PDA

View Full Version : Control-oriented poly?

Falloutjr
08-25-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm going through a transition where I'm going from a spinny player to a more flat, penetrating hitter and I'm looking to switch from my Pro Hurricane 18g setup. I wanna use a hybrid with Gosen OG Sheep Micro 18g in the mains, and need a good control-oriented poly in the crosses. Something that has good feel, power, and touch. Not concerned about spin, durability, price, or stiffness. Any suggestions will be considered, though for the record I've been looking into Babolat Revenge. Thank you :D

bsardana
08-25-2010, 01:14 PM
... need a good control-oriented poly in the crosses. Something that has good feel, power, and touch

Two strings you might want to try:

1) Signum Poly Plasma (the original one)
2) Silverstring

Mr_Shiver
08-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Signum pro poly plasma is great for control. It has less power than PHT so you might want to drop the tension a bit. It holds tension better than any poly I have tried, so you wont lose control as quick. Weiscanon Scorpion had really good control as well. Of course you can't beat those first 3-5 hours of BB alu. It dies quick but those precious first hours are bliss.

meowmix
08-25-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm a little confused. You're looking for a control oriented poly that provides power, feel, and touch? Do you want control or power?

Babolat Revenge is a decent poly. Lasts quite long, maintains tension well, but is just stiff as heck. Not powerful, decent feel and touch although not great by any standards. Something that provides some nice feel, touch and power would be Genesis Black Magic.

Falloutjr
08-25-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm a little confused. You're looking for a control oriented poly that provides power, feel, and touch? Do you want control or power?

Babolat Revenge is a decent poly. Lasts quite long, maintains tension well, but is just stiff as heck. Not powerful, decent feel and touch although not great by any standards. Something that provides some nice feel, touch and power would be Genesis Black Magic.

I guess if I had to choose, I'd choose power. I can control the power myself, need a lively stringbed.

EDIT: Just for reference, I don't use Pro Hurricane Tour.

bsardana
08-25-2010, 04:53 PM
I guess if I had to choose, I'd choose power. I can control the power myself, need a lively stringbed.

Ah! That changes the equation a bit. Try:

1) Signum Hyperion
2) Geneis Spin-X (a bit stiff on the arm)

flashfire276
08-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Gosen Polylon. Very control oriented, durable, and very low priced!

Uvijek Argen
08-25-2010, 05:18 PM
Falloutjr, before going crazy with other strings in the crosses you should try the same Pro hurricane 18 that you use with the Gosen that you want.

In my 3rd racquet I did Quasi Gut 17 with Pro Hurricane in the crosses and its just fine. Seem that you know your game pretty well, so that will be my best bet.

Falloutjr
08-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Well, I do have a set of both laying in my bag, I could try it. I want more power out of this setup though, I last had my PH done at 52 and it was extremely underpowered for me, though I'm not sure what tension to string the Gosen at. I don't want it to start trampolining on me from the get-go. Would 46/50 work, maybe? Or should I go a bit lower.

ManuGinobili
08-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Misleading title lol... polys are supposed to be control oriented anyway

The most lively poly has to be Blue Gear, however very few people play with it 'cause it seems to be too lively.

Good feel, power& touch.... my favorite/weapon of choice is PolyStar Energy, and while people's opinions vary I think it's still a string that's worth a test play... other strings that fit (and kinda fit) this are Genesis Black Magic, both of Mantis polys, Signum Pro Hyperion

Uvijek Argen
08-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Well, I do have a set of both laying in my bag, I could try it. I want more power out of this setup though, I last had my PH done at 52 and it was extremely underpowered for me, though I'm not sure what tension to string the Gosen at. I don't want it to start trampolining on me from the get-go. Would 46/50 work, maybe? Or should I go a bit lower.

I have my set at 49# quasi gut 17g/ 46# Pro Hurricane 17g.

Get the Gosen 3-4 pounds higher than the PH in whatever tension you decide.

Its like everything, we try things and is a hit or miss. For example lately I try quasi gut in the crosses and it didn't work for me, then as a full bed and it was "meh", but my last try putting it in the main with the poly and it works.

Hope you find your set up soon!!8)

Falloutjr
08-25-2010, 08:11 PM
I have my set at 49# quasi gut 17g/ 46# Pro Hurricane 17g.

Get the Gosen 3-4 pounds higher than the PH in whatever tension you decide.

Its like everything, we try things and is a hit or miss. For example lately I try quasi gut in the crosses and it didn't work for me, then as a full bed and it was "meh", but my last try putting it in the main with the poly and it works.

Hope you find your set up soon!!8)

Why wouldn't I want the PH to be lower than the Gosen?

Uvijek Argen
08-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Disregard about the tension that I suggest for you, for some reason I think everybody its in the same boat as me of coming from TE and wrist pain.....Yes go ahead and try 46/50 and see if that works. Anyhow if it doesn't both strings are cheap, so no lost...right?

Falloutjr
08-26-2010, 11:01 AM
I was looking at some of the hybrids pros use (the ones who use NG mains and poly crosses) they string their mains tighter than crosses, seems like it could work as

1. IDK how powerful it'll be and
2. Polys play better at lower tensions.

Guess I'll try 51/48.

Falloutjr
08-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Well, I got down there and settled on 48/45. I wanted more power, might as well string a little low. I wanted that trampoline effect anyways.

Icedorb217
08-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Ah! That changes the equation a bit. Try:

1) Signum Hyperion
2) Geneis Spin-X (a bit stiff on the arm)

+1 on Spin-X but it is not stiff at all! Its soft.

Falloutjr
08-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Oh my is all I have to say about this setup so far. Very powerful. I actually hit balls long today o.O that hasn't happened to me in I don't know how long. Is the extra depth worth it? IDK yet, but I'm still on the fence atm.

big bang
08-27-2010, 12:33 PM
sounds to me like you need to try a hybrid!, you want both control and power, the question is how much control? (full bed of poly?), how much power? (full bed of gut/multi?). you said you prefer power over control, but if you still want more control than gut/multi/syn-gut has to offer, then you need to hybrid!

Falloutjr
08-28-2010, 06:22 PM
sounds to me like you need to try a hybrid!, you want both control and power, the question is how much control? (full bed of poly?), how much power? (full bed of gut/multi?). you said you prefer power over control, but if you still want more control than gut/multi/syn-gut has to offer, then you need to hybrid!

I did hybrid, syn/poly. I played a tournament with the bed today, and didn't find myself thinking about it, didn't hit more balls long than usual, and I had an easier time flattening out the ball when I needed to. It still was a pain fixing the mains after every point though :/ that never happens when I use a full bed of poly. It's not something I feel compelled to cut out, but it's not a good enough hybrid for me to wanna keep. Still trying to find something I can say is my go-to setup. Might try PHT/Dynamite.

xinunix
08-28-2010, 07:22 PM
+1 for Weiss Cannon Scorpion 1.22, great combo of power, spin, feel and control. Very unique feel, durable and holds tension well. I use it in a full bed in my Speedport Pro Whites at 57/57, it has definitely become my go-to string.

Mr_Shiver
08-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Have you tried keeping a full bed of poly but string the crosses and mains at different tensions? A friend of mine does this. He says it offers a good power control. He has experimented with a bunch of tensions. I can't remember exactly what it is now but one is in the low 40s and the other around 60. Haven't tried it but it sounds interesting. Might do it when i break my next string.

Falloutjr
08-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Have you tried keeping a full bed of poly but string the crosses and mains at different tensions? A friend of mine does this. He says it offers a good power control. He has experimented with a bunch of tensions. I can't remember exactly what it is now but one is in the low 40s and the other around 60. Haven't tried it but it sounds interesting. Might do it when i break my next string.

I don't know if I could string a poly in the 60s, I often string polys in the low 40s o.O I had trouble getting good pace with full poly at 48.

Netspirit
08-29-2010, 09:11 PM
The difference between the tensions in your mains and crosses shall not be >5 lbs. You friend essentially deformed his frame.

Mr_Shiver
08-30-2010, 02:27 PM
The difference between the tensions in your mains and crosses shall not be >5 lbs. You friend essentially deformed his frame.

Maybe I wont experiment with this then....thanks for the heads up.