PDA

View Full Version : Why are crosses much looser then mains?

jhutch
08-26-2010, 05:35 PM
I did a search and found nothing on this...while measuring the tension on a racquet I just strung, a full bed of poly at 58lbs. The mains were close or at 58 and the crosses were 45 or 50lbs. Do crosses loose tension really fast or do they not tension all the way?

rich s
08-26-2010, 05:39 PM
I did a search and found nothing on this...while measuring the tension on a racquet I just strung, a full bed of poly at 58lbs. The mains were close or at 58 and the crosses were 45 or 50lbs. Do crosses loose tension really fast or do they not tension all the way?

you weave the crosses thru 16 or 18 mains depending on your racquet. When you pull tension on the crosses they press against the mains and generate friction. This friction reduces the amount of tension applied.... if you are stringing at 58 lb and the crosses measure 50 lb, you are losing 8 lb to friction.

Bugs
08-26-2010, 06:05 PM
How did you measure the tension??

Irvin
08-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Are you stringing the racket with hybrid strings? If the racket a Prince O port racket?

Irvin

jhutch
08-26-2010, 06:36 PM
No it was an APDC. With a tourna stringmeter

drakulie
08-26-2010, 06:49 PM
How did you happen to only get a reading the crosses??? :confused:

jhutch
08-26-2010, 06:56 PM
With the the tourna stringmeter

drakulie
08-26-2010, 07:12 PM
^^Yes, I realize what tool you are using. I have one too. For this device to work, you need to put the pins of the meter in opposing holes (diagonal to one another), which results for it crossing over a main and cross. So, I'm wondering how you were able to get a reading on just the crosses??

rich s
08-26-2010, 07:19 PM
^^Yes, I realize what tool you are using. I have one too. For this device to work, you need to put the pins of the meter in opposing holes (diagonal to one another), which results for it crossing over a main and cross. So, I'm wondering how you were able to get a reading on just the crosses??

Drak, if you turn the racquet 90 deg you can measure just the crosses the same way you measure the mains......

I know you can measure the mains before or after you weave the crosses, but he's saying he strung the racquet, measured the mains then the crosses.....

drakulie
08-26-2010, 07:24 PM
^^I understand that. but you should get the exact same reading, regardless of which way the racquet is turned.

edit: Never mind. I see what he did.

petercoffey
08-26-2010, 07:32 PM
When you take a reading on the mains before stringing the crosses, I would suspect it is lower than your 58 reading. Assuming the crosses, while not reaching 58 themselves, would increase the tension of the mains as they are pulled...no?

rich s
08-26-2010, 07:57 PM
When you take a reading on the mains before stringing the crosses, I would suspect it is lower than your 58 reading. Assuming the crosses, while not reaching 58 themselves, would increase the tension of the mains as they are pulled...no?

theoretically the mains without the crosses should be close to 58 because the reference tension was set for 58....and then they should go up from there when the crosess are installed......

he didn't measure the mains by themselves.... he strung the entire racquet and measured the mains then the crosses.

on a side note.....the stringmeter has settings to measure the mains with and without crosses strung to account for the above.