PDA

View Full Version : Cheap dropweight machine: after 300th job, so far, so good! (very good actually)

Hidious
08-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Unsatisfied with the local sports store's incompetent stringer(1), i bought a cheap ATS SuperStringerII dropweight machine a few years ago; wow, best 200$ i've ever spent. If you are not familiar with the red SuperStringerII machine, i believe it's identical to the blue Gamma X-2, but don't quote me on this..

I just strung my 300th racquet today and that number got me thinking: how long is this thing going to hold up? Three hundred racquets strung and i have yet to run into a problem. And i have to admit, i'm not really the maintenance type of guy, it's just not happening. Knocking on wood here but i expect something to break soon. Modern products aren't made to last that long... or so says my uncle.

Let's see what we have:
1- String gripper: this thing can't keep gripping strings indefinitely, right? It has to lose some gripping power one day or the other. I guess i can just change the sandpaper type material when this day comes, if it does come?
2- Tension head mechanism: i'm surprised this click-inducing mechanism is still working as good as it was on day 1. It's a good thing though because i suppose the whole machine dies with this part in the event of a clicking failure or malfunction. Or can you actually just change this part of the machine for a reasonable price?
3- Flying clamps: They are light, plastic, red and look like cheap toys but... don't judge too quickly. They are still going strong after 300 racquets and show no sign of fatigue, just like the rest. Definitely not viewing them as "cheap toys" anymore, they do get the job done...
4- What else could break/wear out?

Anybody else out there still going strong with their cheap little dropweight?

(1) I brought him a full 40ft Cyberflash package with another unopened 40ft of some syn gut for a hybrid job and he gave me back 10ft of each string trying to explain to me that it was delusional to expect 2 x 20ft back in order to string another racquet. "Not possible", according to him.

Irvin
08-25-2010, 02:35 AM
1 - I would not clean that gripper with sand paper. I like to take a pipe cleaner and dip it in alcohol and run it back and forth through the gripper.

3 - I have some old flying clamps I got with my first stringer and they are 30 years old and still working.

4 - I have heard since mankind is using up everything the earth is getting smaller. If it gets too small gravity will be effected and your stringer will not pull at the same tension any more. LOL

Irvin

Hidious
08-25-2010, 09:00 AM
1 - I would not clean that gripper with sand paper. I like to take a pipe cleaner and dip it in alcohol and run it back and forth through the gripper.
Not sure we're understanding each other correctly here; I'm not planing on cleaning the gripper with sandpaper, i don't know where you read that idea. I was mentioning sandpaper because the material used in the gripper looks a lot like sandpaper. Good tip, i'll remember alcohol if i ever need to clean it.

3 - I have some old flying clamps I got with my first stringer and they are 30 years old and still working.
Wow, that's just great.

4 - I have heard since mankind is using up everything the earth is getting smaller. If it gets too small gravity will be effected and your stringer will not pull at the same tension any more. LOL
Good point. Can't avoid this :(

Irvin

Bud
08-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Unsatisfied with the local sports store's incompetent stringer(1), i bought a cheap ATS SuperStringerII dropweight machine a few years ago; wow, best 200$ i've ever spent. If you are not familiar with the red SuperStringerII machine, i believe it's identical to the blue Gamma X-2, but don't quote me on this..

I just strung my 300th racquet today and that number got me thinking: how long is this thing going to hold up? Three hundred racquets strung and i have yet to run into a problem. And i have to admit, i'm not really the maintenance type of guy, it's just not happening. Knocking on wood here but i expect something to break soon. Modern products aren't made to last that long... or so says my uncle.

Let's see what we have:
1- String gripper: this thing can't keep gripping strings indefinitely, right? It has to lose some gripping power one day or the other. I guess i can just change the sandpaper type material when this day comes, if it does come?
2- Tension head mechanism: i'm surprised this click-inducing mechanism is still working as good as it was on day 1. It's a good thing though because i suppose the whole machine dies with this part in the event of a clicking failure or malfunction. Or can you actually just change this part of the machine for a reasonable price?
3- Flying clamps: They are light, plastic, red and look like cheap toys but... don't judge too quickly. They are still going strong after 300 racquets and show no sign of fatigue, just like the rest. Definitely not viewing them as "cheap toys" anymore, they do get the job done...
4- What else could break/wear out?

Anybody else out there still going strong with their cheap little dropweight?

(1) I brought him a full 40ft Cyberflash package with another unopened 40ft of some syn gut for a hybrid job and he gave me back 10ft of each string trying to explain to me that it was delusional to expect 2 x 20ft back in order to string another racquet. "Not possible", according to him.

I agree... strung hundreds of frames on my X-2 and love it. The machine (and clamps) still work(s) like new.

- - - -

What's your average stringing time per frame? (mine is about 45 minutes - usually while watching TV)

What's your quickest stringing time per frame - while still maintaining quality and not burning grommets? (I can string a frame with a high-quality string job in about 25 minutes).

Irvin
08-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Not sure how your gripper is made but most of them are diamond dusted and not sanded. If you sand off the diamond dusting you will have a sanded gripper.

Irvin

jgrushing
08-25-2010, 06:06 PM
I'm impressed that you've kept a reasonable count. I estimate that I've strung 400 - 500 racquets on my Klippermate. Still have the original everything...can't come up with any good reason to change. I'd say that the people who trash entry level dropweights have never strung any/many racquets on them.

Hidious
08-25-2010, 10:01 PM
What's your average stringing time per frame? (mine is about 45 minutes - usually while watching TV)

What's your quickest stringing time per frame - while still maintaining quality and not burning grommets? (I can string a frame with a high-quality string job in about 25 minutes).
Not sure, i'm not really a "timing" type of guy but when do you start the clock exactly? When having a strung frame in hand that you have to remove the strings and mount? What about the strings, do you start timing with an unopened package or uncut/unmeasured strings from a reel? I noticed that the TW speed experts start timing their jobs from a mounted frame and 40ft of string in hand, it seems.

I'm impressed that you've kept a reasonable count.
Yea well, i've been keeping a stringing digest/diary since day 1. (Not a native speaker, should i use the word digest or diary here?)

tennisnoob3
09-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Not sure, i'm not really a "timing" type of guy but when do you start the clock exactly? When having a strung frame in hand that you have to remove the strings and mount? What about the strings, do you start timing with an unopened package or uncut/unmeasured strings from a reel? I noticed that the TW speed experts start timing their jobs from a mounted frame and 40ft of string in hand, it seems.

Yea well, i've been keeping a stringing digest/diary since day 1. (Not a native speaker, should i use the word digest or diary here?)

both diary and digest work

bcart1991
09-07-2010, 05:00 AM
My Klippermate is still going strong. I bought it back in '98.

pingu
09-09-2010, 12:47 PM
My Klippermate is still going strong. I bought it back in '98.

That maybe the reason why they offer Lifetime Warranty on those machines :)
Knock on wood, my Klippermate is still going strong also after these years.

loubapache
09-20-2010, 05:58 AM
I have the same SuperStringerII for about 5 years but did not count how many rackets I strung. It is pretty good but I wish the clamps are the fixed type. I will probably look for a better one just because I wanted a better one. The SuperStringerII is quite sufficient.

max
09-20-2010, 06:10 AM
You know what's funny? The reason I bought my Klippermate over the Super Stringer/X2 is exactly because I figured the diamond dust would get worn out or the ratchet mechanism fail---my thinking being along the lines of the engineer's dictum that fewer parts mean less potential for mechanical failure. I also saw a catalogue selling the ratchet head separately, which suggested to me that they wore out.

So I went Kmate and never looked back. It's been great. Overall the dropweights have less to go wrong with them.

Clintspin
09-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Bought a klippermate in 1987, used it for years, passed in to a kid, he used it for about 3 years, got it back a few months ago, cleaned it up and found it to work as well as it did new in 1987.

max
09-21-2010, 08:31 AM
Bought a klippermate in 1987, used it for years, passed in to a kid, he used it for about 3 years, got it back a few months ago, cleaned it up and found it to work as well as it did new in 1987.

That's a great story. :)

struggle
09-21-2010, 09:50 AM

i bought a used one in 1985-6 from my club pro (he had used it in college). i used it a few years and passed it on. wish i still had it. mine had the drawer (like the 280) and even had an add-on primitive 6 point support/mounting system/bracket. also, it had linear grippers on the tension head.