PDA

View Full Version : nail polish as replacement for Babolat All Season Varnish?

kenyee
08-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Has anyone tried using nail polish as an alternative to the now discontinued All Season Varnish?

I found one post on this forum from some guy using it and people telling him he was an idiot but he said it increased the longevity of his frayed gut by a month so maybe he wasn't an idiot :-)

tlm
08-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Ya i used it on nat. gut+it worked very well for patching big frays, it will help get some more life out your gut.

kenyee
09-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Just to keep everyone updated on this science project.
Clear nail polish seems to work fine so far. Main negative is it seems a bit thick compared to the old Babolat Varnish so it tends to blob more. Smell is similar, so I still suspect their varnish is basically diluted nail polish. I might using some nail polish thinner on it. The string fraying is much less. Feel seems about the same to me...

parasailing
09-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Just to keep everyone updated on this science project.
Clear nail polish seems to work fine so far. Main negative is it seems a bit thick compared to the old Babolat Varnish so it tends to blob more. Smell is similar, so I still suspect their varnish is basically diluted nail polish. I might using some nail polish thinner on it. The string fraying is much less. Feel seems about the same to me...

Keep us updated on updated on how it goes. I am interested in what your results will be with the thinner.

GMay
09-04-2010, 02:17 PM
My coach tells me to use clear nail polish on my gut strings to make them last longer. I tried it once as I was going on a trip and would be going from very hot Phoenix to somewhat cooler Central Oregon which always makes my gut strings break. It seemed to work okay. Although the strings still broke when I got home.

I have a lot of frayed strings right now so should probably put some more on to make it last a bit longer.

Winky
09-04-2010, 02:39 PM
I found one post on this forum from some guy using it and people telling him he was an idiot

Most posters here on TT have zero social power in real life so they choose to call people names online where the recipient of their little-man wrath can't directly confront them. Generally if the folks here call you names you can be sure you're doing something right. I'd be interested to hear how your experiment turns out.

acer4tennis
09-04-2010, 04:09 PM
I believe clear nail polish based on acetone. In reality it could damage your strings. I could be wrong.