PDA

View Full Version : Babolat RPM blast VS Technifibre black code.

kevin-118
08-24-2010, 09:43 PM
hello,

i would like to know how these strings stack up to each other. Currently i am using the new six one tour 90 BLX and a head microgel prestige midplus. the tension in my BLX is 45/50 a hybrid. while my other micogel is abt 54?

I am looking for more spin in my game and have been searching for strings with more bite. i was thinking of putting the rpm blast in my blx and the black code in the microgel with tension being around the low 50s. i also have heard abt the high loss of tension in the rpm blast is that true? even though i might not be so particular about tension but a huge loss would definitely affect anyones game.

Do give me yout suggestions on what i strings i should put in and the suitable gauge. (it could be other stings too) and the suitable tension is should be at to get the max spin without compromising too much on durability.

your help would go far in helping me play better.

thank you very much,
kevin

flashfire276
08-25-2010, 11:36 AM
There's been a lot of comparison between those 2 strings. Have you tried using the search tool?

ManuGinobili
08-25-2010, 08:10 PM
unless there is a sentimental connection between you and Babolat, I would not recommend RPM

Keep reading around the forum. Here are some names to take notice of (disclaimer: I have not tried all, just saying they're popular spin strings here): Kirschbaum Spiky Shark, Solinco Tour Bite, Genesis SpinX, Weisscannon Turbotwist, Signum Pro Tornado/Hyperion... and of course Black Code

chaddles
08-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Cyclone - I am an avid Lux addict and I still enjoy this string for some reason.

Hooked
08-26-2010, 03:50 AM
I use RPM Blast and MSV Focus EVO - both 16G strung at 60+ in my K90s and would urge you try one. The MSV may be the best deal in a Poly right now in my humble opinion. It plays very similar to RPM Blast for about half the cost. Please read this:

http://blog.tenniswarehouse.com/?p=1363

It is a chart comparing the coefficient of friction (which is the most important aspect of a string in terms of producing spin) of several popular polys. It is by no means complete but very eye opening. A good reality check in a sea of personal opinions and perceptions that can be difficult to wade through and potentially misleading.

SliceForehand
08-26-2010, 06:38 AM
I use RPM Blast and MSV Focus EVO - both 16G strung at 60+ in my K90s and would urge you try one. The MSV may be the best deal in a Poly right now in my humble opinion. It plays very similar to RPM Blast for about half the cost. Please read this:

http://blog.tenniswarehouse.com/?p=1363

It is a chart comparing the coefficient of friction (which is the most important aspect of a string in terms of producing spin) of several popular polys. It is by no means complete but very eye opening. A good reality check in a sea of personal opinions and perceptions that can be difficult to wade through and potentially misleading.
Full poly at 62 pounds in K90s?? Has your arm fallen off yet? You're going to get hurt with that, man.

Hooked
08-26-2010, 07:40 AM
Full poly at 62 pounds in K90s?? Has your arm fallen off yet? You're going to get hurt with that, man.

It actually plays a lot more comfortable than you may think. They are weighted up and have tremendous stability and plow through. Heavy balls are not an issue and I have the arm strength to play with the weight through 3 sets if needed. The string tension keeps the string bed firm, but it is pretty comfortable. I developed TE early on when I was playing with a much lighter and slightly head heavy stick that I was squeezing the handle too tightly on. That led me down the path of using heavy, head-light sticks. I retired my light racquet and switched to the K90 after I really hurt my elbow playing paddle tennis one night. Since then I have gotten over my TE all while using the K90's at high tension. I was initially worried that using a poly at high tension may aggrevate my TE, but it has not been an issue. I did switch from Lux strings which I felt were a bit to stiff for my liking and went dead far too quickly - even for a poly. Since then it's been softer co-polys at high tension (mostly RPM Blast) and I am really liking the combo. It's not for everyone, but I really like mid frames at high tension. Most everything else feels like a rocket launcher to me.

nickarnold2000
08-26-2010, 08:18 AM
It actually plays a lot more comfortable than you may think. They are weighted up and have tremendous stability and plow through. Heavy balls are not an issue and I have the arm strength to play with the weight through 3 sets if needed. The string tension keeps the string bed firm, but it is pretty comfortable. I developed TE early on when I was playing with a much lighter and slightly head heavy stick that I was squeezing the handle too tightly on. That led me down the path of using heavy, head-light sticks. I retired my light racquet and switched to the K90 after I really hurt my elbow playing paddle tennis one night. Since then I have gotten over my TE all while using the K90's at high tension. I was initially worried that using a poly at high tension may aggrevate my TE, but it has not been an issue. I did switch from Lux strings which I felt were a bit to stiff for my liking and went dead far too quickly - even for a poly. Since then it's been softer co-polys at high tension (mostly RPM Blast) and I am really liking the combo. It's not for everyone, but I really like mid frames at high tension. Most everything else feels like a rocket launcher to me.
Just for kicks try low tension at 35-40lbs(pls see low tension thread). I was very skeptical too at first but if you hit with topspin the extra ball dwell time imparts even more spin to keep the ball from flying out! It's added an extra dimension to my game. :)

kevin-118
08-26-2010, 05:16 PM
hahah oh yes actually i've been reading about the up on rpm blast but there are very mixed views on it some would say its very good and produces alot of spin. some say it retains tension not too badly for a poly? Some say the other way round.hahah so i'm confused. hmmm i've actually never tried babolat strings before and so was just wanting to experiment with new settings. hmmm

Hooked
08-27-2010, 04:04 AM
Just for kicks try low tension at 35-40lbs(pls see low tension thread). I was very skeptical too at first but if you hit with topspin the extra ball dwell time imparts even more spin to keep the ball from flying out! It's added an extra dimension to my game. :)

I think I will when I need to restring one of my K90s. I've been watching those threads and it has caught my interest. A good friend of mine is also itching to try low tension.

Hooked
08-27-2010, 04:14 AM
hahah oh yes actually i've been reading about the up on rpm blast but there are very mixed views on it some would say its very good and produces alot of spin. some say it retains tension not too badly for a poly? Some say the other way round.hahah so i'm confused. hmmm i've actually never tried babolat strings before and so was just wanting to experiment with new settings. hmmm

My experience with RPM Blast is that it produces a lot of spin, has good durability and retains tension pretty well for a poly. I have it on 6 frames currently and I don't understand why some people say it has the opposite properties. I think of myself as a pretty objective person and wonder that some of those opinions are simply based on a negative perception related to a dislike of Babolat or to the massive marketing hype that surrounds the string. Or perhaps the cost. I would suggest trying it our for yourself. I think you will be impressed. Your opponents will likely comment on your new found spin. If the cost is an issue, try MSV Focus EVO. It's about half the price (in the US anyway) and has very similar properties to Blast in my opinion. I can easily switch between my K90s (one with Blast , the other with Focus EVO) and the adjustment only takes a few swings. Probably more to do with the slight tension delta between them right now than anything else.

kevin-118
08-27-2010, 04:22 AM
hahaha wow thats good to hear..hmmm i was thinking about putting tension to abt 48-50 for the rpm in my blx and the same would be done to the black code in my prestige microgel. what do you think of this combination?

thanks