first tried tennis. But I never improved since I didn't have any coaching and wasn't serious about the game.

Now, in my thirties, I've been slowed by injuries, which leave me with large gaps of time where I can't/won't play.

I'm still 3.0! :)

I'd say I have close to 9 months of total tennis experience (playing on average once a week). But, I've only been really interested with the intention of improving for 3 months.

Wow, I must just be a late bloomer or something. You guys get very good very quickly for some reason.

Anyway, for me, it was very slow b/c I didn't really have time to play a lot and get better.

From the time I picked up a racquet (I started late, around my late teens), it took me 2-3 years to become a solid 3.0. It toook me another 2 years to become a solid 3.5. And it took me another 3 years to get to 4.0.

AlexDK09
09-12-2010, 10:37 AM
I've been playing since 2003 I guess and I've always been a 3.0. The reason is because I just didn't played many tournaments, only three per year or so. I started playing tournaments again this year and I play in 3.5 tournaments (ending up playing against 4.0-4.5 players in cat 3.5 :shock:). I'm aiming to play approximately 7-8 tournaments in 2011 and I'm trying to become a 4.0-4.5 player.

pyrokid
09-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Just like...

oh about 60% of my life...

Not seriously until the last few years though.

Vertiz
09-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Started playing tennis seriously in 09. Played for 5 months in '09 and elected to not play indoors during the winter because of track and field. Played from march 2010 - now which is 6 months. In total I have 11 months of serious tennis and I am a 4.0 player.

ProgressoR
09-15-2010, 03:32 AM
It took me about 8 months to reach my current level.

And yes, I am rubbish.

Winning Ugly
09-16-2010, 07:26 AM
? seriously?

When you say 16 years do you mean consecutive? Or did you play a few years and then quit for 8-10 years and are just now getting back into it?

Im not intending to be an ahole or anything but I just dont think its possible to play that long as a 3.0 without being able to improve. For all intensive purposes 3.0 is basically a beginner level.

Trust me, it is possible. I know guys who love the game but whose athletic ability or physical limitations/injuries keep them from ever getting enough wins to get bumped. It's like golf -- at some point you reach a plateau that fits you and it is hard to break thru. My wife is a very good athlete and won consistently for 10 years at 3.0 but never got bumped until she quit her 3.0 team and convinced a friend to play her frequently on her 3.5 team. 30% wins at that level, and no matches at the 3.0 level, is apparently what it took for her to get rated up. I also know a guy who played college tennis at a pretty high level, but a succession of knee injuries, some weight gain, and only playing once/week has him down to 3.5 and he loses 70% of his matches there -- his game would probably not get bumped up if he happened to be rated 3.0 and only played against 3.0's.

3.0 is NOT a beginner where I play. Not that it's a great level of play, but at our club I see plenty of 2.0-2.5 hackers (not all "beginners," some are 10-15X/year players) and enthusiastic 3.0's who just won't get better.

jhick
09-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Not sure. I started playing around 10-11 yrs old and then progressed through high school, where I'm guessing I was maybe a 4.0 player (I played the top doubles position on a strong HS team). After that I played 3 years for a D3 college team in Wisconsin and got up to 2nd singles there. After all of that I started USTA. Played one season at 4.0 and got bumped up to a 4.5 real quick. Then I was competitive in singles for quite a few years at 4.5 and went exclusively to doubles after having kids. Got bumped up to a 5.0 last year based on the major shift movement from the USTA.

I would venture to guess that I'm currently a high 4.5/low 5.0 doubles player and average 4.5 singles player at this point.