PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the numbers on Quasi Gut 17

sstchur
08-25-2010, 09:16 PM
I found that page on the USRSA / Racquetsportsindustry web site that reviews the 16g.

But I'm interested in the USRSA numbers (specifically stiffness) of the 17g Quasi Gut.

Anyone happen to have it?

Falloutjr
08-25-2010, 09:32 PM
I found that page on the USRSA / Racquetsportsindustry web site that reviews the 16g.

But I'm interested in the USRSA numbers (specifically stiffness) of the 17g Quasi Gut.

Anyone happen to have it?

Well, if you can't find the specific numbers, generally a string one gauge thinner has 80-90% the stiffness of a string one gauge thicker.

sstchur
08-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Well, if you can't find the specific numbers, generally a string one gauge thinner has 80-90% the stiffness of a string one gauge thicker.

Ok thanks. That gives me a sort of ballpark. I was particularly interested to see if the stiffness rating for QG 17 is close to what it is for Maxim Touch 17. I know Maxim Touch 16 is significantly stiffer than Maxim Touch 17.

The only number I have for QG stiffness is for the 16g, which is 185.

MT16 is 190, but MT17 is 153, so if that is any indication, one would think QG may indeed have a stiffness rating in that ballpark of MT17's.

mikeler
08-26-2010, 05:41 AM
Sometimes 17g string is stiffer than 16g so I think you really need to wait until they do their tests next year and maybe that string will get included.

sstchur
08-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Sometimes 17g string is stiffer than 16g so I think you really need to wait until they do their tests next year and maybe that string will get included.

Really? Bizarre.

I used to have a web only membership to USRSA, where you could use their string selector tool to look up almost any string. I'd bet they probably have the numbers for QG17, even if they didn't do a formal play test and write up a review on it.

Anyone have access to the USRSA web site who can check?

JT_2eighty
08-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Really? Bizarre.

I used to have a web only membership to USRSA, where you could use their string selector tool to look up almost any string. I'd bet they probably have the numbers for QG17, even if they didn't do a formal play test and write up a review on it.

Anyone have access to the USRSA web site who can check?

As of now they just have the 16g. Seems they only post new stuff once a year, so most likely will have to wait til the 2011 issue. But yes, sometimes a thinner gauge will be stiffer, sometimes softer. Manufacturers can change the make-up of various gauges to accomplish either end, so there is no way to know for sure without either trying it yourself or waiting for the USRSA lab tests.

barry
08-27-2010, 06:51 AM
I do not have the numbers on the quasi gut 17, but comparing 16 gauge quasi gut with maxim touch 16, quasi feels softer and for my customers plays better. Almost like NRG, excellent string.

The feedback I get is the 16 last longer and provides more feel and pop.