PDA

View Full Version : Srting suggestions please....

Woztron
08-25-2010, 05:27 AM
With my epic racket quest now over (settled on 2 Exo3 Rebel 95 teams- not eveyones cup of tea but suits my game the best at the moment), i'm now after some stringing advice.
I've previously been playing with full bed of Pro Supex Big Ace at 57lb (in ADPC), but have started with some mild tennis elbow. Just wondering if a hybrid of poly and something a bit softer would be enough of a change or should i switch to full multi all together.

With regards my preferences i guess i like a nice blend of power and control and obviously a good deal of comfort! Durability would be a nice bonus although i'm not a heavy string breaker so they dont have to be super durable.

Looking to spend no more than 10 (about $15) per set.
As i'm a bit of a novice when it comes to strings, any suggestions on types/makes and tension greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Woztron
08-25-2010, 05:28 AM
Forgot to spell check the title....doh!:)

Falloutjr
08-25-2010, 05:49 AM
Based on what you described, I would suggest Ashaway Dynamite 17 mains/Babolat Revenge 17g crosses. I don't have any experience with the strings myself, but Ashaway Dynamite is considered the most gut-like multi on the market today, has good pop and feel to it for about 8.50 a set, and is very soft; will soften up the feel of Revenge. The revenge is a good control-oriented copoly that will be a good option to tame the power of the Dynamite and give you what you're looking for in terms of control. Based on what I know about these strings:

power should be great
control should be good/great
durability should below average/average
spin production should be below average/average
tension maintenance should be average/good
feel will be good/great
arm comfort should be above average/good

This would run you about 12.25 a string job, it's a bit pricey, and, again, no experience with this setup, so I wouldn't overstock on the stuff.

Woztron
08-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Based on what you described, I would suggest Ashaway Dynamite 17 mains/Babolat Revenge 17g crosses. I don't have any experience with the strings myself, but Ashaway Dynamite is considered the most gut-like multi on the market today, has good pop and feel to it for about 8.50 a set, and is very soft; will soften up the feel of Revenge. The revenge is a good control-oriented copoly that will be a good option to tame the power of the Dynamite and give you what you're looking for in terms of control. Based on what I know about these strings:

power should be great
control should be good/great
durability should below average/average
spin production should be below average/average
tension maintenance should be average/good
feel will be good/great
arm comfort should be above average/good

This would run you about 12.25 a string job, it's a bit pricey, and, again, no experience with this setup, so I wouldn't overstock on the stuff.

Ideally i would like a bit more spin . I like the idea of a hybrid, possibly maxim touch and a spin friendly poly. Just wondering how this sort of setup rates in terms of arm friendlyness. My case of tennis elbow is only mild, and after reading some other threads on TE may have only been brought on by playing with some dead strings (i'm still a bit of a novice in terms of string knowledge and this was my first full poly setup so took me a while to tell they'd gone).

aangstman01
08-26-2010, 02:04 PM
My personal opinion on this is to go with a full bed of multi or a poly main/multi cross...first a full bed of multi is always very comfortable, and powerful. I personally like technifibre nrg2 and thats like 12 or 13 USD (so kinda spendy) the only reason i dont like a full bed of multi is that its too powerful sometimes, however with the tight pattern in your racket it might be a good fit. However, the other option of a poly main/multi cross hybrid, which is my current set up. The pluses of this are the poly provides a good bit on the ball, and it tames downs the power of the multi, but the multi in turn gives the poly some pop, so i feel its a nice combo if your arm can handle it, polys are know for tearing elbows up, but if you find a softer poly for the mains i think you will be okay, just get some polys, some multis and play around. Just for clarification the reason i dont recommend a multi main/poly cross set up is because i feel like the poly crosses just kill the feel of the multi in the mains, but some people like that, so give em all a try and see what you like, and what doesn't hurt your arm

Woztron
08-26-2010, 02:30 PM
My personal opinion on this is to go with a full bed of multi or a poly main/multi cross...first a full bed of multi is always very comfortable, and powerful. I personally like technifibre nrg2 and thats like 12 or 13 USD (so kinda spendy) the only reason i dont like a full bed of multi is that its too powerful sometimes, however with the tight pattern in your racket it might be a good fit. However, the other option of a poly main/multi cross hybrid, which is my current set up. The pluses of this are the poly provides a good bit on the ball, and it tames downs the power of the multi, but the multi in turn gives the poly some pop, so i feel its a nice combo if your arm can handle it, polys are know for tearing elbows up, but if you find a softer poly for the mains i think you will be okay, just get some polys, some multis and play around. Just for clarification the reason i dont recommend a multi main/poly cross set up is because i feel like the poly crosses just kill the feel of the multi in the mains, but some people like that, so give em all a try and see what you like, and what doesn't hurt your arm

What sort of tension would you recommend for a full bed of nrg2 in my rebel team (18x20 95 sq.in)?

Falloutjr
08-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Ideally i would like a bit more spin . I like the idea of a hybrid, possibly maxim touch and a spin friendly poly. Just wondering how this sort of setup rates in terms of arm friendlyness. My case of tennis elbow is only mild, and after reading some other threads on TE may have only been brought on by playing with some dead strings (i'm still a bit of a novice in terms of string knowledge and this was my first full poly setup so took me a while to tell they'd gone).

Like I said in my first post, it would be pretty soft, and really, you could play with a full setup of multi and generate as much spin as you want. Strings don't give you spin, they give you greater access to spin. You still have to MAKE the ball spin for this to work, and you should still be able to generate a high enough amount of spin to keep the ball in play through form alone.

Woztron
08-27-2010, 03:22 AM
Like I said in my first post, it would be pretty soft, and really, you could play with a full setup of multi and generate as much spin as you want. Strings don't give you spin, they give you greater access to spin. You still have to MAKE the ball spin for this to work, and you should still be able to generate a high enough amount of spin to keep the ball in play through form alone.

I totally agree that form and technique are a much bigger factor in how you hit the ball than equipment, but even with my limited experience of different strings i can tell how home some offer easier access to spin than others. I'm not looking for a miracle string thats going to make me spin it like Nadal, just something that might mean i can get a little more spin without having to make drastic adjustments to my strokes.