PDA

View Full Version : Im doing budget Federer setups:

pvaudio
08-25-2010, 07:50 PM
What is the best cross string to use? I like in order of precedence:

VS Mains/Spin X
NRG2 18 Mains/Turbotwist
VS Mains/Silverstring

I'm trying to find out what the best mains combination would be since I have numerous crosses to try. Anyone think that a typhooon cross would be good? I'm asking tentatively since I may switch sticks next year anyway to something a bit larger (AG100 is 90''^2, looking at the new 4dAG100 and the Yonex Rdis100 93). Either way, does anyone have any good "budget" gut setups? Yes, I've tried the VS/ALU-R setup and cannot stand it. I need the touch of a multi since I can generate the spin myself. Any ideas? I'm thinking of laserfibre mains with SpinX cross. The advantage to the above is that gut is super easy to string and silverstring is the easiest poly i've found to string to date. Unfortunately, it doesn't work well as a cross with VS. Thoughts?

Hidious
08-25-2010, 11:40 PM
The advantage to the above is that gut is super easy to string and silverstring is the easiest poly i've found to string to date. Unfortunately, it doesn't work well as a cross with VS. Thoughts?
May i ask what is not working well with Silverstring as a cross for VS? I'm planning on trying a gut hybrid that i would like to keep for a decent period (not a string breaker) and i was leaning toward Silverstring. It seems like it has one of the best tension maintenance for a poly which really is the key characteristic for the poly i'll choose to cross with gut. SPPP is the other obvious choice but i've never liked this string, feels kind of mushy to me... Not trying to hijack the thread but what other poly should i consider?

pvaudio
08-26-2010, 12:07 AM
The silverstring removes all of the feel of the gut, and I mean all of the feel. It feels too stiff in comparison whereas the SpinX seems to amplify the feeling of the gut.

ClubHoUno
08-26-2010, 01:38 AM
May i ask what is not working well with Silverstring as a cross for VS? I'm planning on trying a gut hybrid that i would like to keep for a decent period (not a string breaker) and i was leaning toward Silverstring. It seems like it has one of the best tension maintenance for a poly which really is the key characteristic for the poly i'll choose to cross with gut. SPPP is the other obvious choice but i've never liked this string, feels kind of mushy to me... Not trying to hijack the thread but what other poly should i consider?

The silverstring removes all of the feel of the gut, and I mean all of the feel. It feels too stiff in comparison whereas the SpinX seems to amplify the feeling of the gut.

I disagree completely.

Silverstring is one of the softest polys available.

I normally prefer Luxilon Alu power and Alu rough as cross string in my VS Team nat gut mains hybrid, but some times I use some of my Silverstring 1.20 as cross, and the Silverstring feels softer and more gentle, but lacks a bit of the crisp feel the Alu has.

Silverstring is used as many players cross string in a ant gut hybrid in here.....and they love the soft feel from it.

pvaudio
08-26-2010, 07:21 AM
Well since it's just many and not all, then I'm one of the few who doesn't like Silverstring as a cross. Perhaps I strung it too tightly, but I already like Turbotwist and SpinX so much better. Unfortunately, Silverstring is probably the easiest poly to string that you can buy today (if you can beat that statement, please say so!!). I love my NRG/TubTws hybrids so much that I don't know if I even want to go back to gut due to the price. I ha ve, however, bought a bunch of my absolute FAVORITE multi: laserfibre supernatural gut: pro stock, and will be trying that out with the softest poly that I have. That string defies all belief, let me tell you.

Anyone else got ideas on a good main/poly cross combination for excellent feel? I'm a big server...

(117mph @ 15 yrs old, 124mph @ 20 yrs old, but on a handheld gun which is only rated for 110mph accuracy, however I have now switched to a 105-110mph topspin first serve which according to my sister(who is also on here to verify), came in and kicked over her head before she could hit it :D )

...who has a better 1HBH as far as consistency goes, but my forehand is my money maker. I don't know if that helps any, but that's what I've got!

[d]ragon
08-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Why not Klip Legend and Cyberflash? I've never tried it but if I were try try a budget NG set-up, that's what I'd try first. Or if you really want the VS mains, then try Cyberflash in the cross.

IMO, Cyberflash and Typhoon are the 2 strings that come closes to ALU. Of the 2, Typhoon was the closest in getting that amazing spin and pop that fresh ALU has but it does have abit more power than ALU. Cyberflash still has good spin but is more control oriented. Both hold tension and playability better than ALU

Hidious
08-26-2010, 12:42 PM
^^ What about Tourna Big Hitter silver? I read it's also close to ALU but for a better price than Cyberflash.

Hotrocks
08-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Save yourself a bunch of money and GO Mantis Power Poly and Power Synthetic. I was using VS gut, but refuse to pay 42.95 for a set of strings when crosses with a poly. Give Mantis strings a try....you will be surprised@ the performance.

vincent_tennis
08-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Global Gut + Alu Rough, Works quite well

NLBwell
08-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Well since it's just many and not all, then I'm one of the few who doesn't like Silverstring as a cross. Perhaps I strung it too tightly, but I already like Turbotwist and SpinX so much better. Unfortunately, Silverstring is probably the easiest poly to string that you can buy today (if you can beat that statement, please say so!!). I love my NRG/TubTws hybrids so much that I don't know if I even want to go back to gut due to the price. I ha ve, however, bought a bunch of my absolute FAVORITE multi: laserfibre supernatural gut: pro stock, and will be trying that out with the softest poly that I have. That string defies all belief, let me tell you.

Anyone else got ideas on a good main/poly cross combination for excellent feel? I'm a big server...

(117mph @ 15 yrs old, 124mph @ 20 yrs old, but on a handheld gun which is only rated for 110mph accuracy, however I have now switched to a 105-110mph topspin first serve which according to my sister(who is also on here to verify), came in and kicked over her head before she could hit it :D )

...who has a better 1HBH as far as consistency goes, but my forehand is my money maker. I don't know if that helps any, but that's what I've got!

I remember your serve video - you definitely can get some big pop on the serve. Good for you for getting a good topspin first serve (which way does your toe point?). Just for cost reasons, if nothing else, it would be great to find a setup with the Laserfiber. I'm sure people here would be interested in trying what you find best.

Mig1NC
08-27-2010, 02:46 AM

Funny thing, I have some Global Gut and Typhoon I was thinking about stringing up.

I would reccomend you try Typhoon. Excellent tension maintenance, way cheaper than ALU. Very crisp feeling with good pop.

kiteboard
08-27-2010, 08:05 AM

Or global/bbo.

Mig1NC
08-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Just remember if you are using Global to not go over 55 lbs or it will most likely snap during stringing.

But if you are doing a Federer setup of 50/47 you should be ok.

So, yeah. My vote for budget Federer setup is Global/Typhoon.

kiteboard
08-27-2010, 11:11 AM
What is the best cross string to use? I like in order of precedence:

VS Mains/Spin X
NRG2 18 Mains/Turbotwist
VS Mains/Silverstring

I'm trying to find out what the best mains combination would be since I have numerous crosses to try. Anyone think that a typhooon cross would be good? I'm asking tentatively since I may switch sticks next year anyway to something a bit larger (AG100 is 90''^2, looking at the new 4dAG100 and the Yonex Rdis100 93). Either way, does anyone have any good "budget" gut setups? Yes, I've tried the VS/ALU-R setup and cannot stand it. I need the touch of a multi since I can generate the spin myself. Any ideas? I'm thinking of laserfibre mains with SpinX cross. The advantage to the above is that gut is super easy to string and silverstring is the easiest poly i've found to string to date. Unfortunately, it doesn't work well as a cross with VS. Thoughts?

Or global gut with spin x.

kiteboard
08-27-2010, 11:12 AM
Just remember if you are using Global to not go over 55 lbs or it will most likely snap during stringing.

But if you are doing a Federer setup of 50/47 you should be ok.

So, yeah. My vote for budget Federer setup is Global/Typhoon.

I string it at 60 and have never had a snap, but it's the 15g.

iTennis2609
08-27-2010, 08:30 PM
which according to my sister(who is also on here to verify), came in and kicked over her head before she could hit it :D )

Verified. But for the record, it was our opponent's head ( a woman about 5'4'') and not my head :)

Back on topic...I tried the VS mains/Silverstring cross hybrid and liked it. It was my first time playing with natural gut so take that for what it's worth. I'll definitely give the NRG2/Turbotwist hybrid a shot and probably VS/Spin X.

pvaudio
08-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Meh your head, her head, whatever haha. I got a HUGE load of string coming in now that I'm now doing a lot more volume, and I bought 8 sets of the string, so I'll give you 2-3 since they owed me from taking four years to get me my last order. I'm so excited to try the Laserfibre/Turbotwist setup. Can't wait for it to show up.

iTennis2609
08-31-2010, 01:08 PM
Sweet. I have 3 new frames on the way now that I'm done demoing. That's 3 new string setups to tinker with :)