PDA

View Full Version : Now that all Purdue club players are gone, I need to take over

pvaudio
08-25-2010, 11:46 PM
Hey guys, there's only two other stringers in the city here, as it is, I have an extremely large amount of strings here, but I need to expand to cover all bases. I want to know what you guys think are appropriate reels to purchase. So far I have:

Technifibre NRG2 as my go-to multi
Gosen OG Micro 18
Forten Sweet 17
Gosen OG Micro 17
Couple sets of PSGO
Numerous polys, name brand of which is 5 sets of Lux ALU Power

What else should I keep in good stock? This shouldn't be a hard endeavour, let me tell you as the prices are ridiculous, but I realize that most people won't know what Genesis Typhoon or Big Ace Micro are and while they're brilliant, preconceived notions are more powerful than coercive discussion. Anything else do you think that I should add to the list? I plan on conversing with each customer about their playing style to see what exactly they are looking for as well so that I can string up some Signum Pro Poly Plasma and etc.

Note: That list is NOT a list of the reels that I own, rather it's a list of strings that a basically educated tennis player would know. I don't expect anyone to know Weisscannon Turbotwist or Genesis SpinX ;)

pepka
08-26-2010, 01:38 AM
I bet You have PHT and BC among Your polys;) I would get some head rip control, wilson nxt and excel's. Try to find some Mantis and let the people try it out. I'm sure they will be back for more. Grab some multis from TF as well (TVG, NRG-2, x3). GOOD LUCK

pepka
08-26-2010, 01:43 AM
Sorry bud i can't edit my post, since You already have nrg2 get some x-one. Again best of luck

pvaudio
09-03-2010, 03:17 PM
I will post a list of everything I have, but I do have a reel of PHT, but no more black code. I have head rip perfect control, and and going to buy some NXT since people know it. Any other suggestions would be excellent!

dadozen
09-03-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm in Brazil, so what tennis players need and want might be so different, but here all stringers MUST have:

Signum Pro Poly Plasma AKA The Orange One( although the players know it only as Signum Pro - they don't know that there are lots of models, such as Tornado, Hyperion, Deluxe, Pure... )

Luxilon - as soon as people know that Federer plays it, they want it, no matter which model it is

PHT - the string Nadal used to us

RPM Blast - Although almost everyone doesn't know he changed strings, if someone reaches you wanting Nadal's new string, you better have it

Well, best of luck in your business. I hope you succeed against those stringers with ridiculous prices and turnaround times.

!<-_->!
09-03-2010, 08:40 PM
I'd say probably stock a 16g synthetic gut as it seems you only have the thinner variants

acer4tennis
09-04-2010, 03:35 PM
What else should I keep in good stock? This shouldn't be a hard endeavour, let me tell you as the prices are ridiculous, but I realize that most people won't know what Genesis Typhoon or Big Ace Micro are and while they're brilliant, preconceived notions are more powerful than coercive discussion. Anything else do you think that I should add to the list? I plan on conversing with each customer about their playing style to see what exactly they are looking for as well so that I can string up some Signum Pro Poly Plasma and etc.

Note: That list is NOT a list of the reels that I own, rather it's a list of strings that a basically educated tennis player would know. I don't expect anyone to know Weisscannon Turbotwist or Genesis SpinX ;)

I would have these strings as well. I think, you would be a unique in your territory and by introducing these strings, you would get assurance (if they like it) that your customers come back to you year after year. Cheaper strings, but you can charged as much.

pvaudio
09-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Yes, I have PHT and plenty of Luxilon. I also have both SPPP and the HEX version.

njsigman
09-04-2010, 05:29 PM
I don't use it, but it is pretty commonplace and classic. Prince Synthetic Gut...

Netspirit
09-04-2010, 05:33 PM
VS team
Tournament nylon

Emphasize thinner gauges as the customers will come to you more often. )

star 5 15
09-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Prince duralfex
Luxilon ALU
PHT
RPM Blast.
NXT
TNT

Keep it simple with well known brands. I've learned this the hard way. Yeah something like GEnesis whatever might be great most people dont know that and aren't willing to change and will just go elsewhere. Keep it simple with the big names.

Archmage
09-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Why not just keep a small stock of the lesser known brands? Then certain people may be enticed to experiment, and there are bound to be a few players who have seen the names mentioned online, or who already use the niche products.

You can consider a small quantity of:

- Signum Pro Poly Plasma orange (local shop has this)
- Topspin Cyberflash (My local pro-shop has Topspin strings)
- Weisscannon Scorpion, Turbotwist, and/or Silverstring (My local shop has Scorpion and Turbotwist)
- Solinco (Local shop also has Tour Bite and Revolution now!)
- Genesis - why not? I've never tried them, but they have decent online exposure.

I, too, would encourage the use of thinner gauges (17 over 16).

This shop I'm referring to uses a Babolat 5-star machine, and charges $10-$12 for string-jobs; $5 for racquet grommet installation.

I've seen that the following are popular choices: RPM-blast, Luxilon ALU and original, Technifibre strings (black and red-code too), NXT, synthetic guts.

I wish the guy would stock some of the better grips:

- Babolat skin feel
- TW THIN leather
- Gamma Supreme and Grip2 (thin) overgrips

He also overcharges for tennis balls, so I noticed that those do not sell well.

Maybe you could have a bag of the specific Agassi-favorite Rubberbands and charge 10-25 cents per RB-dampener.

It'd be nice to keep a courtesy Balance-Board and scale at hand as well.

NLBwell
09-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Star 5 15 has a pretty good take.

Only string you must have is PSGD 16 - the basic string for most people.
TNT is a good idea for an in-between string.
Lots of people use NXT for their multi and will want to keep it. I personally like NXT Max for a string that has some added durability if you want to stock another.
Lux Alu for the high end poly. If you can afford to stock it, I would add PHT or RPM Blast. You could go with SPPP for a lower-cost poly.